Migrating Feedburner to Google

  • nycedeli
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 17, 2009
      Has anyone had any issues migrating their Feedburner accounts to
      Google? Last night I got an automated prompt from Feedburner (when I
      went to log in) telling me that I had to migrate my accounts over to
      Google. I heard that this was happening and that I would have to do
      this sooner or later so I went ahead. The general info assured me that
      there would be a redirect from the old Feedburner URL to the new one.

      Well, this morning I go to my Feedburner account and 97% of my
      subscriber count is gone. Vanished into thin air. Do you think these
      subscribers have disappeared forever or it's just a temporary thing?
      Do I need to tell my listeners to resubscribe and rebuild my
      subscriber base from scratch? (Majority of them are subscribing from
      iTunes.) If it isn't temporary...well, let's just say that I will be
      very, very depressed since I had almost 2000 subscribers and it took
      me a long time to get to that number.

      I've posted this question over at the Google/Feedburner Help forum but
      I've never gotten a reply to my questions over there in the past, so
      I'm hoping somewhere here in the Yahoo Podcasters group has had
      experience with this.

      Thanks in advance.
    • farmersagentdm
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 17, 2009
        I would contact feedburner directly. If you don't have their contact
        info, just put their url in at http://domainwhitepages.com and try to
        look up an owner, or contact person or email.

        Sounds like a bad situation tho
        mules

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "nycedeli" <lavenividivici@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone had any issues migrating their Feedburner accounts to
        > Google? Last night I got an automated prompt from Feedburner (when I
        > went to log in) telling me that I had to migrate my accounts over to
        > Google. I heard that this was happening and that I would have to do
        > this sooner or later so I went ahead. The general info assured me that
        > there would be a redirect from the old Feedburner URL to the new one.
        >
        > Well, this morning I go to my Feedburner account and 97% of my
        > subscriber count is gone. Vanished into thin air. Do you think these
        > subscribers have disappeared forever or it's just a temporary thing?
        > Do I need to tell my listeners to resubscribe and rebuild my
        > subscriber base from scratch? (Majority of them are subscribing from
        > iTunes.) If it isn't temporary...well, let's just say that I will be
        > very, very depressed since I had almost 2000 subscribers and it took
        > me a long time to get to that number.
        >
        > I've posted this question over at the Google/Feedburner Help forum but
        > I've never gotten a reply to my questions over there in the past, so
        > I'm hoping somewhere here in the Yahoo Podcasters group has had
        > experience with this.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

      • writerpatrick
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 18, 2009
          wrote:

          > Has anyone had any issues migrating their Feedburner accounts to
          > Google? Last night I got an automated prompt from Feedburner (when I
          > went to log in) telling me that I had to migrate my accounts over to
          > Google. I heard that this was happening and that I would have to do
          > this sooner or later so I went ahead. The general info assured me
          that
          > there would be a redirect from the old Feedburner URL to the new
          one.

          > Well, this morning I go to my Feedburner account and 97% of my
          > subscriber count is gone. Vanished into thin air. Do you think these
          > subscribers have disappeared forever or it's just a temporary thing?
          > Do I need to tell my listeners to resubscribe and rebuild my
          > subscriber base from scratch? (Majority of them are subscribing from
          > iTunes.) If it isn't temporary...well, let's just say that I will be
          > very, very depressed since I had almost 2000 subscribers and it took
          > me a long time to get to that number.

          Their FAQ says it could take up to a week to transfer the stats, so
          it might have transferred them but they aren't showing up yet. So it
          would probably be best to wait a week and see if anything changes
          before doing anything.
        • Martin McKeay
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 18, 2009
            Another part of the problem is that they only update the stats on a daily
            basis. If you updated later in the day on Thursday, you won't have a full
            day's worth of stats until Saturday morning.

            I lost nearly half of my RSS followers when I switched over to Google Feeds
            a couple of months ago. My numbers are slowly creeping back up as folks
            find out they've been dropped, but it's a slow process I haven't been very
            happy with.

