Podcasting platforms besides WordPress?

  • Shawn Thorpe
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2008
      Just curious. Anyone out there running a podcast site that's built on
      something other than WordPress? If so, what are you using? Do you like
      it? Have you used WordPress, and if you have, how do you feel it compares
      to your current podcasting platform?

      --
      -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
      Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

      Shawnogram - Content = life.
      http://www.shawnogram.com/

    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 9, 2008
        On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

        > Just curious. Anyone out there running a podcast site that's built on
        > something other than WordPress? If so, what are you using? Do you like
        > it? Have you used WordPress, and if you have, how do you feel it compares
        > to your current podcasting platform?

        Hey Shawn,

        I used to use Blogger.com when I first started out. It was easy and pretty
        cookie cutter for newbies. I than went to another platform that was
        exclusively designed for podcasting, but I believe it has gone away.

        I like Wordpress because it is easy, expandable, and the user base is huge.
        Helps when you are having trouble. It takes getting used to the interface,
        as all new things are, but it is the easiest I have used that can get as
        complex as you like it.

        Installation can be troublesome if you do not know FTP, but there are plenty
        of hosting services that have auto installation options.

        It's not the perfect platform, but it the right one for me. Maybe for you
        too. Any questions you have, I will happy to answer.

        --
        Paul Puri

        Blog - http://paulpuri.blogspot.com

        Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

        Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

        Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

      • Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 9, 2008
          On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:
          >> Just curious. Anyone out there running a podcast site that's built on
          >> something other than WordPress? If so, what are you using? Do you like
          >> it? Have you used WordPress, and if you have, how do you feel it compares
          >> to your current podcasting platform?

          The only other CMS I've ever used (other than a brief flirtation with
          Drupal) was php-update, now known as fuzzylime. I'm a WordPress guy.
          Why?

          Extendable.
          Customizable.
          Excellent support from the community.
          Perfect for an entire site, not just a blog.
          PodPress is still the best podcast plugin, once you execute the
          work-around hacks for newer versions of WP.

          Disclaimer: I use WordPress to create integrated podcast solutions
          for clients with existing websites, so I *am* biased. But I used WP
          for years before that.

          --
          Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Author, Podcaster
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 9, 2008
            Thanks for yout input, Paul and Matt. I love WordPress, too. Currently
            running three different podcasts on WordPress installations. I was just
            curious to see what else (if anything) was out there. it seems to me that
            WordPress dominates the podcasting platform space (for good reason, as far
            as I'm concerned), and I'm hoping to start marketing myself as a podcast
            cnsultant in the near future. Want to make sure I'm as educated as possible
            on all available options.

            --
            -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
            Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California
            http://www.hypernonsense.com/

            Shawnogram - Content = life.
            http://www.shawnogram.com/

          • Angelo
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 9, 2008
              I would recommend Wordpress, not only because it is so widely
              supported, but because there are thousands of plugins and themes
              available for it that make the platform very powerful.

              We at Blubrry have herd complains about Podpress for nearly a year
              now. After Wordpress 2.5 came out and Podpress no longer worked
              correctly, we quickly responded by developing our own Podcasting
              plugin called Blubrry Powerpress. http://www.blubrry.com/powerpress/
              It doesn't do everything that Podpress does (yet) but it will get
              there eventually. Rest assured RawVoice and Blubrry will continue to
              develop the Blubrry Powerpress plugin, it is to our best interest to
              make sure these tools are easy to use and keep podcasters doing their
              thing, podcasting.

              --angelo

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 9, 2008
                On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Angelo <cio@...> wrote:
                > We at Blubrry have herd complains about Podpress for nearly a year
                > now. After Wordpress 2.5 came out and Podpress no longer worked
                > correctly, we quickly responded by developing our own Podcasting

                Podpress 8.8 works perfectly in WordPress 2.6 and beyond with a simple
                two line hack in the podpress_admin_class.php file.

                http://azaozz.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/podpress-in-wordpress-26/

                See Otto's comment in the thread:
                http://azaozz.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/podpress-in-wordpress-26/#comment-13

                --
                Matthew Wayne Selznick
                Author, Podcaster
                Available Now:
                Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
                http://www.bravemenrun.com
                http://www.mattselznick.com
              • Chris Moody
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 9, 2008
                  My experience has been 8.8 also works just fine, if you add 1 line to
                  your wp-config.php:

                  define ('WP_POST_REVISIONS', 0);

                  Matthew Wayne Selznick wrote:

                  > On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Angelo <cio@...
                  > <mailto:cio%40rawvoice.com>> wrote:
                  > > We at Blubrry have herd complains about Podpress for nearly a year
                  > > now. After Wordpress 2.5 came out and Podpress no longer worked
                  > > correctly, we quickly responded by developing our own Podcasting
                  >
                  > Podpress 8.8 works perfectly in WordPress 2.6 and beyond with a simple
                  > two line hack in the podpress_admin_class.php file.
                  >
                  > http://azaozz.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/podpress-in-wordpress-26/
                  > <http://azaozz.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/podpress-in-wordpress-26/>
                  >
                  > See Otto's comment in the thread:
                  > http://azaozz.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/podpress-in-wordpress-26/#comment-13
                  > <http://azaozz.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/podpress-in-wordpress-26/#comment-13>
                  >
                  > --
                  > Matthew Wayne Selznick
                  > Author, Podcaster
                  > ************************************
                  > "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
                  > Available Now:
                  > Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
                  > http://www.bravemenrun.com <http://www.bravemenrun.com>
                  > http://www.mattselznick.com <http://www.mattselznick.com>

                • Steve Carr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
                    Hey Shwano,
                    We started out using my .mac. It was easy and a quick way of jumping into the podcast
                    world. Soon we wanted more control, a better looking site and room to grow. We ended
                    up going to Go Daddy. It's been a good move so far for us. I use quick blogcast to post
                    the shows and we have plenty of bandwidth and storage for now. Tim and I have been
                    talking about going to Word Press. As you pointed out, it appears that much of the
                    podcast community uses WP. I just bought a publication on WP to try and learn more. I
                    have to admit that I'm still a newbe when it comes to some of this stuff. I think that we
                    will progress up to WP in the next year. I still have to learn a lot more about it. I think Tim
                    has been talking to you and Erk about WP.

                    Still having fun.

                    Steve

                    http://www.someguysinacar.com

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Thorpe" <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

                    > Just curious. Anyone out there running a podcast site that's built on
                    > something other than WordPress? If so, what are you using? Do you like
                    > it? Have you used WordPress, and if you have, how do you feel it compares
                    > to your current podcasting platform?
                    >
                    > --
                    > -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
                    > Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California
                    > http://www.hypernonsense.com/
                    >
                    > Shawnogram - Content = life.
                    > http://www.shawnogram.com/

                  • Evo Terra
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 29, 2008
                      On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Angelo <cio@...> wrote:
                      > We at Blubrry have herd complains about Podpress for nearly a year
                      > now. After Wordpress 2.5 came out and Podpress no longer worked
                      > correctly, we quickly responded by developing our own Podcasting
                      > plugin called Blubrry Powerpress. http://www.blubrry.com/powerpress/

                      I'm using Powepress with my new podcast http://evoat11.com and it
                      works brilliantly. Very lightweight. Install was moronically simple.
                      Highly recommended. Hooray for Angelo.

                      - Evo