RE: [podcasters] Re: Migrating Feedburner to Google

  • Mike Wills
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 26, 2009
      I am in the same boat. All feeds now go through feeds.podcastmike.com. If
      feedburner kicks the bucket... Within an hour my feed would be backonline
      (gotta keep time in there for DNS to update).

      --
      Mike Wills
      Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
        Stephen

        One thing we do with our stats system is we have a duplicate server that
        is online 24/7 that does nothing but wait for the day the primary
        machine goes down. Within a minute of a failure on the primary system
        (now online more than 16 months without a hiccup (knock on wood)) the
        secondary machine would pick up where the primary left off and 5 phones
        start ringing at the same time as we jump on getting the primary machine
        back online. But the infrastructure does not stop there as media
        measurement and delivery of content is priority 1

        No system is perfect and I am sure ours has flaws but we have done the
        best we can to mitigate issues.

        But with feedburner you have the most powerful internet company on the
        planet in charge of infrastructure and yet they have massive numbers of
        feed timeouts. partial feeds, delayed feed updating and the list goes
        on.. Those that have decided to use it live with those issues after all
        it's there audiences not mine. The main concern I have always had on
        feedburner is why use it in the first place it is not needed. Stats on a
        rss feed are elementary, and being we built our own podcast stats system
        which I and our advertisers trust completely, plus I don't have to worry
        about my user data being mined and sold to the highest bidder by Google.

        There are always plus and minuses to anything :)

        Todd..

        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
          On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

          > One thing we do with our stats system is we have a duplicate server that
          > is online 24/7 that does nothing but wait for the day the primary
          > machine goes down.

          That's great. Redundancy is good. But I think you missed my point.
          I'm not really worried about RawVoice Stats having downtime. Your
          point of contention wasn't downtime, it was "What if Google decides to
          stop offering this service?" That's something you could decide for
          your stats service just as easily. MORE easily, as you're a smaller
          company.

          And my point is that all of this "at the mercy of Google" talk is a
          strawman. If we configure our domains correctly at the outset, we're
          not at risk with Feedburner any more than we are with any other hosted
          service. If Feedburner goes away, I reconfigure so I'm no longer
          pointing to it. If RawVoice Stats goes away, I reconfigure so I'm no
          longer pointing to it. I'm not saying either service will go away.
          I'm just saying the risk is managed. There's no "danger" here.

          > The main concern I have always had on
          > feedburner is why use it in the first place it is not needed. Stats on a
          > rss feed are elementary, and being we built our own podcast stats system
          > which I and our advertisers trust completely, plus I don't have to worry
          > about my user data being mined and sold to the highest bidder by Google.

          I'll tell you why I use it. One simple number (the circulation
          count), and one simple date graph that I can use to track my growth.
          RawVoice Stats doesn't offer that. RawVoice Stats gives me numbers
          per episode per month, but if I want to analyze them I'm on my own.

          There's a virtue in simplicity. Feedburner's stats are *simple*, and
          sometimes that trumps thoroughness. It really does.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Todd Cochrane
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
            Stephen

            Your on the premium service and you have access to the graph that shows
            month to month consumption on your show.. We should have a daily/weekly
            consumption graph as well. We have a list of enhancements we are about
            to start working on and I think that would be a good addition. Always
            feel free to drop us suggestions on what info to provide that we done
            currently we have all the data it is just a matter of putting it in the
            correct visual format.. We have had a couple of submissions drawn on a
            piece of paper so we will take any inputs...

            Todd...

            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
              On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

              > Your on the premium service and you have access to the graph that shows
              > month to month consumption on your show.. We should have a daily/weekly
              > consumption graph as well.

              That sounds very useful. Where are those graphs located? What I see
              is a dropdown allowing me to choose "Summary," "Overall," and all of
              the months that I've been with the service. I also have icons to
              print to a printer or to PDF. (I always choose the printer and then
              "Save as PDF" from my Mac, because the PDF report from RawVoice
              inserts blank pages.)

              The "Overall" and monthly pages have some pie charts for platform,
              client and country, but everything else is tabular totals. There are
              no date graphs anywhere that I can find. Not monthly, weekly, nor
              daily. Just so that there's no confusion on what I'm looking at, I
              saved some screenshots and PDF reports, and uploaded them here:

              http://www.scribd.com/people/documents/7086716/folder/65960

              If I'm missing some obvious in the interface for the date graphs,
              Todd, I'd love to know where to click to see them. And anyone else
              who wants to know what the RawVoice Stats interface looks like...
              Well, there you go. Those are my stats and I freely consent for
              anyone to look at them or share them. Just don't change them, sell
              them, or rickroll them.

              > We have a list of enhancements we are about
              > to start working on and I think that would be a good addition. Always
              > feel free to drop us suggestions on what info to provide that we done
              > currently we have all the data it is just a matter of putting it in the
              > correct visual format.. We have had a couple of submissions drawn on a
              > piece of paper so we will take any inputs...

              Fabulous. Since you're soliciting feedback, a few other minor nits:

              1.) I'm not getting the weekly e-mail reports that I specified in the
              settings.

              2.) The colored country map isn't very useful. The United States (1.1
              million downloads) and Canada (86,000 downloads) are exactly the same
              shade of blue. Some of Europe is a lighter blue, and the rest of the
              world is white even though I know I have downloads in South America.

              3.) When I clicked on the "Full List" link under that country table, I
              got an error popup saying "Premium Users Only." I thought I *am* a
              premium user. You've confirmed in this thread that I'm a premium
              user. I know I paid money for all three podcasts last Spring. Am I
              just configured wrong in your system?

              4.) Finally, I never received any info about creating read-only
              "guest" accounts for advertising clients, which Angelo had said was a
              coming-soon feature when I signed on last March. Is that available
              yet?

              If I can offer any additional information that might help, please let me know.

              Oh... And even if I did have date graphs from RawVoice, that wouldn't
              entirely replace FeedBurner's usefulness for me. They have access to
              different metrics than you do. I use RawVoice to track my download
              stats and FeedBurner to track my feed stats. The two spheres together
              are complementary, and you're both valuable in different ways.

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • Todd Cochrane
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
                Stephen

                I think I know what may have happened you signed up for our stats
                service before we offered the premium service and your account never got
                upgraded. I have extended your service a year as you should have been on
                Premium since about July. Be sure to let us know immediately if
                something does not look right in the future..

                1. You should be getting those daily emails with the stats data have
                pinged Angelo on that.
                2. The world map feedback is great
                3. Yepp you should be able to see full list versus abridged list.
                4. Email me the username, password and which of the 3 programs you wants
                that account to access.

                Anytime you have a technical issue im a email away or you can submit a
                ticket via the contact link on the website..

                Todd

                > If I'm missing some obvious in the interface for the date graphs,
                > Todd, I'd love to know where to click to see them. And anyone else
                > who wants to know what the RawVoice Stats interface looks like...
                > Well, there you go. Those are my stats and I freely consent for
                > anyone to look at them or share them. Just don't change them, sell
                > them, or rickroll them.

                In the pull down you should see a Tab that says trending (Angelo
                Investigating)