            Martin

            Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA
            Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
            and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
            Email: martin@...
            YIM: mmckeay@...
            TwitterID: mckeay
            (W) 707-495-7926

            On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM, writerpatrick <writerpatrick@...>wrote:

            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "nycedeli" <lavenividivici@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Has anyone had any issues migrating their Feedburner accounts to
            > > Google? Last night I got an automated prompt from Feedburner (when I
            > > went to log in) telling me that I had to migrate my accounts over to
            > > Google. I heard that this was happening and that I would have to do
            > > this sooner or later so I went ahead. The general info assured me
            > that
            > > there would be a redirect from the old Feedburner URL to the new
            > one.
            > >
            > > Well, this morning I go to my Feedburner account and 97% of my
            > > subscriber count is gone. Vanished into thin air. Do you think these
            > > subscribers have disappeared forever or it's just a temporary thing?
            > > Do I need to tell my listeners to resubscribe and rebuild my
            > > subscriber base from scratch? (Majority of them are subscribing from
            > > iTunes.) If it isn't temporary...well, let's just say that I will be
            > > very, very depressed since I had almost 2000 subscribers and it took
            > > me a long time to get to that number.
            >
            > Their FAQ says it could take up to a week to transfer the stats, so
            > it might have transferred them but they aren't showing up yet. So it
            > would probably be best to wait a week and see if anything changes
            > before doing anything.

          • Michael Johnson
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 18, 2009
              Good advice
              > Has anyone had any issues migrating their Feedburner accounts to
              > Google? Last night I got an automated prompt from Feedburner (when I
              > went to log in) telling me that I had to migrate my accounts over to
              > Google. I heard that this was happening and that I would have to do
              > this sooner or later so I went ahead. The general info assured me
              that
              > there would be a redirect from the old Feedburner URL to the new
              one.

              > Well, this morning I go to my Feedburner account and 97% of my
              > subscriber count is gone. Vanished into thin air. Do you think these
              > subscribers have disappeared forever or it's just a temporary thing?
              > Do I need to tell my listeners to resubscribe and rebuild my
              > subscriber base from scratch? (Majority of them are subscribing from
              > iTunes.) If it isn't temporary...well, let's just say that I will be
              > very, very depressed since I had almost 2000 subscribers and it took
              > me a long time to get to that number.

              Their FAQ says it could take up to a week to transfer the stats, so
              it might have transferred them but they aren't showing up yet. So it
              would probably be best to wait a week and see if anything changes
              before doing anything.
            • Brains Matter
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 18, 2009
                Did you guys use podpress to put in place your new feed (I'm assuming
                it's feed.google.com/showname or something in place of the feedburner
                one?) on iTunes etc?

                OG
                --
                Brains Matter Podcast
                Melbourne, Australia

              • Geek -
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 20, 2009
                  So I just converted my feeds to Google about 36 hours ago. I use the
                  MyBrand on my podcast domain. I followed the instructions, changing
                  the CNAME record to the right one, and even changed the feed URLS on
                  my site to the normal url for a bit to let propogation take effect,
                  which Google says can take 24 hours. The result? 36 hours later I
                  still get a 404.

                  Dwight Wallbridge,
                  Blogger, Photographer, Geek

                  All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/
                  The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
                  Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/
                • Rick Stringer
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 20, 2009
                    I did the switch and it appears to be working fine. The read me
                    document said that the feeds would simply be redirected. I didn't have
                    to change anything on my site. The only thing that I had to change was
                    the page that I go to for Feedburner. If you do feel the need to
                    change the feed link then you use:
                    http://feeds2.feedburner.com/TheNameOfYourShow

                    Rick
                    __________________________________
                    Parsec Award Winner 2006, 2007, & 2008
                    Variant Frequencies Podcast
                    http://www.variantfrequencies.com
                    The Failed Cities Monologues
                    http://www.podiobooks.com/title/the-failed-cities-monologues/

                  • David Smith
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 21, 2009
                      It was 20 Jan 2009, when Geek - commented:

                      > So I just converted my feeds to Google about 36 hours ago. I use the
                      > MyBrand on my podcast domain. I followed the instructions, changing
                      > the CNAME record to the right one, and even changed the feed URLS on
                      > my site to the normal url for a bit to let propogation take effect,
                      > which Google says can take 24 hours. The result? 36 hours later I
                      > still get a 404.
                      >

                      > Dwight Wallbridge,
                      > Blogger, Photographer, Geek

                      If you didn't get this fixed yet, I found a workaround of sorts on their
                      blog -- I forget if that's on Feedburner or Google or where, now.

