Digital Recording for a Church

  • Mike Wills
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2008
      Our church has been recording to cassette for years (YEARS) and we have been
      looking for a different way to record. They are thinking abut a digital
      recorder and the company they got the sound system through recommended a
      Tuscam recorder. This question isn't about the recorder itself, but that is
      uses compact flash. Isn't compact flash going out or is it heavily used in
      digital audio yet? I am just trying to figure out the best solution for them
      that will last more than a couple years.

      Of course digital recording comes with other issues like the length of the
      service and the ability to fit it on a CD, but those issues I'll work
      through with them or ask for opinions as I come to them.

      --
      Mike Wills
      Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com

    • Louis Antonucci
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2008
        I don't thing that you have real issues in particular the one's that you mention recording as a mp3 file at a 96K rate you can fit 12 hours of recording on a CD also using mp3 your listeners can also listen to them or more devices including iPods, mp3 players, DVD players as well as cd players (that can read mp3s). I use a Zoom MP3 player with a 2 gb flash card for recording lectures now for over 2 years with great success.

        BTW most digital field records use flash cards. What ever you do don't get a Digital Voice Recorder designed for note taking they would work get one that was designed for professional use

        I also recommend using an external condenser mic with a pre-amp to supply the phamton voltage.

      • Mike Wills
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 31, 2008
          We have all of the other equipment we need for the speakers in the church
          (preamp, mixer, fx processor, and wireless receiver). I wasn't a part of the
          original setup, so I am not sure what everything that is there is for.

          The recording right now are for those that can't get out of their house (we
          call them shut-ins). Most are quite old and most likely won't have an MP3
          player. Heck, we have to ask if they have a CD player. This is the audience
          we are recording the service for.

          Now, I do want to take that same digital recording and put out via podcast
          on the website as well, but that is low priority.

          --

          On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Louis Antonucci <l_silvio@...>wrote:

          > I don't thing that you have real issues in particular the one's that you
          > mention recording as a mp3 file at a 96K rate you can fit 12 hours of
          > recording on a CD also using mp3 your listeners can also listen to them or
          > more devices including iPods, mp3 players, DVD players as well as cd players
          > (that can read mp3s). I use a Zoom MP3 player with a 2 gb flash card for
          > recording lectures now for over 2 years with great success.
          >
          > BTW most digital field records use flash cards. What ever you do don't get
          > a Digital Voice Recorder designed for note taking they would work get one
          > that was designed for professional use
          >
          > I also recommend using an external condenser mic with a pre-amp to supply
          > the phamton voltage.

        • Brian Richardson
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 31, 2008
            "Isn't compact flash going out or is it heavily used in digital audio yet?"

            Compact Flash will still be around due to its popularity in (a)
            professional photography and (b) embedded computing (as a replacement
            for IDE drives). SD is the more popular audio format for flash cards
            due to its size and the fact that it was the more popular media when
            flash-based audio recorders became popular.

            --
            ================
            Brian Richardson
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 31, 2008
              CF is going to be around for at least a couple of years, there is a
              lot of healthy demand for CF cards.

              As for the church gear, have a look at this baby:

              http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4347&CatID=19&SubCatID=179

              On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Mike Wills <mike@...> wrote:
              > Our church has been recording to cassette for years (YEARS) and we have been
              > looking for a different way to record. They are thinking abut a digital
              > recorder and the company they got the sound system through recommended a
              > Tuscam recorder. This question isn't about the recorder itself, but that is
              > uses compact flash. Isn't compact flash going out or is it heavily used in
              > digital audio yet? I am just trying to figure out the best solution for them
              > that will last more than a couple years.
              >
              > Of course digital recording comes with other issues like the length of the
              > service and the ability to fit it on a CD, but those issues I'll work
              > through with them or ask for opinions as I come to them.
              >
              > --
              > Mike Wills
              > Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
              > Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821
              > http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikewills

              Jacek Artymiak
              http://devGuide.net
              Facebook:
              http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=50168432081
              Twitter:
              http://twitter.com/devguide
              RSS Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/devguide-net
              Our latest book:
              vi(1) Tips: Essential vi/vim Editor Skills, 1st ed.
              http://www.devguide.net/books/vitips1
              devGuide.tv
              http://www.devguide.net/tv/devguide-tv
            • David Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 31, 2008
                It was 31 Dec 2008, when Mike Wills commented:

