Re: Thumping the Podium???

  • joshuamcnichols
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2008
      The condenser mics on the plastic Zooms (I have an H4) pick up
      EVERYTHING. So I don't use it on podiums. Instead, I use my shotgun
      mic attached to the podium using a Windtech clamp from BSW. But it's
      a nice AT835b, so it's built for low handling noise. I work in radio,
      so if you're not concerned with broadcast quality, maybe you'd be
      fine with a little tripod. Slip a little 3"x3" square cut from a gel
      mousepad between the podium and the tripod, and tape the whole thing
      to the podium with duct tape (all the TV folks do it) and you'll
      probably avoid all podium tapping sounds (and you're left only with
      mic bumping sounds).

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <grizzly@...> wrote:

      > I haven't recorded in similar circumstances, yet, but had a similar
      > problem. Since the Samson Zoom H2 is threaded for camera tripods,
      I got
      > myself a medium-sized, collapsible tripod to use with my H2 (and my
      > camera, occasionally).
      >
      > The freestanding tripod takes the recording device off the podium
      and/or
      > off the table, which should eliminate the conducted noise. Might
      be other
      > issues, though.
      >
      > It was 9 Nov 2008, when Joseph Puentes commented:
      >

      > > I tend to record a lot of presentations where people stand and
      deliver from
      > > a podium. I can't get the message across about how sensitive the
      mic is to
      > > any kind of thumping on the podium. Folks forget and natural hand
      gestures
      > > cause a lot of distracting noise being recorded.
      > >
      > > I say this one person that had this very nice clamp that hooked
      to the
      > > podium and then had a series of spinal disks that allowed for much
      > > adjustment of the placement of the mic. I'm curious if this type
      of podium
      > > clamp mic stand also would minimize the podium thumping. I also
      get the
      > > thumping when there is a small audience panel discussions where
      they are
      > > not using a PA System and I set up mics on table top mic stands.
      Any kind