How do I listen to voc file format on windows? Or change them?

  • farmersagentdm
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 17, 2008
      How can I listen to .voc files on my windows comp?

      What program thats FREE will change the format to .wav or to mp3?

      Also, I used to use Audacity, and had another program (I think) that
      used to enhance audacity. Does anyone know the program I am referring to?

      Thanks

      Mules
    • Jonathon_M_Johnson@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 17, 2008
        Hello Mules-

        I use Audacity to change .wav to mp3 by exporting it.

        I also use Levelator that might do what you are asking to enhance audacity.

        http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator

        Hope this works for you.

        Cheers

        Jonathon M. Johnson
        Colorado

        From: "farmersagentdm" <farmersagentdm@...>
        How can I listen to .voc files on my windows comp?

        What program thats FREE will change the format to .wav or to mp3?

        Also, I used to use Audacity, and had another program (I think) that
        used to enhance audacity. Does anyone know the program I am referring to?

        Thanks

        Mules

      • Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17, 2008
          On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:14 AM, farmersagentdm
          <farmersagentdm@...> wrote:
          > How can I listen to .voc files on my windows comp?

          The VLC program plays just about every audio and video format out
          there, and it's free and cross-platform.

          > What program thats FREE will change the format to .wav or to mp3?

          Might I recommend a Google search?

          ".voc convert free"

          > Also, I used to use Audacity, and had another program (I think) that
          > used to enhance audacity. Does anyone know the program I am referring to?

          You need to be more specific. How do you want to enhance Audacity?

          --

          Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Author, Podcaster
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 17, 2008
            But use Levelator on the WAV file prior to dumping it into Audacity.

            Walt Snider
            phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
            email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
            web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
            blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
            podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 17, 2008
              On Mon 2008-11-17 19:14:29 UTC-0000, farmersagentdm (farmersagentdm@...) wrote:

              > How can I listen to .voc files on my windows comp?
              >
              > What program thats FREE will change the format to .wav or to mp3?

              If .voc is what I'm thinking of, it's an old format used by the
              recording software that was supplied with very early model Creative
              Sound Blaster cards - circa early 1990s.

              If you get desperate I could hunt around for it. It probably has a
              .wav export function.

              I'm not sure why you would have .voc files though, in 2008. :)

              Regards
              Andrew
            • tom_a_sparks
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 17, 2008
                the only program I know is cooledit 96
                witch can import/export .voc files
                why are needing to play .voc files for?

                the only reason I can think of is if you have a classic/retro computer
                and you are trying to crack/open some file?

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:

                > On Mon 2008-11-17 19:14:29 UTC-0000, farmersagentdm
                (farmersagentdm@...) wrote:

                > > How can I listen to .voc files on my windows comp?
                > >
                > > What program thats FREE will change the format to .wav or to mp3?
                >
                > If .voc is what I'm thinking of, it's an old format used by the
                > recording software that was supplied with very early model Creative
                > Sound Blaster cards - circa early 1990s.
                >
                > If you get desperate I could hunt around for it. It probably has a
                > .wav export function.
                >
                > I'm not sure why you would have .voc files though, in 2008. :)
                >
                > Regards
                > Andrew

              • writerpatrick
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Jonathon_M_Johnson@... wrote:

                  > Hello Mules-
                  >
                  > I use Audacity to change .wav to mp3 by exporting it.
                  >
                  > I also use Levelator that might do what you are asking to enhance
                  audacity.

                  > From: "farmersagentdm" <farmersagentdm@...>
                  > How can I listen to .voc files on my windows comp?
                  >
                  > What program thats FREE will change the format to .wav or to mp3?
                  >
                  > Also, I used to use Audacity, and had another program (I think) that
                  > used to enhance audacity. Does anyone know the program I am
                  referring to?

                  There's no need to use Levelator if you have Audacity. Audacity has a
                  built in leveller function under the Effects menu.
                • Richard Amirault
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
                    From: "writerpatrick"

                    > There's no need to use Levelator if you have Audacity. Audacity has a
                    > built in leveller function under the Effects menu.

                    It's not the same thing. As far as I know there is no "effect" in any sound
                    editing program that will do what is done in Levelator.

                    Richard Amirault
                    Boston, MA, USA
                    http://n1jdu.org
                    http://bostonfandom.org
                  • Paul Puri
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
                      On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

                      > It's not the same thing. As far as I know there is no "effect" in any sound
                      > editing program that will do what is done in Levelator.

                      Although Levelator is an excellent product, the term effect in Audacity is
                      used to describe anything that changes the audio contained in your project.
                      It is not just reverb, delay, chorus, flanger. It is also dynamic controls.
                      EQ, compression, noise reduction, etc. Levelator is just a simpler version
                      of what Audacity already has available.

                      Levelator just makes it easier.

                      --
                      Paul Puri