                      Anyway, try this: On the MyBrand page, delete the entry for the
                      feeds.mydomain.com forwarded domain entry. Save the page. Re-enter the
                      domain. Save the page.

                      If you already have the current CNAME set up (looks to me like it's
                      substantially changed from the old Feedburner one), that might well fix
                      the problem, just "reseating" the data, if you will. Worked in my case,
                      anyway, after having the same problem.

                      HTH

                      Griz

                      --

                      Grizzly's Growls Podcasts: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                      Blog: <http://blog.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 21, 2009
                        Hey Grizz

                        I tried that earlier, just removing the URL, saving, then readding it
                        and saving again. I came home and it wasn't working yet, so I went to
                        try again, since I was still seeing DNS problems before I left. Well,
                        I found on removing the only URL that it gives an error. The domain
                        line is empty, but I suspect it wasn't saving it as empty. I had to
                        deactivate the service, then reactivate it to get the redirect
                        working. Now I am back online!

                        Dwight Wallbridge,
                        Blogger, Photographer, Geek

                        All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/
                        The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
                        Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 21, 2009
                          Which is of course correct, I phrased it poorly. Was doing that =while=
                          fiddling with my CNAME record on GoDaddy, so I'm not entirely sure what I
                          did, only that it started working, so I stopped fiddling.

                          It was 21 Jan 2009, when Geek - commented:

                          --

                          Grizzly's Growls Podcasts: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                          Blog: <http://blog.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                        • Todd Cochrane
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 22, 2009
                            This is one of those reasons why you should always control your own
                            feed. Why have Feedburner handle your feed when your blog does a
                            perfectly good job of creating a RSS feed. I am getting feedback from a
                            lot of people that are having nightmares making the transition and
                            loosing audience members at the same time.

                            Todd

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 22, 2009
                              Again the question I keep asking people beyond the feed stats they
                              provide and incorrect podcast download stats why do you even need them?

                              Martin McKeay wrote:

                              > Another part of the problem is that they only update the stats on a daily
                              > basis. If you updated later in the day on Thursday, you won't have a full
                              > day's worth of stats until Saturday morning.
                              >
                              > I lost nearly half of my RSS followers when I switched over to Google
                              > Feeds
                              > a couple of months ago. My numbers are slowly creeping back up as folks
                              > find out they've been dropped, but it's a slow process I haven't been very
                              > happy with.
                              >
                              > Martin
                              >
                              > Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA
                              > Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net
                              > <http://www.mckeay.net>>
                              > and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com
                              > <http://netsecpodcast.com>>
                              > Email: martin@... <mailto:martin%40mckeay.net>
                              > YIM: mmckeay@... <mailto:mmckeay%40yahoo.com>
                              > TwitterID: mckeay
                              > (W) 707-495-7926

                            • Mike Wills
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 22, 2009
                                Until someone builds a decent stats app for rss, I am going to keep
                                using FeedBurner. One other benefit is that FeedBurner acts as a cache
                                for your feed so you save that bandwidth.

                                --
                                Mike Wills
                                http://mikewills.info

                                Sent from my iPod Touch

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 23, 2009
                                  Mike

                                  Save a small amount bandwidth at what expense lost listeners and post
                                  being delayed being seen in the feedburner rss feed? My site gets a fair
                                  amount of traffic and yet the web portion of bandwidth is a little less
                                  than 950gb per month.. My Podcasts data transfer is many multiples of
                                  that and I have never had troubles serving up a tiny rss file.

                                  When you see big publishers who get millions of hits a day like
                                  TechCrunch and others considering moving off Feedburner due to issues
                                  you have to ask yourself how is Feedburner effecting your audiences user
                                  experience. Tracking a RSS feed subscribers is pretty elementary at this
                                  point and with modern browsers having the ability to display a rss feed
                                  intelligently without feedburner should be reason enough I would think.

