Re: [podcasters] Goodbye all

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
      Well, sorry you feel you are at risk.

      Kevin
      sisco83@...
      http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Ray Normandeau
      To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 5:16 PM
      Subject: [podcasters] Goodbye all

      For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
      from this
      Podcaster Group.

      Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
      Yahoo ID!!

      I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
      think staying here is a security risk.

      Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
      be used to send out spam.

    • andrew clarke
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
        On Tue 2008-11-04 01:16:47 UTC-0000, Ray Normandeau (ray60273@...) wrote:

        > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
        > from this Podcaster Group.
        >
        > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
        > Yahoo ID!!

        I don't know what Grouply is but the Podcasters mailing list is no
        different to any other public mailing list on the Internet. Anyone
        can subscribe to it and anyone can use or misuse the email addresses
        that subscribers use to post to the list. The fact it's hosted by
        Yahoo is irrelevant. It's just the way mailing lists work.

        > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
        > think staying here is a security risk.
        >
        > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
        > be used to send out spam.

        It's good security practice to never give out your passwords to third
        party sites. Any non-Yahoo site that asks for your Yahoo password
        should be treated with suspicion. But assuming your Yahoo password is
        only known by Yahoo and yourself, your Yahoo email inbox should be
        safe too.

        However, note that anyone can send forged mail to make it look like it
        appears from you or your email address. This is called e-mail
        spoofing. Or a "Joe Job" if it's done maliciously.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job

        Regards
        Andrew

        (podcasters@yahoogroups.com owner)
      • Martin McKeay
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2008
          And be careful not to blame the list for something that may not be related.
          Even if you only use this email for this list, it's not too hard to imagine
          someone figuring out your email address by deduction or by randomly throwing
          a bunch of characters together. Rather than unsubscribing from the list,
          you might want to ask if anyone else has been getting Grouply invites. I
          know I haven't, or if I have they've been caught by my spam filter. One of
          the terms you'll hear a lot in security and science, proximity does not
          equal causality. In other words, just because two incidents happen near
          each other doesn't mean they're related.

          Martin

          Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA
          Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
          and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
          Email: martin@...
          YIM: mmckeay@...
          TwitterID: mckeay
          (W) 707-495-7926

          On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:44 PM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:

          > On Tue 2008-11-04 01:16:47 UTC-0000, Ray Normandeau (ray60273@...)
          > wrote:
          >
          > > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
          > > from this Podcaster Group.
          > >
          > > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
          > > Yahoo ID!!
          >
          > I don't know what Grouply is but the Podcasters mailing list is no
          > different to any other public mailing list on the Internet. Anyone
          > can subscribe to it and anyone can use or misuse the email addresses
          > that subscribers use to post to the list. The fact it's hosted by
          > Yahoo is irrelevant. It's just the way mailing lists work.
          >
          > > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
          > > think staying here is a security risk.
          > >
          > > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
          > > be used to send out spam.
          >
          > It's good security practice to never give out your passwords to third
          > party sites. Any non-Yahoo site that asks for your Yahoo password
          > should be treated with suspicion. But assuming your Yahoo password is
          > only known by Yahoo and yourself, your Yahoo email inbox should be
          > safe too.
          >
          > However, note that anyone can send forged mail to make it look like it
          > appears from you or your email address. This is called e-mail
          > spoofing. Or a "Joe Job" if it's done maliciously.
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job
          >
          > Regards
          > Andrew
          >
          > (podcasters@yahoogroups.com owner)

        • joshuamcnichols
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
            I've been invited to Grouply several times after someone harvested my
            address from a robotics group. I always refuse. I hope everyone can
            see through the danger - any web app that asks for your yahoo password
            is surely up to no good. Even if the company is innocent, I'm sure a
            list of email addresses and their passwords would prove too valuable to
            keep private.

            That said, I don't blame this list. My email address is out there all
            over the web. It's the password that makes it valuable. Or am I
            missing something?

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Normandeau" <ray60273@...>
            wrote:

            > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
            > from this
            > Podcaster Group.
            >
            > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
            > Yahoo ID!!
            >
            > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
            > think staying here is a security risk.
            >
            > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
            > be used to send out spam.

          • Chris Moody
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
              Doesn't Yahoo also have an API, which allows sites that uses it to share
              info with Yahoo?

              If this was the case, then it wouldn't be a huge issue. No more so than
              signing in to a site with your MS Passport.

              Chris

              joshuamcnichols wrote:

              > I've been invited to Grouply several times after someone harvested my
              > address from a robotics group. I always refuse. I hope everyone can
              > see through the danger - any web app that asks for your yahoo password
              > is surely up to no good. Even if the company is innocent, I'm sure a
              > list of email addresses and their passwords would prove too valuable to
              > keep private.
              >
              > That said, I don't blame this list. My email address is out there all
              > over the web. It's the password that makes it valuable. Or am I
              > missing something?
              >
              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ray Normandeau" <ray60273@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
              > > from this
              > > Podcaster Group.
              > >
              > > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
              > > Yahoo ID!!
              > >
              > > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
              > > think staying here is a security risk.
              > >
              > > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
              > > be used to send out spam.

            • Kevin
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
                Wow, now I'm peranoid.

                Kevin
                sisco83@...
                http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

                wrote:

                > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
                > from this
                > Podcaster Group.
                >
                > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
                > Yahoo ID!!
                >
                > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
                > think staying here is a security risk.
                >
                > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
                > be used to send out spam.

              • writerpatrick
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
                  > from this
                  > Podcaster Group.
                  >
                  > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
                  > Yahoo ID!!
                  > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
                  > be used to send out spam.

                  Spam is to be expected when belonging to any public group. Newsgroups
                  have had spammers harvesting e-mail addresses for years. But all they
                  can get is just the e-mail; they can't get your password.

                  I've had a couple of those spams and just delete them along with the
                  rest of the spam.