Re: [podcasters] Re: Goodbye all

  • Chris Moody
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
      Doesn't Yahoo also have an API, which allows sites that uses it to share
      info with Yahoo?

      If this was the case, then it wouldn't be a huge issue. No more so than
      signing in to a site with your MS Passport.

      Chris

      joshuamcnichols wrote:

      > I've been invited to Grouply several times after someone harvested my
      > address from a robotics group. I always refuse. I hope everyone can
      > see through the danger - any web app that asks for your yahoo password
      > is surely up to no good. Even if the company is innocent, I'm sure a
      > list of email addresses and their passwords would prove too valuable to
      > keep private.
      >
      > That said, I don't blame this list. My email address is out there all
      > over the web. It's the password that makes it valuable. Or am I
      > missing something?
      >
      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ray Normandeau" <ray60273@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
      > > from this
      > > Podcaster Group.
      > >
      > > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
      > > Yahoo ID!!
      > >
      > > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
      > > think staying here is a security risk.
      > >
      > > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
      > > be used to send out spam.

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
        Wow, now I'm peranoid.

        Kevin
        sisco83@...
        http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Normandeau" <ray60273@...>
        wrote:

        > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
        > from this
        > Podcaster Group.
        >
        > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
        > Yahoo ID!!
        >
        > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
        > think staying here is a security risk.
        >
        > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
        > be used to send out spam.

      • writerpatrick
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
          wrote:

          > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
          > from this
          > Podcaster Group.
          >
          > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
          > Yahoo ID!!
          > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
          > be used to send out spam.

          Spam is to be expected when belonging to any public group. Newsgroups
          have had spammers harvesting e-mail addresses for years. But all they
          can get is just the e-mail; they can't get your password.

          I've had a couple of those spams and just delete them along with the
          rest of the spam.