                                  I have never been a proponent of Feedburner for exactly the reasons that
                                  people have been talking about over the past week. Sadly most people do
                                  not have a clue and follow the masses. When I here people tell others to
                                  signup for a feedburner account I ask them why? Usually they cannot give
                                  me an answer.

                                  Obviously this is my opinion and I largely have given up talking about
                                  this but it is something content creators should look at and see if it
                                  is worth the risk. The thing I keep in my mind is what happens if Google
                                  pulls the plug on the service what happens then.

                                  Todd..

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 23, 2009
                                    This seems to be a very hot topic in the podcasting world right now. I personally am concerned and am questioning using feedburner in the future. My podcast is only about a year old and has a growing listener base. it just doesnt seem worth it to take a risk. Of course I could be wrong.

                                    Thanks
                                    Mike
                                    Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
                                    A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

                                    totalcleanair.com

                                    Martin McKeay wrote:

                                    > Another part of the problem is that they only update the stats on a daily

                                    > basis. If you updated later in the day on Thursday, you won't have a full

                                    > day's worth of stats until Saturday morning.

                                    > I lost nearly half of my RSS followers when I switched over to Google

                                    > Feeds

                                    > a couple of months ago. My numbers are slowly creeping back up as folks

                                    > find out they've been dropped, but it's a slow process I haven't been very

                                    > happy with.

                                    > Martin

                                    > Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA

                                    > Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay. net

                                    > <http://www.mckeay. net>>

                                    > and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcas t.com

                                    > <http://netsecpodcas t.com>>

                                    > Email: martin@mckeay. net <mailto:martin% 40mckeay. net>

                                    > YIM: mmckeay@yahoo. com <mailto:mmckeay% 40yahoo.com>

                                    > TwitterID: mckeay

                                    > (W) 707-495-7926

                                  • Rick Stringer
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 23, 2009
                                      Feedburner has been working fantastic for me for almost three years
                                      now. It was wonderful when we changed our hosting of our site. The
                                      recent change doesn't appear to be causing any problems.

                                      Rick
                                      __________________________________

                                      On Jan 23, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Michael Johnson wrote:

                                      > This seems to be a very hot topic in the podcasting world right now.
                                      > I personally am concerned and am questioning using feedburner in the
                                      > future. My podcast is only about a year old and has a growing
                                      > listener base. it just doesnt seem worth it to take a risk. Of
                                      > course I could be wrong.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks
                                      > Mike
                                      > Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
                                      > A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at
                                      > crosscampusministry.com
                                      >
                                      > totalcleanair.com

                                    • Michael Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 23, 2009
                                        I have migrated mine and havent seen any problems

                                        ____________ _________ _________ ____

                                        Parsec Award Winner 2006, 2007, & 2008

                                        Variant Frequencies Podcast

                                        http://www.variantf requencies. com

                                        The Failed Cities Monologues

                                        http://www.podioboo ks.com/title/ the-failed- cities-monologue s/

                                        On Jan 23, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Michael Johnson wrote:

                                        > This seems to be a very hot topic in the podcasting world right now.

                                        > I personally am concerned and am questioning using feedburner in the

                                        > future. My podcast is only about a year old and has a growing

                                        > listener base. it just doesnt seem worth it to take a risk. Of

                                        > course I could be wrong.

                                        > Thanks

                                        > Mike

                                        > Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,

                                        > A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at

                                        > crosscampusministry .com

                                        > totalcleanair. com

                                        > --- On Thu, 1/22/09, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@gmail. com> wrote:

                                        > From: Todd Cochrane <geeknews@gmail. com>

                                        > Subject: Re: [podcasters] Re: Migrating Feedburner to Google

                                        > To: podcasters@yahoogro ups.com

                                        > Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 10:46 AM

                                        > Again the question I keep asking people beyond the feed stats they

                                        > provide and incorrect podcast download stats why do you even need

                                        > them?

                                        > Martin McKeay wrote:

                                        > > Another part of the problem is that they only update the stats on

                                        > a daily

                                        > > basis. If you updated later in the day on Thursday, you won't have

                                        > a full

                                        > > day's worth of stats until Saturday morning.

