Sharpe's 09 Gamma Project..

  • Mike Sharpe
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
      Hi guys,

      Here is me throwing about the thinking of next year's project for me.

      1. I am under the assumption that not many Amateur Voice Actors will
      work a Podcast Dramatization, that is being ran by a total Newbie, who
      has zero podcast to his name. Is true?

      2. Is doing a redux of a Podio book a bad idea? (Unless your name is
      Tee Morris, and the Book is Morevi)

      More questions to follow, depending on the answers to the above.

      Yours Mike
      Owns: Podcast For Dummies 2nd ed.
      But doesn't have a Podcast Yet.
    • WNDRWolf
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2008
        _____

        Here is me throwing about the thinking of next year's project for me.

        1. I am under the assumption that not many Amateur Voice Actors will
        work a Podcast Dramatization, that is being ran by a total Newbie, who
        has zero podcast to his name. Is true?

        No not true. There is a lot of talent out there you may just have to ask.

        2. Is doing a redux of a Podio book a bad idea? (Unless your name is
        Tee Morris, and the Book is Morevi)
        Not necessarily a bad idea. Never heard the original book.

        More questions to follow, depending on the answers to the above.

        Yours Mike
        Owns: Podcast For Dummies 2nd ed.
        But doesn't have a Podcast Yet.

      • Nobilis
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2008
          > 1. I am under the assumption that not many Amateur Voice Actors will
          > work a Podcast Dramatization, that is being ran by a total Newbie, who
          > has zero podcast to his name. Is true?

          Podcasters love sitting down at the microphone. That's often the fun
          part. If *you* are the one doing the editing? Not a problem.

          > 2. Is doing a redux of a Podio book a bad idea? (Unless your name is
          > Tee Morris, and the Book is Morevi)

          It is if the book belongs to someone else. The "no derivatives" part
          of the CC license means you can't take someone else's podiobook and
          make an audio drama out of it.

          -----
          "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
          in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
        • Mike Sharpe
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2008
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis <authornobilis@...> wrote:

            > > 1. I am under the assumption that not many Amateur Voice Actors will
            > > work a Podcast Dramatization, that is being ran by a total Newbie, who
            > > has zero podcast to his name. Is true?
            >
            > Podcasters love sitting down at the microphone. That's often the fun
            > part. If *you* are the one doing the editing? Not a problem.

            So some people may offer to Voice act for free?

            I don't mind Editing, Getting behind the Mic scares me..

            > > 2. Is doing a redux of a Podio book a bad idea? (Unless your name is
            > > Tee Morris, and the Book is Morevi)
            >
            > It is if the book belongs to someone else. The "no derivatives" part
            > of the CC license means you can't take someone else's podiobook and
            > make an audio drama out of it.

            Ok, this Book awaiting editing but is written by me, so I own it.
            Well, I may skip the straight read version if I can get the VAs.

            3. What's the recommended way to get VAs for a dramataition, without
            having any cash to pay them?

            4. Is there any recommendation for along these lines?

            5. I just got a book called Podcasting for Dummies any recommended
            chapters, which may answer my Questions?

            Mike Sharpe
            http://big-nutter.livejournal.com/ for Snippets of the book. It's
            under the Fall tags. Gammma is the other story that is nowhere near ready.
          • Matthew Wayne Selznick
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 20, 2008
              On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Mike Sharpe <windytwit@...> wrote:
              > 3. What's the recommended way to get VAs for a dramataition, without
              > having any cash to pay them?

              1) Listen to as many podcast novels as you can

              2) Make notes of the podcasters whose voices you think will fit your characters

              3) Approach them via e-mail

              4) Be very, very understanding that not everyone is going to have the
              time to help you at the scale you might require. You might find
              people willing to take on the role of minor characters, but any lead
              characters may be harder to place because of the time involved.

              5) If you can find a way to compensate them for their work -- any way -- do it.

              Oh, and one thing that's so important it's not part of that list:

              Make sure your book is awesome -- as good as you can possibly make it
              -- before you approach anyone. Folks won't want to attach their name,
              reputation and voice to something that's sub-par.

              Best of luck!

              --

              Matthew Wayne Selznick
              Author, Podcaster
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 20, 2008
                Well, there's always the VoiceActorsUnited group on Yahoo.

                It was 20 Nov 2008, when Mike Sharpe commented:

                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis <authornobilis@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > 1. I am under the assumption that not many Amateur Voice Actors will
                > > > work a Podcast Dramatization, that is being ran by a total Newbie, who
                > > > has zero podcast to his name. Is true?
                > >
                > > Podcasters love sitting down at the microphone. That's often the fun
                > > part. If *you* are the one doing the editing? Not a problem.
                >
                > So some people may offer to Voice act for free?
                >
                > I don't mind Editing, Getting behind the Mic scares me..
                >
                > > > 2. Is doing a redux of a Podio book a bad idea? (Unless your name is
                > > > Tee Morris, and the Book is Morevi)
                > >
                > > It is if the book belongs to someone else. The "no derivatives" part of
                > > the CC license means you can't take someone else's podiobook and make an
                > > audio drama out of it.
                >
                > Ok, this Book awaiting editing but is written by me, so I own it.
                > Well, I may skip the straight read version if I can get the VAs.
                >
                > 3. What's the recommended way to get VAs for a dramataition, without
                > having any cash to pay them?
                >
                > 4. Is there any recommendation for along these lines?
                >
                > 5. I just got a book called Podcasting for Dummies any recommended
                > chapters, which may answer my Questions?
                >
                > Mike Sharpe
                > http://big-nutter.livejournal.com/ for Snippets of the book. It's
                > under the Fall tags. Gammma is the other story that is nowhere near ready.
                --

                Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://ggpo.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 20, 2008
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Wayne Selznick"
                  <mwselznick@...> wrote:

                  > On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Mike Sharpe <windytwit@...> wrote:
                  > > 3. What's the recommended way to get VAs for a dramataition, without
                  > > having any cash to pay them?
                  >
                  > 1) Listen to as many podcast novels as you can

                  Slowly going though that.. I'm just not sure where female Actors are,
                  so far I'm really at a lost who to asked for which characters.

                  > 2) Make notes of the podcasters whose voices you think will fit your
                  characters

                  Started a list about to name them. At least Now I've got character
                  list and the major stats.

                  > 3) Approach them via e-mail

                  > 4) Be very, very understanding that not everyone is going to have the
                  > time to help you at the scale you might require. You might find
                  > people willing to take on the role of minor characters, but any lead
                  > characters may be harder to place because of the time involved.

                  I'm aware of this and I'm actually planning to put Tee Morris as the
                  Bit Role of Stadium Announcer, yeah I've listen to Nina Kiberly, I
                  wrote the role before Podcasting in 03/04. I also have several
                  Characters returning in a later project, including the lead of the
                  first project.

                  > 5) If you can find a way to compensate them for their work -- any
                  way -- do it.

                  I'm open to suggestions.

                  > Oh, and one thing that's so important it's not part of that list:
                  >
                  > Make sure your book is awesome -- as good as you can possibly make it
                  > -- before you approach anyone. Folks won't want to attach their name,
                  > reputation and voice to something that's sub-par.

                  I currently have a WIP text of the Entire story ready to go a moments
                  notice. I need editing or a conversion for it. Send me a mail and I'll
                  send you a PDF copy.

                  ---

                  6. If I am to Dramatize the story should I convert it in to one of
                  these formats?
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/insight/scriptsmart_formats.shtml and
                  If so which one would you recommend.

                  Mike

                  Newly Added post on my Blog - Character List and Gamma Return Status.
                  http://big-nutter.livejournal.com/43207.html