Re: [podcasters] Digital Voice Recorders

  • Martin McKeay
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
      First, what's you're definition of 'digital voice recorder'? If you're
      talking about one of those little things they sell business men to record
      their memos on, my only hint is 'don't bother'.

      If you're hoping to get something worth recording a podcast on, you can't
      been the Zoom H2 and H4 for the money. I've had an H4 for about 2 years,
      and I love it. The real kicker is the ability to plug in any mic and make
      multitrack recordings. I keep mine with me where ever I travel, just in
      case. I've recorded a couple dozen interviews with it and never regretted
      it. If you do a little research on the list you'll find many other people
      who feel the same way.

      The H2 is a little smaller, looks a lot less like a tazer and is missing the
      mic inputs. But it's every bit as good as the H4 otherwise.

      I also like my little iRiver 795 and Giant Squid mic, but good luck getting
      those anymore.

      Martin

      Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA
      Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
      and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
      Email: martin@...
      YIM: mmckeay@...
      TwitterID: mckeay
      (W) 707-495-7926

      On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Timothy Phillips <PhillipsHQ@...>wrote:

      > Hi all. I am thinking about getting myself a digital voice recorded
      > for Christmas. Sound quality is tops on my list. Do any of you have
      > any Rants or Raves about current models on the market, please?

    • David Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
        It was 6 Dec 2008, when Timothy Phillips commented:

        > Hi all. I am thinking about getting myself a digital voice recorded
        > for Christmas. Sound quality is tops on my list. Do any of you have
        > any Rants or Raves about current models on the market, please?

        I use my Samson Zoom H2 Handy Recorder for all my podcasts. Handy (of
        course), portable, lots of capabilities, more storage than you'll know
        what to do with, very good sound quality IMHO. I think they're on sale
        now for $170 or so. Worth the money. (Mine was a Christmas gift.)

        --

        Grizzly's Growls Podcast & Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
        <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
          I've got a H4 and I love it. I used it for the vast majority of
          NaPodPoMo and it was good for recording at home, in the car and out
          and about. Add it with a mic or two and it is super.

          --
          Erk

          Erk Pod: all Erk, all the time ..... and then some!
          Sydney, Australia
          http://www.erkpod.com.au
        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
            From: "Martin McKeay"
            (snip)
            > The H2 is a little smaller, looks a lot less like a tazer and is missing
            > the
            > mic inputs. But it's every bit as good as the H4 otherwise.
            (snip)

            That is mis-leading. The H2 does have external mic imputs .. just not XLR.

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • Martin McKeay
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
              I sit corrected, and XLR to 1/8" adapter cables can be found, you just won't
              be able to power any mics that require phantom power, which the H4 does do.
              I use a Shure PG58 with my H4 and have gotten excellent sound out of the
              combination, which should work with the proper cable and the H2. I tend to
              record interviews in fairly crowded, noisy places like convention halls, so
              a mic that's very proximity sensitive is important to me. The built in mics
              on the H4 pick up way too much background noise for my usage.

              On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]
            • Noble Acuff
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
                Here's another vote for the Zoom H2. I've had it for about a year now
                and it's a great solution for portable recording, especially if you
                just need something to throw in your laptop bag "just in case." I
                didn't need XLR inputs on the recorder (I've got a mixing board, USB
                interface, etc. for that) and just wanted something portable with good
                sound quality.

                The H2 is also a good option if you want to capture a backup recording
                off a mixing board. I use mine as a backup device when I'm recording
                into my Mac. I just patch the H2 into an output from the mixing board,
                and if something happens to the file on the computer I've got a high
                quality backup.

                Noble Acuff

                My blog: http://nobleacuff.com
                LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/nobleacuff