Joint Stereo?

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2008
      Okay, I finally bit the bullet and installed Audacity 1.3.6 Beta. So far,
      so good. Needed that. I'm trying to convert a book I read on my podcast
      to a suitable format for Podiobooks.com, and they require Joint Stereo.
      The Beta creates such relatively straightforwardly (using LAME as usual).

      Now that I have this wonderful, magical ability, I've vowed to only use my
      powers for Good. So, for Podcasts, is Joint Stereo good? A quick Google
      only got me more confused. I'm still not sure what it is.

      --

      Grizzly's Growls Podcasts: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
      Blog: <http://blog.grizzlysgrowls.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2008
        On Wed 2008-12-17 03:16:36 UTC-0600, David Smith (grizzly@...) wrote:

        > So, for Podcasts, is Joint Stereo good? A quick Google only got me
        > more confused. I'm still not sure what it is.

        There is some talk about joint stereo in the archives:

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2008
          On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:16 AM, David Smith
          <grizzly@...> wrote:

          > Now that I have this wonderful, magical ability, I've vowed to only use my
          > powers for Good. So, for Podcasts, is Joint Stereo good? A quick Google
          > only got me more confused. I'm still not sure what it is.

          The short answer is "yes." It'll sound better than full stereo files
          for inputs that are mostly or entirely mono, and it's more compatible
          with old MP3 players than true mono files.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • David Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2008
            It was 17 Dec 2008, when andrew clarke commented:

            > On Wed 2008-12-17 03:16:36 UTC-0600, David Smith
            > (grizzly@...) wrote:
            >
            > > So, for Podcasts, is Joint Stereo good? A quick Google only got me
            > > more confused. I'm still not sure what it is.
            >
            > There is some talk about joint stereo in the archives:

            > %22&submit=Search&charset=UTF-8

            Ah. Fairly recent, too. Guess I didn't give it much thought in October,
            since at the time, I didn't have the option (that I knew of). Thanks.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 17, 2008
              It was 17 Dec 2008, when Stephen Eley commented:

              > On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:16 AM, David Smith
              > <grizzly@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Now that I have this wonderful, magical ability, I've vowed to only use
              > > my powers for Good. So, for Podcasts, is Joint Stereo good? A quick
              > > Google only got me more confused. I'm still not sure what it is.
              >
              > The short answer is "yes." It'll sound better than full stereo files
              > for inputs that are mostly or entirely mono, and it's more compatible
              > with old MP3 players than true mono files.

              And the short reply is "Thanks." ;-) I gather it involves math, too.
              Never was good with phase angles and whatnot. But I guess it's just a
              matter of leaving it switched on in Audacity Beta.