                > Our church has been recording to cassette for years (YEARS) and we have
                > been looking for a different way to record. They are thinking abut a
                > digital recorder and the company they got the sound system through
                > recommended a Tuscam recorder. This question isn't about the recorder
                > itself, but that is uses compact flash. Isn't compact flash going out or is
                > it heavily used in digital audio yet? I am just trying to figure out the
                > best solution for them that will last more than a couple years.
                >
                > Of course digital recording comes with other issues like the length of the
                > service and the ability to fit it on a CD, but those issues I'll work
                > through with them or ask for opinions as I come to them.

                Isn't that Tascam, rather than Tuscam? Never heard of the latter. I
                think Compact Flash is rather old technology to depend on for long-term.
                I use SD-HC for all my current portable audio (including my Samson Zoom H2
                portable recorder), and that does seem a fairly stable useage format for
                at least the next few years. I'd expect useage longevity for SD about the
                same as CD; that is, I expect people to still be using SD and CD in X
                years, and can't say the same for Compact Flash. CD's are probably more
                durable for archival purposes, though I dunno about the useable life of CD-
                R, for example.

                Then there's availability questions. Lots of SD cards available. Compact
                Flash? Dunno.

                --

                Grizzly's Growls Podcasts: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                Blog: <http://blog.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 31, 2008
                  It was 31 Dec 2008, when Brian Richardson commented:

                  > "Isn't compact flash going out or is it heavily used in digital audio yet?"
                  >
                  > Compact Flash will still be around due to its popularity in (a)
                  > professional photography and (b) embedded computing (as a replacement
                  > for IDE drives). SD is the more popular audio format for flash cards
                  > due to its size and the fact that it was the more popular media when
                  > flash-based audio recorders became popular.

                  Hmmm... hadn't had that impression. So I should be able to count on
                  getting more Compact Flash cards for my current aged camera? Had thought
                  the opposite.

                  --

                  Grizzly's Growls Podcasts: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                  Blog: <http://blog.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                  The NaNaPooPoo Podcast Community Network:
                  <http://feeds.nanapoopoo.com>
                • handyguyspodcast
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 13, 2009
                    CF seems to be the standard media for these types of recorders. No
                    issues with getting CF for a while. I installed a Marantz recorder
                    which has similar features to the Tascam you are looking at. It also
                    uses CF. Its great and the CF cards are a little more robust,
                    physical, than SD.

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <grizzly@...> wrote:

                    > It was 31 Dec 2008, when Mike Wills commented:
                    >
                    > > Our church has been recording to cassette for years (YEARS) and we
                    have
                    > > been looking for a different way to record. They are thinking abut a
                    > > digital recorder and the company they got the sound system through
                    > > recommended a Tuscam recorder. This question isn't about the recorder
                    > > itself, but that is uses compact flash. Isn't compact flash going
                    out or is
                    > > it heavily used in digital audio yet? I am just trying to figure
                    out the
                    > > best solution for them that will last more than a couple years.
                    > >
                    > > Of course digital recording comes with other issues like the
                    length of the
                    > > service and the ability to fit it on a CD, but those issues I'll work
                    > > through with them or ask for opinions as I come to them.
                    >
                    > Isn't that Tascam, rather than Tuscam? Never heard of the latter. I
                    > think Compact Flash is rather old technology to depend on for
                    long-term.
                    > I use SD-HC for all my current portable audio (including my Samson
                    Zoom H2
                    > portable recorder), and that does seem a fairly stable useage format
                    for
                    > at least the next few years. I'd expect useage longevity for SD
                    about the
                    > same as CD; that is, I expect people to still be using SD and CD in X
                    > years, and can't say the same for Compact Flash. CD's are probably
                    more
                    > durable for archival purposes, though I dunno about the useable life
                    of CD-
                    > R, for example.
                    >
                    > Then there's availability questions. Lots of SD cards available.
                    Compact
                    > Flash? Dunno.
                    >
                    > --
                    >
                    > Grizzly's Growls Podcasts: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                    > Blog: <http://blog.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                    > The NaNaPooPoo Podcast Community Network:
                    > <http://feeds.nanapoopoo.com>

                  • handyguyspodcast
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 13, 2009
                      I put in the cheaper one