Re: [podcasters] Re: Migrating Feedburner to Google

    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
      On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

      > One thing we do with our stats system is we have a duplicate server that
      > is online 24/7 that does nothing but wait for the day the primary
      > machine goes down.

      That's great. Redundancy is good. But I think you missed my point.
      I'm not really worried about RawVoice Stats having downtime. Your
      point of contention wasn't downtime, it was "What if Google decides to
      stop offering this service?" That's something you could decide for
      your stats service just as easily. MORE easily, as you're a smaller
      company.

      And my point is that all of this "at the mercy of Google" talk is a
      strawman. If we configure our domains correctly at the outset, we're
      not at risk with Feedburner any more than we are with any other hosted
      service. If Feedburner goes away, I reconfigure so I'm no longer
      pointing to it. If RawVoice Stats goes away, I reconfigure so I'm no
      longer pointing to it. I'm not saying either service will go away.
      I'm just saying the risk is managed. There's no "danger" here.

      > The main concern I have always had on
      > feedburner is why use it in the first place it is not needed. Stats on a
      > rss feed are elementary, and being we built our own podcast stats system
      > which I and our advertisers trust completely, plus I don't have to worry
      > about my user data being mined and sold to the highest bidder by Google.

      I'll tell you why I use it. One simple number (the circulation
      count), and one simple date graph that I can use to track my growth.
      RawVoice Stats doesn't offer that. RawVoice Stats gives me numbers
      per episode per month, but if I want to analyze them I'm on my own.

      There's a virtue in simplicity. Feedburner's stats are *simple*, and
      sometimes that trumps thoroughness. It really does.

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Todd Cochrane
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
        Stephen

        Your on the premium service and you have access to the graph that shows
        month to month consumption on your show.. We should have a daily/weekly
        consumption graph as well. We have a list of enhancements we are about
        to start working on and I think that would be a good addition. Always
        feel free to drop us suggestions on what info to provide that we done
        currently we have all the data it is just a matter of putting it in the
        correct visual format.. We have had a couple of submissions drawn on a
        piece of paper so we will take any inputs...

        Todd...

        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
          On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

          > Your on the premium service and you have access to the graph that shows
          > month to month consumption on your show.. We should have a daily/weekly
          > consumption graph as well.

          That sounds very useful. Where are those graphs located? What I see
          is a dropdown allowing me to choose "Summary," "Overall," and all of
          the months that I've been with the service. I also have icons to
          print to a printer or to PDF. (I always choose the printer and then
          "Save as PDF" from my Mac, because the PDF report from RawVoice
          inserts blank pages.)

          The "Overall" and monthly pages have some pie charts for platform,
          client and country, but everything else is tabular totals. There are
          no date graphs anywhere that I can find. Not monthly, weekly, nor
          daily. Just so that there's no confusion on what I'm looking at, I
          saved some screenshots and PDF reports, and uploaded them here:

          http://www.scribd.com/people/documents/7086716/folder/65960

          If I'm missing some obvious in the interface for the date graphs,
          Todd, I'd love to know where to click to see them. And anyone else
          who wants to know what the RawVoice Stats interface looks like...
          Well, there you go. Those are my stats and I freely consent for
          anyone to look at them or share them. Just don't change them, sell
          them, or rickroll them.

          > We have a list of enhancements we are about
          > to start working on and I think that would be a good addition. Always
          > feel free to drop us suggestions on what info to provide that we done
          > currently we have all the data it is just a matter of putting it in the
          > correct visual format.. We have had a couple of submissions drawn on a
          > piece of paper so we will take any inputs...

          Fabulous. Since you're soliciting feedback, a few other minor nits:

          1.) I'm not getting the weekly e-mail reports that I specified in the
          settings.

          2.) The colored country map isn't very useful. The United States (1.1
          million downloads) and Canada (86,000 downloads) are exactly the same
          shade of blue. Some of Europe is a lighter blue, and the rest of the
          world is white even though I know I have downloads in South America.

          3.) When I clicked on the "Full List" link under that country table, I
          got an error popup saying "Premium Users Only." I thought I *am* a
          premium user. You've confirmed in this thread that I'm a premium
          user. I know I paid money for all three podcasts last Spring. Am I
          just configured wrong in your system?

          4.) Finally, I never received any info about creating read-only
          "guest" accounts for advertising clients, which Angelo had said was a
          coming-soon feature when I signed on last March. Is that available
          yet?

          If I can offer any additional information that might help, please let me know.

          Oh... And even if I did have date graphs from RawVoice, that wouldn't
          entirely replace FeedBurner's usefulness for me. They have access to
          different metrics than you do. I use RawVoice to track my download
          stats and FeedBurner to track my feed stats. The two spheres together
          are complementary, and you're both valuable in different ways.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Todd Cochrane
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
            Stephen

            I think I know what may have happened you signed up for our stats
            service before we offered the premium service and your account never got
            upgraded. I have extended your service a year as you should have been on
            Premium since about July. Be sure to let us know immediately if
            something does not look right in the future..

            1. You should be getting those daily emails with the stats data have
            pinged Angelo on that.
            2. The world map feedback is great
            3. Yepp you should be able to see full list versus abridged list.
            4. Email me the username, password and which of the 3 programs you wants
            that account to access.

            Anytime you have a technical issue im a email away or you can submit a
            ticket via the contact link on the website..

            Todd

            > If I'm missing some obvious in the interface for the date graphs,
            > Todd, I'd love to know where to click to see them. And anyone else
            > who wants to know what the RawVoice Stats interface looks like...
            > Well, there you go. Those are my stats and I freely consent for
            > anyone to look at them or share them. Just don't change them, sell
            > them, or rickroll them.

            In the pull down you should see a Tab that says trending (Angelo
            Investigating)