Re: [podcasters] Best Microphone for Full Room / Roundtable Recording?

  • Andrew Darlow
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1 7:31 AM
      I have an H2 and here are a few quick suggestions:

      I agree that multiple mics are best, but if the room is quiet the H2
      can do a fine job (sometimes air conditioning noise can be annoying
      and not noticed until later). I would not place the mic on the table
      because it is very prone to picking up disturbing noises if it is
      jostled. People may have cups or books that they are putting down on
      the table. I would get some type of scissor mount to mount to a table
      and you can then place the H2 in it:

      Here is one for about $40. I have never ordered from this company and
      others may have other suggestions:
      http://tinyurl.com/59oztz

      You should just make sure that the shock mount has enough space to
      hold the H2.

      I would also do a test at different recording levels. I think the
      medium Mic gain setting (right side) is probably best, with about a
      60-80 recording level (not volume level). You probably know this,
      but the record level can be set when you are in "pre-record mode"
      after you press record and while the light is flashing. You can also
      set it while recording, so a good test would be to start at 60 and do
      a 1 min test, then move it to 80, then 100 then 110 and bring it into
      your audio editing program to confirm that levels are OK. The H2 also
      has good meters that can help get you in the ballpark.

      The Rec mode quality will also be important and you may want to test
      a few settings. Setting it to SURROUND 2CH makes sense as well if
      people are on both sides.

      And I recommend a fresh set of batteries (or using plug-in power)
      before you begin.

      Hope that helps,

      Andrew
      Andrew Darlow
      Editor, The Imaging Buffet
      http://www.imagingbuffet.com
      Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
      An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://
      www.inkjettips.com

    • Rich
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1 7:57 AM
        On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 18:26 -0600, David Smith wrote:

        Or just get a decent omnidirectional microphone (picks up sounds from
        all directions) and all sit equidistant from the mic and do your thing.

        The closer the better so there are less room reflections.

        Me...

        > It was 30 Nov 2008, when Calvin Powers commented:
        >
        > > Howdy,
        > >
        > > I'd like to set up a recording of a group discussion. It will be
        > held in my
        > > living room with people scattered about. It will be all talk with
        > minimal
        > > background noise. There will be too many people for me to give
        > everyone a
        > > separate microphone.
        > >
        > > So I'm curious about the best type of microphone to use in this
        > situation?
        > > Would you get a wireless microphone and pass it around? That would
        > be less
        > > than ideal for me because I want there to be lots of back and forth
        > in the
        > > discussion. Is there a microphone that could pick up all the voices
        > in the
        > > room?
        >
        > This sounds like something I'd try with my Samson Zoom H2. It's
        > intended
        > for portable recording, but it also has 4 built-in microphones,
        > arranged
        > so the unit should successfully cover a whole circle of people, in
        > stereo,
        > and potentially in 5.1 surround sound, I gather. Might require some
        > fiddling, depending on the size and spread of the group.
        >
        > And standard disclaimers apply; I've never tried this. Should work, I
        > think, and you also get a portable recorder in the bargain.
        >
        > Griz
        >
        > --
        >
        > Grizzly's Growls Podcast & Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
        > <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
        > The NaNaPooPoo Podcast Community Network:
        > <http://feeds.nanapoopoo.com>

      • Rob Schendel
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1 10:44 AM
          If you are looking for a USB mic, I'd highly recommend the Blue Snowball. It
          can be set to function as omni-directional, or uni-directional, whichever
          you prefer, with a switch on the back, and it looks cute, too!
          I also likes how it brings out the richness in my voice. A great mic, and a
          great value!

          http://store.apple.com/us/product/TF238LL/A?mco=MTQ3NTkyOA#overview
          http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blue-Snowball-USB-Microphone?sku=279015

          Rob