Re: [podcasters] Digital Voice Recorders

  • Martin McKeay
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
      I sit corrected, and XLR to 1/8" adapter cables can be found, you just won't
      be able to power any mics that require phantom power, which the H4 does do.
      I use a Shure PG58 with my H4 and have gotten excellent sound out of the
      combination, which should work with the proper cable and the H2. I tend to
      record interviews in fairly crowded, noisy places like convention halls, so
      a mic that's very proximity sensitive is important to me. The built in mics
      on the H4 pick up way too much background noise for my usage.

      Martin

      Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA
      Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
      and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
      Email: martin@...
      YIM: mmckeay@...
      TwitterID: mckeay
      (W) 707-495-7926

      On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]
    • Noble Acuff
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
        Here's another vote for the Zoom H2. I've had it for about a year now
        and it's a great solution for portable recording, especially if you
        just need something to throw in your laptop bag "just in case." I
        didn't need XLR inputs on the recorder (I've got a mixing board, USB
        interface, etc. for that) and just wanted something portable with good
        sound quality.

        The H2 is also a good option if you want to capture a backup recording
        off a mixing board. I use mine as a backup device when I'm recording
        into my Mac. I just patch the H2 into an output from the mixing board,
        and if something happens to the file on the computer I've got a high
        quality backup.

        Noble Acuff

        My blog: http://nobleacuff.com
        LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/nobleacuff