Digital Voice Recorders

  • Timothy Phillips
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
      Hi all. I am thinking about getting myself a digital voice recorded
      for Christmas. Sound quality is tops on my list. Do any of you have
      any Rants or Raves about current models on the market, please?
    • Martin McKeay
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
        First, what's you're definition of 'digital voice recorder'? If you're
        talking about one of those little things they sell business men to record
        their memos on, my only hint is 'don't bother'.

        If you're hoping to get something worth recording a podcast on, you can't
        been the Zoom H2 and H4 for the money. I've had an H4 for about 2 years,
        and I love it. The real kicker is the ability to plug in any mic and make
        multitrack recordings. I keep mine with me where ever I travel, just in
        case. I've recorded a couple dozen interviews with it and never regretted
        it. If you do a little research on the list you'll find many other people
        who feel the same way.

        The H2 is a little smaller, looks a lot less like a tazer and is missing the
        mic inputs. But it's every bit as good as the H4 otherwise.

        I also like my little iRiver 795 and Giant Squid mic, but good luck getting
        those anymore.

        Martin

        Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA
        Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
        and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
        Email: martin@...
        YIM: mmckeay@...
        TwitterID: mckeay
        (W) 707-495-7926

        On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Timothy Phillips <PhillipsHQ@...>wrote:

        > Hi all. I am thinking about getting myself a digital voice recorded
        > for Christmas. Sound quality is tops on my list. Do any of you have
        > any Rants or Raves about current models on the market, please?

      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
          It was 6 Dec 2008, when Timothy Phillips commented:

          > Hi all. I am thinking about getting myself a digital voice recorded
          > for Christmas. Sound quality is tops on my list. Do any of you have
          > any Rants or Raves about current models on the market, please?

          I use my Samson Zoom H2 Handy Recorder for all my podcasts. Handy (of
          course), portable, lots of capabilities, more storage than you'll know
          what to do with, very good sound quality IMHO. I think they're on sale
          now for $170 or so. Worth the money. (Mine was a Christmas gift.)

          --

          Grizzly's Growls Podcast & Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
          <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
            I've got a H4 and I love it. I used it for the vast majority of
            NaPodPoMo and it was good for recording at home, in the car and out
            and about. Add it with a mic or two and it is super.

            --
            Erk

            Erk Pod: all Erk, all the time ..... and then some!
            Sydney, Australia
            http://www.erkpod.com.au
          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
              From: "Martin McKeay"
              (snip)
              > The H2 is a little smaller, looks a lot less like a tazer and is missing
              > the
              > mic inputs. But it's every bit as good as the H4 otherwise.
              (snip)

              That is mis-leading. The H2 does have external mic imputs .. just not XLR.

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org
            • Martin McKeay
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
                I sit corrected, and XLR to 1/8" adapter cables can be found, you just won't
                be able to power any mics that require phantom power, which the H4 does do.
                I use a Shure PG58 with my H4 and have gotten excellent sound out of the
                combination, which should work with the proper cable and the H2. I tend to
                record interviews in fairly crowded, noisy places like convention halls, so
                a mic that's very proximity sensitive is important to me. The built in mics
                on the H4 pick up way too much background noise for my usage.

                On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]
              • Noble Acuff
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
                  Here's another vote for the Zoom H2. I've had it for about a year now
                  and it's a great solution for portable recording, especially if you
                  just need something to throw in your laptop bag "just in case." I
                  didn't need XLR inputs on the recorder (I've got a mixing board, USB
                  interface, etc. for that) and just wanted something portable with good
                  sound quality.

                  The H2 is also a good option if you want to capture a backup recording
                  off a mixing board. I use mine as a backup device when I'm recording
                  into my Mac. I just patch the H2 into an output from the mixing board,
                  and if something happens to the file on the computer I've got a high
                  quality backup.

                  Noble Acuff

                  My blog: http://nobleacuff.com
                  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/nobleacuff