                                        > > I lost nearly half of my RSS followers when I switched over to

                                        > Google

                                        > > Feeds

                                        > > a couple of months ago. My numbers are slowly creeping back up as

                                        > folks

                                        > > find out they've been dropped, but it's a slow process I haven't

                                        > been very

                                        > > happy with.

                                        > > Martin

                                        > > Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA

                                        > > Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay. net

                                        > > <http://www.mckeay. net>>

                                        > > and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcas t.com

                                        > > <http://netsecpodcas t.com>>

                                        > > Email: martin@mckeay. net <mailto:martin% 40mckeay. net>

                                        > > YIM: mmckeay@yahoo. com <mailto:mmckeay% 40yahoo.com>

                                        > > TwitterID: mckeay

                                        > > (W) 707-495-7926

                                      • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 23, 2009
                                          In the interest of adding more positive voices (bad news always
                                          travels faster) I can say I switched to the google feedburner about a
                                          month ago for all my feeds; no ill effects, seamless process.

                                          --
                                          Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                          Author, Podcaster

                                          Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
                                          http://www.bravemenrun.com
                                        • Geek -
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 23, 2009
                                            I will state my thoughts. The slight blip in this migration is the
                                            first problem I had in 2 years, and I now know their help section
                                            would have had my solution if I had searched right. Also, stability
                                            aside, I don't see that there is much difference in the stats given by
                                            Bluberry and Feedburner. Neither is capable of tracking full downloads
                                            versus partial. Neither can say their numbers are 100% valid. The only
                                            difference seems to be in small things, each having their good and
                                            bad. This is why I use both of them.

                                            Dwight Wallbridge,
                                            Blogger, Photographer, Geek

                                            All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/
                                            The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
                                            Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/

                                            On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                            <mwselznick@...> wrote:
                                            > In the interest of adding more positive voices (bad news always
                                            > travels faster) I can say I switched to the google feedburner about a
                                            > month ago for all my feeds; no ill effects, seamless process.
                                            >
                                            > --
                                            > Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                            > Author, Podcaster
                                            > ************************************
                                            > "Reggie vs. Kaiju Storm Chimera Wolf"
                                            > Signed and numbered limited edition chapbook
                                            > http://www.mattselznick.com
                                            >
                                            > "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
                                            > Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
                                            > http://www.bravemenrun.com

                                          • Shawn Thorpe
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 23, 2009
                                              I migrated my feeds earlier this week and everything seems to be working
                                              fine. For what it's worth, I used Feedburner with Hyper Nonsense (my
                                              longest running 'cast to date) because I didn't know of a better solution at
                                              the time (June/2006) to create a podcast-ready RSS feed. That actually
                                              turned out to be a good choice as the Hyper Nonsense source RSS has changed
                                              a few times, but those changes weren't seen by my subscribers. Since then,
                                              however, I've used WordPress/podPress to create my other podcasts' RSS feeds
                                              instead of Feedburner. I do feel a lot better knowing that I have complete
                                              control over those RSS feeds.

                                              -Shawn

                                            • Marc West
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 26, 2009
                                                Hi all,

                                                Google has set up a blog on which they will deal with issues they come
                                                up against migrating feedburner feeds. It's here:

                                                http://feedburnerstatus.blogspot.com/

                                                I too am having plenty of issues - it hasnt worked for me yet either.

                                                Take care,

                                                Marc
                                                www.mrscienceshow.com

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 26, 2009
                                                  On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

                                                  > Obviously this is my opinion and I largely have given up talking about
                                                  > this but it is something content creators should look at and see if it
                                                  > is worth the risk. The thing I keep in my mind is what happens if Google
                                                  > pulls the plug on the service what happens then.

                                                  In my case, the same thing that would happen if RawVoice Stats pulled
                                                  the plug on me. I'd grumble a lot, then spend a couple hours changing
                                                  some configuration settings to get back online.

                                                  You complain about this risk all the time, Todd, but the means to
                                                  avert the risk is simple and common. I'm piping through Feedburner
                                                  with a CNAME redirect, so my feed URLs stay under my control on my own
                                                  domain. I could start serving my RSS directly any time I wanted. I'm
                                                  never in any danger of losing my audience.

