Time to give libsyn the heave-ho?

  • urbanskypodcast
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
      I'm thinking about hosting my podcasts elsewhere. I uploaded a new
      episode last night and a friend of mine tried to download it this
      morning and wasn't successful.

      I even tried downloading it and had trouble.

      This is not the first time libsyn has given me problems - in the past
      I have seen inaccurate stats, site down for extended periods,
      corrupted files, and even slow uploads and downloads.

      Can anyone suggest a hosting site that offers better performance and
      high traffic levels? I don't care if it's a pay site or free.

      Thanks.
    • Rick Savoia
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
        Blubrry/RawVoice offers hosting with excellent stats. The prices are
        reasonable. Check with Todd Cochrane, he's in the group.

        Rick

        Rick Savoia
        The Force Field podcast for IT service providers
        http://www.theforcefield.net

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "urbanskypodcast"
        <urbanskypodcast@...> wrote:

        > I'm thinking about hosting my podcasts elsewhere. I uploaded a new
        > episode last night and a friend of mine tried to download it this
        > morning and wasn't successful.
        >
        > I even tried downloading it and had trouble.
        >
        > This is not the first time libsyn has given me problems - in the past
        > I have seen inaccurate stats, site down for extended periods,
        > corrupted files, and even slow uploads and downloads.
        >
        > Can anyone suggest a hosting site that offers better performance and
        > high traffic levels? I don't care if it's a pay site or free.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Walt Snider
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
          I just left LibSyn and got my 7 shows migrated to a HostGator shared hosting
          account.

          http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

          If you pay for 3 years in one shot, you get them for $5 per month ($180
          total) and there's a 20% coupon ($144) that you can find around google.

          Unlimited space and bandwidth. Seriously. Reputable company.

          I personally know one of the support guys there and he told me as long as
          you don't just leave files there to take up space, you won't be bandwidth
          throttled, nor will your account be in danger of anything. Just don't abuse
          it and all is well. I have around 8 gigs in my account and I'm getting into
          video, so that's gonna move toward 30-40 gigs by the end of 2009. He told me
          this is np as long as I don't leave naughty files or use it as a backup.

          I use wordpress blogs with the podpress plugin for show notes and feed.
          There are some issues with the podpress plugin and latest wordpress. if
          you're going to go this route, contact me directly and I'll give you the
          tricks that I had to learn to make it work right. Overall, it's a very good
          solution.

          I was paying LibSyn $30 a month (800 megs a month) and had to worry about
          how many shows ahead I could upload without hitting my limit, etc. I now pay
          $4 per month and literally have no limits what I can have up. I have 12
          episodes of my new show due out in January already uploaded and the show
          notes are already written and ready for the date to roll around and it'll
          automatically add the relevant show to the feed for me (I know LibSyn does
          it too, but you have more control here).

          Walt Snider
          phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
          email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
          web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
          blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
          podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
            On the other hand, I've been with Libsyn for over 3 years now, I have 150+
            podcasts on their site, and I haven't heard of any one who's got enough
            better of a record to make it worth my while to switch. I wish you luck
            with HostGator, but I wouldn't take your friend's word as far as the
            bandwidth throttling, unless he happens to be the CEO of the company.

            Bottom line is, you're going to have issues, no matter where you host your
            podcast. It's the nature of the beast. I won't say Libsyn's been perfect,
            but they usually fix their problems in a relatively timely manner. Your
            mileage will vary of course.

            Martin

            Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA
            Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
            and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
            Email: martin@...
            YIM: mmckeay@...
            TwitterID: mckeay
            (W) 707-495-7926

          • David Jackson
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2008
              First of all I love Libsyn. Love the stats, and I'm doing video so I'm not in your shoes. However, why put your self into a situation where you might be limited. If you have to move off of libsyn, go to amazon SE (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/ ) and use podtrac for your stats. This way you only pay for what you use, and you have no worries about bandwidth cause its frickin Amazon.com It's only .15 for the first gb stored, and 17 for first gigabyte transferred. I have a dreamhost account that I will be switching out. I just signed up for Libsyn's advertising tools (another bonus of Libsyn) so I will see what I move to.

              Dave Jackson
              www.schoolofpodcasting.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
                S3 is VERY expensive in comparison to a flat-rate host unless you have < 100 listeners. I only have about 2,500 or so and it would cost me something in the neighborhood of $65 at last calculation per month for hosting there.
                If nothing else, one could use archive.org and link RSS to it.

                Walt Snider
                phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
                email: walt@...
                web: www.WaltSnider.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 17, 2008
                  I'm responding to the message quoted below regarding libsyn.

                  I've been podcasting since December of 2005 and I have three $50 per month
                  accounts with Libsyn with over 1,250 podcast episodes online. When I first
                  started with them, they were about the only source out there for unlimited
                  bandwidth. Within the first five months with them, they did have an
                  occasional issue where files would not be delivered due to a technical
                  issue. In all honesty, the company was two or three guys at the time just
                  learning how to make all this stuff scale.

                  Since those days, I've experience almost NO issues on file delivery
                  whatsoever! Recently, about two weeks ago, they had to VERY BRIEF
                  outages... I produce more than 20 podcasts and have a network where people
                  pay me monthly for my shows. As soon as the outage occurred, I started
                  receiving emails from my paying subscribers. I contacted support and I was
                  back up and running within 20 minutes each of those two times.

                  Just in case any new podcasters are in this group ... I just wanted to throw
                  in my vote of confidence in Libsyn!

                  I'm sure many of the other services mentioned are great.. I personally love
                  the folks over at Raw Voice.. I was just using libsyn for many months before
                  I met them.

                  Cliff