Re: [podcasters] Whats the best platform for phone interviews?

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
      On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:27 AM, serviceyourac <serviceyourac@...> wrote:
      > Ive heard about talk shoe and blog talk radio. are these good choices?

      I've used Talkshoe -- these are good choices if you want to run a live
      telephone interview podcast.

      If you simply want to record a telephone interview for inclusion in a
      podcast and you're on the Windows platform, you can't beat the
      combination of Skype and PowerGramo.

      Get a Skype account and sign up for a pay-as-you-go number so you can
      make call to and receive calls from regular telephone numbers.
      http://www.skype.com

      Then, get the inexpensive ($25.00, I believe) add-on program
      PowerGramo, which allows you to record the conversation to
      uncompressed .wav or compressed .mp3 or .ogg files. The beautiful
      thing about PowerGramo: it separates you and your caller into
      different channels, which makes for easy editing later on!
      http://www.powergramo.com/

      I don't work for either company -- they're simply an unbeatable
      combination that's worked flawlessly for me for a dozen episodes of
      Writers Talking and countless phone interviews.

      Best,

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Author, Podcaster

      Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
      http://www.bravemenrun.com
    • Michael Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
        thank you sir. that is great info

        Cross Campus Ministry Podcast, A Podcast for Christian College Students in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

        ************ ********* ********* ******

        "Reggie vs. Kaiju Storm Chimera Wolf"

        Signed and numbered limited edition chapbook

        http://www.mattselz nick.com

        Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast

        http://www.bravemen run.com

      • Ramble Redhead
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
          I have been doing my interview show for the past three years and I
          have been using Skype and Call Recorder and have had no problems at
          all. Strongly recommend getting Levelator as well

          On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Michael Johnson
          <serviceyourac@...> wrote:
          > thank you sir. that is great info
          >
          > Cross Campus Ministry Podcast, A Podcast for Christian College Students in
          > itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

          Check out the Ramble Redhead Show at http://www.rambleredhead.com

          Check out my Frappr map www.frappr.com/rambleredhead

          AOL or AIM Screen Name: Rambleredhead

          Yahoo Rambleredhead

          Subscribe via Itunes:
          http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=98939550&s=143441

          Comment Number: 574-807-9171

          Send stuff to:

          Ramble Redhead
          P.O. Box 2804
          South Bend IN 46680

          Write a review on Itunes to help out the show!
        • Jonathon_M_Johnson@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
            Hello all-

            I have Levelator running on my PC and it is working great.

            I tried loading it onto my Mac, and it doesn't want to be running.

            Any ideas on how to get it up and running?

            Any hyperlinks to the correct downloadable software?

            Thanks

            Jonathon M. Johnson
            Colorado

            From: "Ramble Redhead" <rambleredhead@...>

            <serviceyourac@...> wrote:
            > thank you sir. that is great info
            >
            > Cross Campus Ministry Podcast, A Podcast for Christian College Students in
            > itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

          • Brains Matter
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 10, 2008
              Jonathon,

              Do you have at least Tiger (10.4) running on your mac? (Some more
              info would help here) - I found that the dmg won't install on 10.3 or
              earlier.. 10.4 or 10.5 should be fine.

              OG

              --
              Brains Matter Podcast
              Melbourne, Australia

            • Cliff Ravenscraft
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 17, 2008
                On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:27 AM, serviceyourac <serviceyourac@...>wrote:

                > Ive heard about talk shoe and blog talk radio. are these good choices?

                I'm a little late to the game on this one, but I thought I'd chime in. I've
                used TalkShoe for years. It has major benefits. However, for phone
                interviews, I've gone the same route that radio stations use by getting a
                digital hybrid telephone interface for my mixer.

                I use and sell the JK Audio Hybrids...

                Here's a link where I show how I use them with my podcast equipment:
                http://podcastanswerman.com/recording-phone-interviews-and-taking-live-calls-during-podcast-shows/

                Cliff

                <http://gspn.tv/>
                *Cliff J. Ravenscraft
                Generally Speaking Production Network*
                *Email:* Cliff@...
                *My Podcasts:* http://gspn.tv
                *Follow Me On Twitter:* http://twitter.com/gspn
                *Podcast Equipment Sales & Consulting:*
                http://PodcastAnswerMan.com<http://podcastanswerman.com/>
                <http://podcastanswerman.com/>

              • Data Scavenger
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 29, 2008
                  On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:27 AM, serviceyourac <serviceyourac@...> wrote:
                  > Ive heard about talk shoe and blog talk radio. are these good choices?

                  I know that I'm late to this thread, but has anyone ever used
                  something like this device?

                  http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TP-7-Telephone-Recording-Device/dp/B000GU88CQ/

                  I figure that this would minimize places that things can go wrong, as
                  you can use your regular old phone line and just record the whole
                  thing with any software on any OS. If you find newer software that
                  you would like to use, you can switch. Different OS? No problem.

                  That is the theory, at least. I'm curious if anyone has an opinion
                  and/or experience about this.

                  Jaime
                • Noble Acuff
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 30, 2008
                    The Olympus gadget is inexpensive so it might be worth a shot just to
                    play with it. That said, I'm very skeptical about the audio quality
                    you'll get out of it. It's probably fine for transcribing phone calls
                    but it's hard to imagine your podcast will sound very good.

                    My solution has generally been to use Skype Out for calling land
                    lines, and you can always go with a higher-end hardware solution like
                    the Telos One although it's 30x the cost of the Olympus gadget:

                    http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=ONE

                    If you do get the Olympus post a review to the group so we'll know
                    what you think.

                    Cheers,
                    Noble Acuff

                    My blog: http://nobleacuff.com