                                                  http://www.escapepod.org
                                                • Mike Wills
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 26, 2009
                                                    I am in the same boat. All feeds now go through feeds.podcastmike.com. If
                                                    feedburner kicks the bucket... Within an hour my feed would be backonline
                                                    (gotta keep time in there for DNS to update).

                                                    --
                                                    Mike Wills
                                                    Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
                                                      Stephen

                                                      One thing we do with our stats system is we have a duplicate server that
                                                      is online 24/7 that does nothing but wait for the day the primary
                                                      machine goes down. Within a minute of a failure on the primary system
                                                      (now online more than 16 months without a hiccup (knock on wood)) the
                                                      secondary machine would pick up where the primary left off and 5 phones
                                                      start ringing at the same time as we jump on getting the primary machine
                                                      back online. But the infrastructure does not stop there as media
                                                      measurement and delivery of content is priority 1

                                                      No system is perfect and I am sure ours has flaws but we have done the
                                                      best we can to mitigate issues.

                                                      But with feedburner you have the most powerful internet company on the
                                                      planet in charge of infrastructure and yet they have massive numbers of
                                                      feed timeouts. partial feeds, delayed feed updating and the list goes
                                                      on.. Those that have decided to use it live with those issues after all
                                                      it's there audiences not mine. The main concern I have always had on
                                                      feedburner is why use it in the first place it is not needed. Stats on a
                                                      rss feed are elementary, and being we built our own podcast stats system
                                                      which I and our advertisers trust completely, plus I don't have to worry
                                                      about my user data being mined and sold to the highest bidder by Google.

                                                      There are always plus and minuses to anything :)

                                                      Todd..

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
                                                        On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

                                                        > One thing we do with our stats system is we have a duplicate server that
                                                        > is online 24/7 that does nothing but wait for the day the primary
                                                        > machine goes down.

                                                        That's great. Redundancy is good. But I think you missed my point.
                                                        I'm not really worried about RawVoice Stats having downtime. Your
                                                        point of contention wasn't downtime, it was "What if Google decides to
                                                        stop offering this service?" That's something you could decide for
                                                        your stats service just as easily. MORE easily, as you're a smaller
                                                        company.

                                                        And my point is that all of this "at the mercy of Google" talk is a
                                                        strawman. If we configure our domains correctly at the outset, we're
                                                        not at risk with Feedburner any more than we are with any other hosted
                                                        service. If Feedburner goes away, I reconfigure so I'm no longer
                                                        pointing to it. If RawVoice Stats goes away, I reconfigure so I'm no
                                                        longer pointing to it. I'm not saying either service will go away.
                                                        I'm just saying the risk is managed. There's no "danger" here.

                                                        > The main concern I have always had on
                                                        > feedburner is why use it in the first place it is not needed. Stats on a
                                                        > rss feed are elementary, and being we built our own podcast stats system
                                                        > which I and our advertisers trust completely, plus I don't have to worry
                                                        > about my user data being mined and sold to the highest bidder by Google.

                                                        I'll tell you why I use it. One simple number (the circulation
                                                        count), and one simple date graph that I can use to track my growth.
                                                        RawVoice Stats doesn't offer that. RawVoice Stats gives me numbers
                                                        per episode per month, but if I want to analyze them I'm on my own.

                                                        There's a virtue in simplicity. Feedburner's stats are *simple*, and
                                                        sometimes that trumps thoroughness. It really does.

                                                        http://www.escapepod.org
                                                      • Todd Cochrane
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
                                                          Stephen

                                                          Your on the premium service and you have access to the graph that shows
                                                          month to month consumption on your show.. We should have a daily/weekly
                                                          consumption graph as well. We have a list of enhancements we are about
                                                          to start working on and I think that would be a good addition. Always
                                                          feel free to drop us suggestions on what info to provide that we done
                                                          currently we have all the data it is just a matter of putting it in the
                                                          correct visual format.. We have had a couple of submissions drawn on a
                                                          piece of paper so we will take any inputs...

                                                          Todd...

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
                                                            On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

                                                            > Your on the premium service and you have access to the graph that shows
                                                            > month to month consumption on your show.. We should have a daily/weekly
                                                            > consumption graph as well.

