Re: [podcasters] Re: Goodbye all

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
      Wow, now I'm peranoid.

      Kevin
      sisco83@...
      http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: joshuamcnichols
      To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 2:53 PM
      Subject: [podcasters] Re: Goodbye all

      I've been invited to Grouply several times after someone harvested my
      address from a robotics group. I always refuse. I hope everyone can
      see through the danger - any web app that asks for your yahoo password
      is surely up to no good. Even if the company is innocent, I'm sure a
      list of email addresses and their passwords would prove too valuable to
      keep private.

      That said, I don't blame this list. My email address is out there all
      over the web. It's the password that makes it valuable. Or am I
      missing something?

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Normandeau" <ray60273@...>
      wrote:

      > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
      > from this
      > Podcaster Group.
      >
      > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
      > Yahoo ID!!
      >
      > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
      > think staying here is a security risk.
      >
      > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
      > be used to send out spam.

    • writerpatrick
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
        wrote:

        > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
        > from this
        > Podcaster Group.
        >
        > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
        > Yahoo ID!!
        > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
        > be used to send out spam.

        Spam is to be expected when belonging to any public group. Newsgroups
        have had spammers harvesting e-mail addresses for years. But all they
        can get is just the e-mail; they can't get your password.

        I've had a couple of those spams and just delete them along with the
        rest of the spam.