Podcasting Plugin for WordPress 2.6.x

  • Kevin Bachelder
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
      Hey gang,

      I just launched a new podcast and setup the WordPress site for it.
      Naturally I've got the latest version of WordPress installed so the
      podpress plugin isn't working. I've seen a few suggested workarounds
      that are supposed to allow podpress 8.8 to work with WordPress 2.6.x
      but I can't get it to work on my new site. I'm probably missing
      something. I've tried the 'No Revisions' plugin, the wp-config.php
      single line fix as well as the recommended change to the
      podpress_admin_class.php file that I saw on a couple of discussion
      threads. I thought it might be time to go in a different direction.

      Is there another way to easily fix the podpress issue or is there a
      different plugin that offers a nice 'play in pop-up' player that you
      would recommend?

      Thanks for any and all help,

      Kevin

      --
      Fan of Science Fiction?
      If so, then you may enjoy listening to the award winning podcasts...

      Tuning Into Scifi TV
      http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

      The Signal (Firefly)
      http://www.serenityfirefly.com

      The ScapeCast (Farscape)
      http://www.scapecast.org

      Bite Back (Blood Ties)
      http://www.bloodtiespodcast.org

      Dragon*Pod (Dragon*Con)
      http://www.dragon-pod.com
    • Waldo O
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
        On that note...
        I accidentally upgraded to the new 2.7 beta...and EVERYTHING is different.

        With that said, the player will work with everything except Chrome.

        Any suggestions to get everything working again?

        waldo

        --
        Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
        Executive Producer

        "...you know what? I still get out of bed
        every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
        Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
        else..."
        - Edward Morris

      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
          On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Kevin Bachelder
          <kbachelder@...>wrote:

          > Hey gang,
          >
          > I just launched a new podcast and setup the WordPress site for it.
          > Naturally I've got the latest version of WordPress installed so the
          > podpress plugin isn't working. I've seen a few suggested workarounds
          > that are supposed to allow podpress 8.8 to work with WordPress 2.6.x
          > but I can't get it to work on my new site. I'm probably missing
          > something. I've tried the 'No Revisions' plugin, the wp-config.php
          > single line fix as well as the recommended change to the
          > podpress_admin_class.php file that I saw on a couple of discussion
          > threads. I thought it might be time to go in a different direction.
          >
          > Is there another way to easily fix the podpress issue or is there a
          > different plugin that offers a nice 'play in pop-up' player that you
          > would recommend?
          >
          > Thanks for any and all help,
          >
          > Kevin
          >
          > --
          > Fan of Science Fiction?
          > If so, then you may enjoy listening to the award winning podcasts...
          >
          > Tuning Into Scifi TV
          > http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com
          >
          > The Signal (Firefly)
          > http://www.serenityfirefly.com
          >
          > The ScapeCast (Farscape)
          > http://www.scapecast.org
          >
          > Bite Back (Blood Ties)
          > http://www.bloodtiespodcast.org
          >
          > Dragon*Pod (Dragon*Con)
          > http://www.dragon-pod.com
          >
          > .

          Blubbry has a podcasting plugin for WordPress called Powerpress. I haven't
          used it, but it's supposed to be compatible with WordPress 2.6.

          --
          -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
          Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

          Shawnogram - Content = life.
          http://www.shawnogram.com/

        • Kevin Bachelder
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
            > Blubbry has a podcasting plugin for WordPress called Powerpress. I haven't
            > used it, but it's supposed to be compatible with WordPress 2.6.
            >
            > --
            > -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe

            Thanks for the tip Shawn. I found this link helpful...

            http://help.blubrry.com/blubrry-powerpress/

            Can anyone who's using this comment on how well it's working for them?

            Thanks again,

            Kevin

            --
            Fan of Science Fiction?
            If so, then you may enjoy listening to the award winning podcasts...

            Tuning Into Scifi TV
            http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

            The Signal (Firefly)
            http://www.serenityfirefly.com

            The ScapeCast (Farscape)
            http://www.scapecast.org

            Bite Back (Blood Ties)
            http://www.bloodtiespodcast.org

            Dragon*Pod (Dragon*Con)
            http://www.dragon-pod.com
          • Mike Wills
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
              It is okay. It definatly doesn't have all of the features of PodPress, but
              it includes enclosures and you can setup your default CDN for your files. I
              would say if it is a new site, go ahead and give it a whirl. PodPress
              doesn't seem to be updated any time soon.

              Thinking I should do a full review of all three plugins for WordPress now.