                                                            That sounds very useful. Where are those graphs located? What I see
                                                            is a dropdown allowing me to choose "Summary," "Overall," and all of
                                                            the months that I've been with the service. I also have icons to
                                                            print to a printer or to PDF. (I always choose the printer and then
                                                            "Save as PDF" from my Mac, because the PDF report from RawVoice
                                                            inserts blank pages.)

                                                            The "Overall" and monthly pages have some pie charts for platform,
                                                            client and country, but everything else is tabular totals. There are
                                                            no date graphs anywhere that I can find. Not monthly, weekly, nor
                                                            daily. Just so that there's no confusion on what I'm looking at, I
                                                            saved some screenshots and PDF reports, and uploaded them here:

                                                            http://www.scribd.com/people/documents/7086716/folder/65960

                                                            If I'm missing some obvious in the interface for the date graphs,
                                                            Todd, I'd love to know where to click to see them. And anyone else
                                                            who wants to know what the RawVoice Stats interface looks like...
                                                            Well, there you go. Those are my stats and I freely consent for
                                                            anyone to look at them or share them. Just don't change them, sell
                                                            them, or rickroll them.

                                                            > We have a list of enhancements we are about
                                                            > to start working on and I think that would be a good addition. Always
                                                            > feel free to drop us suggestions on what info to provide that we done
                                                            > currently we have all the data it is just a matter of putting it in the
                                                            > correct visual format.. We have had a couple of submissions drawn on a
                                                            > piece of paper so we will take any inputs...

                                                            Fabulous. Since you're soliciting feedback, a few other minor nits:

                                                            1.) I'm not getting the weekly e-mail reports that I specified in the
                                                            settings.

                                                            2.) The colored country map isn't very useful. The United States (1.1
                                                            million downloads) and Canada (86,000 downloads) are exactly the same
                                                            shade of blue. Some of Europe is a lighter blue, and the rest of the
                                                            world is white even though I know I have downloads in South America.

                                                            3.) When I clicked on the "Full List" link under that country table, I
                                                            got an error popup saying "Premium Users Only." I thought I *am* a
                                                            premium user. You've confirmed in this thread that I'm a premium
                                                            user. I know I paid money for all three podcasts last Spring. Am I
                                                            just configured wrong in your system?

                                                            4.) Finally, I never received any info about creating read-only
                                                            "guest" accounts for advertising clients, which Angelo had said was a
                                                            coming-soon feature when I signed on last March. Is that available
                                                            yet?

                                                            If I can offer any additional information that might help, please let me know.

                                                            Oh... And even if I did have date graphs from RawVoice, that wouldn't
                                                            entirely replace FeedBurner's usefulness for me. They have access to
                                                            different metrics than you do. I use RawVoice to track my download
                                                            stats and FeedBurner to track my feed stats. The two spheres together
                                                            are complementary, and you're both valuable in different ways.

                                                            http://www.escapepod.org
                                                          • Todd Cochrane
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jan 27, 2009
                                                              Stephen

                                                              I think I know what may have happened you signed up for our stats
                                                              service before we offered the premium service and your account never got
                                                              upgraded. I have extended your service a year as you should have been on
                                                              Premium since about July. Be sure to let us know immediately if
                                                              something does not look right in the future..

                                                              1. You should be getting those daily emails with the stats data have
                                                              pinged Angelo on that.
                                                              2. The world map feedback is great
                                                              3. Yepp you should be able to see full list versus abridged list.
                                                              4. Email me the username, password and which of the 3 programs you wants
                                                              that account to access.

                                                              Anytime you have a technical issue im a email away or you can submit a
                                                              ticket via the contact link on the website..

                                                              Todd

                                                              > If I'm missing some obvious in the interface for the date graphs,
                                                              > Todd, I'd love to know where to click to see them. And anyone else
                                                              > who wants to know what the RawVoice Stats interface looks like...
                                                              > Well, there you go. Those are my stats and I freely consent for
                                                              > anyone to look at them or share them. Just don't change them, sell
                                                              > them, or rickroll them.

                                                              In the pull down you should see a Tab that says trending (Angelo
                                                              Investigating)