Digital voice recorders

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2008
      I have an H2, and I also have an Olympus WS-311M, which you can get for
      $80 new or $65 refurbished/guaranteed at Amazon:

      http://tinyurl.com/5r8zzb

      I love it, and I use it much more than I use the H2, because I always
      have it with me. It is tiny and slips easily into a pocket, it records
      in stereo, and it has a stereo 1/8" input jack so you can use most any
      mike that doesn't require phantom power. The built-in stereo mikes are a
      bit sharp, but you can get a Sony cordless plug-in stereo mike for twelve
      bucks (free shipping even) that works unbelievably well:

      http://tinyurl.com/69rra8

      It has a built-in USB plug, so you don't need any cords to connect to
      your computer. It records in WMA, and I download my files directly into
      Audition, edit them, and save them as MP3 files. Quality is outstanding.

      I also bought a Y-cable that has a 1/8" stereo plug at one end and two
      XLR connectors at the other end, and with this setup I can do interviews
      where each of us has a handheld microphone, with the recorder on a table
      between us. Again, the sound quality is perfect.

      I dropped this recorder on a concrete sidewalk last week, denting a
      corner, but it still works perfectly. Unbelievable.

      ---Dan