Re: Compression? Great Answer. How About Normalization???

  • Joseph Puentes
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2008
      you said:

      4b.
      Re: Compression?
      Posted by: "Stephen Nelson"
      Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:41 pm (PST)

      "It amplifies quiet parts of the audio and reduces loud parts, making
      the whole thing more uniform."

      ========================

      You've done a great job of simplifying what Compression is. Can you use
      baby talk (but a little more advanced than gaga-googoo) and do the same
      thing for Normalization?

      and possibly a word or two about if both should be used and in what
      circumstances?

      joseph

      =====================

      Joseph Puentes
      http://h2opodcast.com/vsse.html (Vegan Environmental Solutions Podcast)
      http://h2opodcast.com (Environmental Podcast)
      http://h2opodcast.blogspot.com/ (Blog for above)
      http://PleaseListenToYourMom.com (Women's Peace Podcast)
      http://NuestraFamiliaUnida.com (Latin American History Podcast)
      http://NuestrosRanchos.com (Jalisco, Zacatecas, and Aguascalientes
      Genealogy)
    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2008
        From: "Joseph Puentes"
        (snip)
        > You've done a great job of simplifying what Compression is. Can you use
        > baby talk (but a little more advanced than gaga-googoo) and do the same
        > thing for Normalization?

        Normalization will raise the overall level of your recording so that the
        maximum peak is at a specific level (often adjustable .. but you never want
        it to exceed the maximum level) IF you have some peak (someone hit the mic,
        or table or a loud handclap) and the rest of the recording is low ...
        normalization will not help much with the low parts .. because the highest
        peak is what is the limiting factor in normalization.

        If you do not have any exceptional peaks .. but, say, didn't adjust your mic
        gain properly (too low) during recording .. normaliztaion will bring up the
        voice levels considerably. I've done just that when I stupidly plugged my
        mics into my "line-in" instead of "mic-in" jack ;-))

        For those recordings with only a few high peaks .. you *can* go into your
        editor and reduce only those peaks before you run normalization and it will
        give you a much better result.

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org