Re: [podcasters] Re: Sharpe's 09 Gamma Project.. + New Question

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2008
      On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Mike Sharpe <windytwit@...> wrote:
      > 3. What's the recommended way to get VAs for a dramataition, without
      > having any cash to pay them?

      1) Listen to as many podcast novels as you can

      2) Make notes of the podcasters whose voices you think will fit your characters

      3) Approach them via e-mail

      4) Be very, very understanding that not everyone is going to have the
      time to help you at the scale you might require. You might find
      people willing to take on the role of minor characters, but any lead
      characters may be harder to place because of the time involved.

      5) If you can find a way to compensate them for their work -- any way -- do it.

      Oh, and one thing that's so important it's not part of that list:

      Make sure your book is awesome -- as good as you can possibly make it
      -- before you approach anyone. Folks won't want to attach their name,
      reputation and voice to something that's sub-par.

      Best of luck!

      --

      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Author, Podcaster
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2008
        Well, there's always the VoiceActorsUnited group on Yahoo.

        It was 20 Nov 2008, when Mike Sharpe commented:

        --

        Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://ggpo.grizzlysgrowls.com>
        Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2008
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Wayne Selznick"
          <mwselznick@...> wrote:

          > On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Mike Sharpe <windytwit@...> wrote:
          > > 3. What's the recommended way to get VAs for a dramataition, without
          > > having any cash to pay them?
          >
          > 1) Listen to as many podcast novels as you can

          Slowly going though that.. I'm just not sure where female Actors are,
          so far I'm really at a lost who to asked for which characters.

          > 2) Make notes of the podcasters whose voices you think will fit your
          characters

          Started a list about to name them. At least Now I've got character
          list and the major stats.

          > 3) Approach them via e-mail

          > 4) Be very, very understanding that not everyone is going to have the
          > time to help you at the scale you might require. You might find
          > people willing to take on the role of minor characters, but any lead
          > characters may be harder to place because of the time involved.

          I'm aware of this and I'm actually planning to put Tee Morris as the
          Bit Role of Stadium Announcer, yeah I've listen to Nina Kiberly, I
          wrote the role before Podcasting in 03/04. I also have several
          Characters returning in a later project, including the lead of the
          first project.

          > 5) If you can find a way to compensate them for their work -- any
          way -- do it.

          I'm open to suggestions.

          > Oh, and one thing that's so important it's not part of that list:
          >
          > Make sure your book is awesome -- as good as you can possibly make it
          > -- before you approach anyone. Folks won't want to attach their name,
          > reputation and voice to something that's sub-par.

          I currently have a WIP text of the Entire story ready to go a moments
          notice. I need editing or a conversion for it. Send me a mail and I'll
          send you a PDF copy.

          ---

          6. If I am to Dramatize the story should I convert it in to one of
          these formats?
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/insight/scriptsmart_formats.shtml and
          If so which one would you recommend.

          Mike

          Newly Added post on my Blog - Character List and Gamma Return Status.
          http://big-nutter.livejournal.com/43207.html