RE: [podcasters] Time to give libsyn the heave-ho?

  • Walt Snider
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
      I just left LibSyn and got my 7 shows migrated to a HostGator shared hosting
      account.

      http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

      If you pay for 3 years in one shot, you get them for $5 per month ($180
      total) and there's a 20% coupon ($144) that you can find around google.

      Unlimited space and bandwidth. Seriously. Reputable company.

      I personally know one of the support guys there and he told me as long as
      you don't just leave files there to take up space, you won't be bandwidth
      throttled, nor will your account be in danger of anything. Just don't abuse
      it and all is well. I have around 8 gigs in my account and I'm getting into
      video, so that's gonna move toward 30-40 gigs by the end of 2009. He told me
      this is np as long as I don't leave naughty files or use it as a backup.

      I use wordpress blogs with the podpress plugin for show notes and feed.
      There are some issues with the podpress plugin and latest wordpress. if
      you're going to go this route, contact me directly and I'll give you the
      tricks that I had to learn to make it work right. Overall, it's a very good
      solution.

      I was paying LibSyn $30 a month (800 megs a month) and had to worry about
      how many shows ahead I could upload without hitting my limit, etc. I now pay
      $4 per month and literally have no limits what I can have up. I have 12
      episodes of my new show due out in January already uploaded and the show
      notes are already written and ready for the date to roll around and it'll
      automatically add the relevant show to the feed for me (I know LibSyn does
      it too, but you have more control here).

      Walt Snider
      phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
      email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
      web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
      blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
      podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
        On the other hand, I've been with Libsyn for over 3 years now, I have 150+
        podcasts on their site, and I haven't heard of any one who's got enough
        better of a record to make it worth my while to switch. I wish you luck
        with HostGator, but I wouldn't take your friend's word as far as the
        bandwidth throttling, unless he happens to be the CEO of the company.

        Bottom line is, you're going to have issues, no matter where you host your
        podcast. It's the nature of the beast. I won't say Libsyn's been perfect,
        but they usually fix their problems in a relatively timely manner. Your
        mileage will vary of course.

        Martin

        Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA
        Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
        and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
        Email: martin@...
        YIM: mmckeay@...
        TwitterID: mckeay
        (W) 707-495-7926

      • David Jackson
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2008
          First of all I love Libsyn. Love the stats, and I'm doing video so I'm not in your shoes. However, why put your self into a situation where you might be limited. If you have to move off of libsyn, go to amazon SE (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/ ) and use podtrac for your stats. This way you only pay for what you use, and you have no worries about bandwidth cause its frickin Amazon.com It's only .15 for the first gb stored, and 17 for first gigabyte transferred. I have a dreamhost account that I will be switching out. I just signed up for Libsyn's advertising tools (another bonus of Libsyn) so I will see what I move to.

          Dave Jackson
          www.schoolofpodcasting.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
            S3 is VERY expensive in comparison to a flat-rate host unless you have < 100 listeners. I only have about 2,500 or so and it would cost me something in the neighborhood of $65 at last calculation per month for hosting there.
            If nothing else, one could use archive.org and link RSS to it.

            Walt Snider
            phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
            email: walt@...
            web: www.WaltSnider.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 17, 2008
              I'm responding to the message quoted below regarding libsyn.

              I've been podcasting since December of 2005 and I have three $50 per month
              accounts with Libsyn with over 1,250 podcast episodes online. When I first
              started with them, they were about the only source out there for unlimited
              bandwidth. Within the first five months with them, they did have an
              occasional issue where files would not be delivered due to a technical
              issue. In all honesty, the company was two or three guys at the time just
              learning how to make all this stuff scale.

              Since those days, I've experience almost NO issues on file delivery
              whatsoever! Recently, about two weeks ago, they had to VERY BRIEF
              outages... I produce more than 20 podcasts and have a network where people
              pay me monthly for my shows. As soon as the outage occurred, I started
              receiving emails from my paying subscribers. I contacted support and I was
              back up and running within 20 minutes each of those two times.

              Just in case any new podcasters are in this group ... I just wanted to throw
              in my vote of confidence in Libsyn!

              I'm sure many of the other services mentioned are great.. I personally love
              the folks over at Raw Voice.. I was just using libsyn for many months before
              I met them.

              Cliff