RE: [podcasters] How do I listen to voc file format on windows? Or change them?

  • Walt Snider
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 17, 2008
      But use Levelator on the WAV file prior to dumping it into Audacity.

      Walt Snider
      phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
      email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
      web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
      blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
      podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

      From: "farmersagentdm" <farmersagentdm@...
      <mailto:farmersagentdm%40yahoo.com> >
      How can I listen to .voc files on my windows comp?

      What program thats FREE will change the format to .wav or to mp3?

      Also, I used to use Audacity, and had another program (I think) that
      used to enhance audacity. Does anyone know the program I am referring to?

      Thanks

      Mules

    • andrew clarke
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 17, 2008
        On Mon 2008-11-17 19:14:29 UTC-0000, farmersagentdm (farmersagentdm@...) wrote:

        > How can I listen to .voc files on my windows comp?
        >
        > What program thats FREE will change the format to .wav or to mp3?

        If .voc is what I'm thinking of, it's an old format used by the
        recording software that was supplied with very early model Creative
        Sound Blaster cards - circa early 1990s.

        If you get desperate I could hunt around for it. It probably has a
        .wav export function.

        I'm not sure why you would have .voc files though, in 2008. :)

        Regards
        Andrew
      • tom_a_sparks
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17, 2008
          the only program I know is cooledit 96
          witch can import/export .voc files
          why are needing to play .voc files for?

          the only reason I can think of is if you have a classic/retro computer
          and you are trying to crack/open some file?

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:

          > On Mon 2008-11-17 19:14:29 UTC-0000, farmersagentdm
          (farmersagentdm@...) wrote:

          > > How can I listen to .voc files on my windows comp?
          > >
          > > What program thats FREE will change the format to .wav or to mp3?
          >
          > If .voc is what I'm thinking of, it's an old format used by the
          > recording software that was supplied with very early model Creative
          > Sound Blaster cards - circa early 1990s.
          >
          > If you get desperate I could hunt around for it. It probably has a
          > .wav export function.
          >
          > I'm not sure why you would have .voc files though, in 2008. :)
          >
          > Regards
          > Andrew

        • writerpatrick
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Jonathon_M_Johnson@... wrote:

            > Hello Mules-
            >
            > I use Audacity to change .wav to mp3 by exporting it.
            >
            > I also use Levelator that might do what you are asking to enhance
            audacity.

            > From: "farmersagentdm" <farmersagentdm@...>
            > How can I listen to .voc files on my windows comp?
            >
            > What program thats FREE will change the format to .wav or to mp3?
            >
            > Also, I used to use Audacity, and had another program (I think) that
            > used to enhance audacity. Does anyone know the program I am
            referring to?

            There's no need to use Levelator if you have Audacity. Audacity has a
            built in leveller function under the Effects menu.
          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
              From: "writerpatrick"

              > There's no need to use Levelator if you have Audacity. Audacity has a
              > built in leveller function under the Effects menu.

              It's not the same thing. As far as I know there is no "effect" in any sound
              editing program that will do what is done in Levelator.

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org
            • Paul Puri
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
                On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

                > It's not the same thing. As far as I know there is no "effect" in any sound
                > editing program that will do what is done in Levelator.

                Although Levelator is an excellent product, the term effect in Audacity is
                used to describe anything that changes the audio contained in your project.
                It is not just reverb, delay, chorus, flanger. It is also dynamic controls.
                EQ, compression, noise reduction, etc. Levelator is just a simpler version
                of what Audacity already has available.

                Levelator just makes it easier.

                --
                Paul Puri