Political discussions in this group

  • Rick Savoia
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
      Look, I know everyone has their political ideologies and opinions
      and some are quite passionate about them. I also understand that
      this is a very important election for our country. I have my
      political beliefs and opinions like everyone else. Like most of you,
      I am also concerned about what will happen to our country in the
      future.

      However,

      I joined this group for discussion about podcasting, not politics. I
      am here to make friends and learn new things in a positive
      environment intended for a specific subject, not to make enemies in
      a heated discussion about opposing political points of view, most
      all of which are subject to the beliefs and viewpoints of the
      individual antagonists/protagonists involved in the debates, no
      matter what side of the political fence they sit on.

      Your arguments are not going to sway my opinions and my arguments
      are not going to sway yours. Why bombard me with all this rhetoric
      when we could be collaborating on a common passion we all share
      instead?

      If I want to get into political debates with someone I will join a
      political newsgroup. There are more than plenty of them out there
      and I can easily find one I am comfortable with and fit my political
      views.

      But that isn't the purpose of this group, and it doesn't belong
      here. I don't care if it is pro- Rebublican, pro-Democrat, pro-
      Libertarian, pro-Green Party, whatever. This isn't the place for it
      and as member of this group it offends me to get these e-mails
      stuffed in my mailbox every day. It is destructive to relationships
      in the group and detrimental to the cause. It does nothing to
      promote or positively impact podcasting and it simply doesn't belong
      here.

      I believe an individual's political viewpoints are their own private
      business and not anyone else's concern. I have my own strong
      opinions but I keep them to myself and don't try to push them on
      someone else. I don't want anyone else pushing their ideologies on
      me. Your political and religious views are personal. Vote the way
      you want to vote, but don't tell me how to vote and don't try to
      sway my vote or get upset because I don't vote your way. My vote is
      my vote, not yours, and who you support and vote for is nobody's
      business but your own.

      If everyone in this country treated everyone with more RESPECT (a
      Republican mantra) and were more TOLERANT of differing points of
      view (a Democratic mantra) - see? No one is "holier than thou" here,
      all political parties are self-righteous and full of it to a large
      degree, so there really IS common ground here - If everyone actually
      practiced these mantras this country would be a lot more united,
      even with differing opinions.

      Someone said they were going to unsubscribe from the group because
      someone else bashed his views. Childish? perhaps. Then again, it is
      to be expected when someone is offended and feels alienated, which
      is completely the opposite of what this group is supposed to
      accomplish.

      I will unsubscribe from this group myself if this nonsense doesn't
      stop. Childish? No. It simply isn't why I joined this group and if
      that is what it has degenerated to it is no longer a productive
      group about podcasting and serves no useful purpose for me as a
      podcaster.

      Is that what you really want? To polarize people and chase off those
      who may have differing political or religious opinions but could
      otherwise offer valuable contributions to this group and the world
      of podcasting? Or do we want to build a community to assist and
      elevate each other and ourselves with RESPECT and TOLERANCE to all
      who join?

      It's your choice. Vote wisely.
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
        On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 15:45 +0000, Rick Savoia wrote:

        That's an interesting statement, and part of the problem.

        My beliefs are swayed by strong, logical arguments. Anyone who
        doesn't respect and listen to strong arguments is treating their
        opinions as religion. Religion is based on faith, not fact. I prefer
        my politics (and everything else) to be based on fact.

        Best regards,
        Rich...

        > Your arguments are not going to sway my opinions and my arguments
        > are not going to sway yours.
      • Rick Savoia
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
          Oh, goodness.

          Instead of acknowledging and respecting the point of the post you want
          to draw me into a philosophical argument over the semantics of it.

          No offense, could we please keep this group focused on podcasting and
          leave the politics, religion and other topics for flame baiting to
          their own groups?

          Thanks.

          Rick Savoia
          The Force Field podcast for IT service providers
          http://www.theforcefield.net

          > That's an interesting statement, and part of the problem.
          >
          > My beliefs are swayed by strong, logical arguments. Anyone who
          > doesn't respect and listen to strong arguments is treating their
          > opinions as religion. Religion is based on faith, not fact. I prefer
          > my politics (and everything else) to be based on fact.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Rich...
          >
          > > Your arguments are not going to sway my opinions and my arguments
          > > are not going to sway yours.

        • Paul Puri
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
            On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Rick Savoia <rick@...> wrote:

            > Oh, goodness.
            >
            > Instead of acknowledging and respecting the point of the post you want
            > to draw me into a philosophical argument over the semantics of it.
            >
            > No offense, could we please keep this group focused on podcasting and
            > leave the politics, religion and other topics for flame baiting to
            > their own groups?

            Which actually begs the question:

            Of those podcasts that contain matters of such a sensitive nature, do you
            have your own forums for discussions? And if so, what software are you
            using, and what has the success been in using a forum? I know that a decent
            sized audience is usually required for such a thing, but is anyone out there
            doing it with a decent result?

            --
            Paul Puri

            Blog - http://paulpuri.blogspot.com