Video Converter Idea Request

  • Walt Snider
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
      Greets all,

      My group is putting a video screencap show in January and I've got a slight
      problem. the video is in WMV (Windows Media Video) and I'd like it to be
      converted into mp4/H.264 format.

      I tried Format Factory but it makes the text look crummy and audio sound
      bad.

      Do you guys know of a tool I can use for conversion? The files are 10-minute
      shows and are roughly as many megs, so I don't need anything that'll handle
      200 meg files. I'd prefer it to be free, but will pay if its good enough.

      Thanks in advance.

      Walt Snider
      phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
      email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
      web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
      blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
      podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

    • AndyCast Gmail
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
        QuickTime Pro with Flip4Mac on a Mac can do that conversion with its
        eyes closed!

        Andy Bilodeau
        http://andycast.net
        Sent from my iPod Touch

        On Dec 4, 2008, at 7:14, "Walt Snider" <waltsnider@...> wrote:

        > Greets all,
        >
        > My group is putting a video screencap show in January and I've got a
        > slight
        > problem. the video is in WMV (Windows Media Video) and I'd like it
        > to be
        > converted into mp4/H.264 format.
        >
        > I tried Format Factory but it makes the text look crummy and audio
        > sound
        > bad.
        >
        > Do you guys know of a tool I can use for conversion? The files are
        > 10-minute
        > shows and are roughly as many megs, so I don't need anything that'll
        > handle
        > 200 meg files. I'd prefer it to be free, but will pay if its good
        > enough.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Walt Snider
        > phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
        > email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
        > web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
        > blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
        > podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

      • Steve Sergeant
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
          At 7:14 AM -0500 12/4/08, Walt Snider wrote:
          >My group is putting a video screencap show in January and I've got a slight
          >problem. the video is in WMV (Windows Media Video) and I'd like it to be
          >converted into mp4/H.264 format.

          >The files are 10-minute
          >shows and are roughly as many megs, so I don't need anything that'll handle
          >200 meg files.

          Let's see, 10 minutes of uncompressed, standard defintion video
          (270Mb/sec) would be 1.1 TB. So what you've got is already highly
          compressed. Any amount of transcoding is going to make it kind of
          ugly.

          If you have the original source, I would go back to that instead of
          trying to yranscode something that's already at a signifianctly
          reduced resolution. I'm guessing that the source in your case is a
          25Mbps MPEG-2 file, or a 50Mbps - 100Mbps M-JPEG file in whatever
          system you used for your final edit.
          --
          -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          The WildeBeat "The audio journal about getting into the wilderness"
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
            10 minutes of  uncompressed video shouldn't be 1.1 TB  it might be 150 mb  but definitely not 1.1 TB

            Mike
            Cross Campus Ministry Podcast, A Podcast for Christian College Students in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
              At 7:18 AM -0800 12/4/08, Michael Johnson wrote:
              >10 minutes of uncompressed video shouldn't be 1.1 TB it might be
              >150 mb but definitely not 1.1 TB

              You're right, of course. I'm used to having to calculate video
              storage by the hour. 1.1 TB would be for 10 hours.

              270,000,000 bits-per-second
              X 60 seconds
              X 10 minutes
              -----------
              162,000,000,000 bits
              / 8 bits-per-byte
              / 1,024^3 bytes-per-gigabyte
              -----------
              = 151 gigabytes

              It's likely that the file the original poster started out with was
              already compressed 25Mbps DV file, which would have been more like
              1.75 megabytes. While that's not uncompressed, it's probably good
              enough to start with, rather than whatever compression their WMV file
              has.
              --
              -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              The WildeBeat "The audio journal about getting into the wilderness"
              A 501c3 non-profit educational project of Earth Island Institute.
              Download the MP3 programs or subscribe to the podcast at...
              <A HREF="http://www.wildebeat.net/">www.wildebeat.net</A>
            • matt1027
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
                Check out Media Coder. It's free and has worked pretty good for me.

                http://www.mediacoderhq.com/
              • Michael Johnson
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2008
                  theres one oneline that you can do for free also you dont have to download anything media-convert.com

                  as far as purchasing i suggest quicktimepro $30

                  Cross Campus Ministry Podcast, A Podcast for Christian College Students in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

                  Check out Media Coder. It's free and has worked pretty good for me.

                  http://www.mediacod erhq.com/

                • David
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 6, 2008
                    adobe prem. elements. send it to me and i will convert it.
                    Dave