Amazon Cloud now a Media Distribution Solution

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2008
      Dig it:

      http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/

      This might be a good thing for folks who serve lots of content every
      month and don't use Libsyn or some other service.

      For a podcast with a modest audience, let's look at possible cost:

      My own Sonitotum averages about 350 downloads per episode. Each
      episode is about 30 MB... that's 10.25390625 GB per show, which means
      each show costs $1.74 for bandwidth and storage. Amazon Cloudfront
      charges $0.17 per GB for the first ten TB transferred out per month.

      Play with your own numbers! If you don't mind rolling your own a
      little, it might be a good option.

      --

      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Author, Podcaster
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2008
        On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Matthew Wayne Selznick <
        mwselznick@...> wrote:

        > Dig it:
        >
        > http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/
        >
        > This might be a good thing for folks who serve lots of content every
        > month and don't use Libsyn or some other service.
        >
        > For a podcast with a modest audience, let's look at possible cost:
        >
        > My own Sonitotum averages about 350 downloads per episode. Each
        > episode is about 30 MB... that's 10.25390625 GB per show, which means
        > each show costs $1.74 for bandwidth and storage. Amazon Cloudfront
        > charges $0.17 per GB for the first ten TB transferred out per month.
        >
        > Play with your own numbers! If you don't mind rolling your own a
        > little, it might be a good option.

        Yes Matthew,

        But does it scale?

        ;>)

        --
        Paul Puri

        Blog - http://paulpuri.blogspot.com

        Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

        Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

        Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2008
          On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Matthew Wayne Selznick
          <mwselznick@...> wrote:

          > http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/
          > This might be a good thing for folks who serve lots of content every
          > month and don't use Libsyn or some other service.

          Yep. It's the same pricing as their S3 service, and piggybacks on top
          of it; it's really just presenting an easier form of access, and
          (probably) faster downloads by delivering from geographically closer
          servers.

          The same downside applies that applied to S3 too, though. Pricing
          based on data transfer means you're punished for success; if your
          audience grows all of a sudden, you may be hit with a bill you didn't
          expect. (Or if someone's a jerk or is using a broken podcast client,
          and downloads the same file hundreds of times.)

          The presence of Libsyn and other podcast hosts that offer unlimited
          bandwidth makes it possible to avoid this anxiety. For a podcast with
          a 4- or 5-digit audience, Libsyn is almost always cheaper. Of course
          they're paying for bandwidth on their end (and at least for a while I
          know they were using Amazon S3); but they're spreading the cost around
          effectively.

          http://www.escapepod.org