Goodbye all

  • Ray Normandeau
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
      For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
      from this
      Podcaster Group.

      Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
      Yahoo ID!!

      I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
      think staying here is a security risk.

      Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
      be used to send out spam.
    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
        Well, sorry you feel you are at risk.

        Kevin
        sisco83@...
        http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
          On Tue 2008-11-04 01:16:47 UTC-0000, Ray Normandeau (ray60273@...) wrote:

          > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
          > from this Podcaster Group.
          >
          > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
          > Yahoo ID!!

          I don't know what Grouply is but the Podcasters mailing list is no
          different to any other public mailing list on the Internet. Anyone
          can subscribe to it and anyone can use or misuse the email addresses
          that subscribers use to post to the list. The fact it's hosted by
          Yahoo is irrelevant. It's just the way mailing lists work.

          > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
          > think staying here is a security risk.
          >
          > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
          > be used to send out spam.

          It's good security practice to never give out your passwords to third
          party sites. Any non-Yahoo site that asks for your Yahoo password
          should be treated with suspicion. But assuming your Yahoo password is
          only known by Yahoo and yourself, your Yahoo email inbox should be
          safe too.

          However, note that anyone can send forged mail to make it look like it
          appears from you or your email address. This is called e-mail
          spoofing. Or a "Joe Job" if it's done maliciously.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job

          Regards
          Andrew

          (podcasters@yahoogroups.com owner)
        • Martin McKeay
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2008
            And be careful not to blame the list for something that may not be related.
            Even if you only use this email for this list, it's not too hard to imagine
            someone figuring out your email address by deduction or by randomly throwing
            a bunch of characters together. Rather than unsubscribing from the list,
            you might want to ask if anyone else has been getting Grouply invites. I
            know I haven't, or if I have they've been caught by my spam filter. One of
            the terms you'll hear a lot in security and science, proximity does not
            equal causality. In other words, just because two incidents happen near
            each other doesn't mean they're related.

            Martin

            Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA
            Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
            and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
            Email: martin@...
            YIM: mmckeay@...
            TwitterID: mckeay
            (W) 707-495-7926

            On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:44 PM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:

            > On Tue 2008-11-04 01:16:47 UTC-0000, Ray Normandeau (ray60273@...)
            > wrote:
            >
            > > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
            > > from this Podcaster Group.
            > >
            > > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
            > > Yahoo ID!!
            >
            > I don't know what Grouply is but the Podcasters mailing list is no
            > different to any other public mailing list on the Internet. Anyone
            > can subscribe to it and anyone can use or misuse the email addresses
            > that subscribers use to post to the list. The fact it's hosted by
            > Yahoo is irrelevant. It's just the way mailing lists work.
            >
            > > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
            > > think staying here is a security risk.
            > >
            > > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
            > > be used to send out spam.
            >
            > It's good security practice to never give out your passwords to third
            > party sites. Any non-Yahoo site that asks for your Yahoo password
            > should be treated with suspicion. But assuming your Yahoo password is
            > only known by Yahoo and yourself, your Yahoo email inbox should be
            > safe too.
            >
            > However, note that anyone can send forged mail to make it look like it
            > appears from you or your email address. This is called e-mail
            > spoofing. Or a "Joe Job" if it's done maliciously.
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job
            >
            > Regards
            > Andrew
            >
            > (podcasters@yahoogroups.com owner)

          • joshuamcnichols
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
              I've been invited to Grouply several times after someone harvested my
              address from a robotics group. I always refuse. I hope everyone can
              see through the danger - any web app that asks for your yahoo password
              is surely up to no good. Even if the company is innocent, I'm sure a
              list of email addresses and their passwords would prove too valuable to
              keep private.

              That said, I don't blame this list. My email address is out there all
              over the web. It's the password that makes it valuable. Or am I
              missing something?

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Normandeau" <ray60273@...>
              wrote:

              > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
              > from this
              > Podcaster Group.
              >
              > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
              > Yahoo ID!!
              >
              > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
              > think staying here is a security risk.
              >
              > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
              > be used to send out spam.

            • Chris Moody
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
                Doesn't Yahoo also have an API, which allows sites that uses it to share
                info with Yahoo?

                If this was the case, then it wouldn't be a huge issue. No more so than
                signing in to a site with your MS Passport.

                Chris

                joshuamcnichols wrote:

                > I've been invited to Grouply several times after someone harvested my
                > address from a robotics group. I always refuse. I hope everyone can
                > see through the danger - any web app that asks for your yahoo password
                > is surely up to no good. Even if the company is innocent, I'm sure a
                > list of email addresses and their passwords would prove too valuable to
                > keep private.
                >
                > That said, I don't blame this list. My email address is out there all
                > over the web. It's the password that makes it valuable. Or am I
                > missing something?
                >
                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ray Normandeau" <ray60273@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
                > > from this
                > > Podcaster Group.
                > >
                > > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
                > > Yahoo ID!!
                > >
                > > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
                > > think staying here is a security risk.
                > >
                > > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
                > > be used to send out spam.

              • Kevin
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Wow, now I'm peranoid.

                  Kevin
                  sisco83@...
                  http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

                  wrote:

                  > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
                  > from this
                  > Podcaster Group.
                  >
                  > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
                  > Yahoo ID!!
                  >
                  > I will be leaving this group as soon as my message propagates as I
                  > think staying here is a security risk.
                  >
                  > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
                  > be used to send out spam.

                • writerpatrick
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
                    wrote:

                    > For the second time, today I got an invite to Grouply from my ID taken
                    > from this
                    > Podcaster Group.
                    >
                    > Grouply already has my Yahoo ID taken from here and it asks now for my
                    > Yahoo ID!!
                    > Next thing you know, if I fell for this, my Yahoo Email account would
                    > be used to send out spam.

                    Spam is to be expected when belonging to any public group. Newsgroups
                    have had spammers harvesting e-mail addresses for years. But all they
                    can get is just the e-mail; they can't get your password.

                    I've had a couple of those spams and just delete them along with the
                    rest of the spam.