              --
              Mike Wills
              Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
                3?
                Whats the other one?

                Podpress, Powerpress....and?

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Do a search in the plugin directory. There is a third written for the summer
                  of code through Google. It is on the bottom of my list, but it is still a
                  good plugin if PodPress doesn't work and you hate anything associalted with
                  BluBrry (or RawVoice).

                • techne1
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
                    I'm using Podcasting 1.65 on Wordpress 2.6. and it works quite well,
                    at least for my immediate needs. I tried one other (don't remember
                    which), and it gave me some issue with my PHP settings or something.

                    You can find the plugin here:
                    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/podcasting/

                    and of course see it in action on my site ;-)

                    Cheers, Marc

                    Romance is a Way of Being
                    http://www.incurable-romantic.com

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Bachelder" <kbachelder@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hey gang,
                    >
                    > I just launched a new podcast and setup the WordPress site for it.
                    > Naturally I've got the latest version of WordPress installed so the
                    > podpress plugin isn't working. I've seen a few suggested workarounds
                    > that are supposed to allow podpress 8.8 to work with WordPress 2.6.x
                    > but I can't get it to work on my new site. I'm probably missing
                    > something. I've tried the 'No Revisions' plugin, the wp-config.php
                    > single line fix as well as the recommended change to the
                    > podpress_admin_class.php file that I saw on a couple of discussion
                    > threads. I thought it might be time to go in a different direction.
                    >
                    > Is there another way to easily fix the podpress issue or is there a
                    > different plugin that offers a nice 'play in pop-up' player that you
                    > would recommend?
                    >

                    > Thanks for any and all help,
                    >
                    > Kevin
                    >
                    > --
                    > Fan of Science Fiction?
                    > If so, then you may enjoy listening to the award winning podcasts...
                    >
                    > Tuning Into Scifi TV
                    > http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com
                    >
                    > The Signal (Firefly)
                    > http://www.serenityfirefly.com
                    >
                    > The ScapeCast (Farscape)
                    > http://www.scapecast.org
                    >
                    > Bite Back (Blood Ties)
                    > http://www.bloodtiespodcast.org
                    >
                    > Dragon*Pod (Dragon*Con)
                    > http://www.dragon-pod.com

                  • Mike Wills
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
                      I am starting to write up a review of all three of them. I'll let everyone
                      know when I have it posted.

                      wrote:

                      > Hey gang,
                      >
                      > I just launched a new podcast and setup the WordPress site for it.
                      > Naturally I've got the latest version of WordPress installed so the
                      > podpress plugin isn't working. I've seen a few suggested workarounds
                      > that are supposed to allow podpress 8.8 to work with WordPress 2.6.x
                      > but I can't get it to work on my new site. I'm probably missing
                      > something. I've tried the 'No Revisions' plugin, the wp-config.php
                      > single line fix as well as the recommended change to the
                      > podpress_admin_class.php file that I saw on a couple of discussion
                      > threads. I thought it might be time to go in a different direction.
                      >
                      > Is there another way to easily fix the podpress issue or is there a
                      > different plugin that offers a nice 'play in pop-up' player that you
                      > would recommend?
                      >

                      > Thanks for any and all help,
                      >
                      > Kevin
                      >
                      > --
                      > Fan of Science Fiction?
                      > If so, then you may enjoy listening to the award winning podcasts...
                      >
                      > Tuning Into Scifi TV
                      > http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com
                      >
                      > The Signal (Firefly)
                      > http://www.serenityfirefly.com
                      >
                      > The ScapeCast (Farscape)
                      > http://www.scapecast.org
                      >
                      > Bite Back (Blood Ties)
                      > http://www.bloodtiespodcast.org
                      >
                      > Dragon*Pod (Dragon*Con)
                      > http://www.dragon-pod.com

                    • Kevin Bachelder
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 4, 2008
                        > I'm using Podcasting 1.65 on Wordpress 2.6. and it works quite well,
                        > at least for my immediate needs. I tried one other (don't remember
                        > which), and it gave me some issue with my PHP settings or something.
                        >
                        > You can find the plugin here:
                        > http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/podcasting/
                        >
                        > and of course see it in action on my site ;-)
                        >
                        > Cheers, Marc

                        Thanks Marc.

                        I've been using that one for about a week and it works fine. The
                        biggest limitation is that it doesn't appear to offer a "play in
                        pop-up" option and some of our listeners have specifically asked for
                        that functionality.

                        Kevin

                        --
                        Fan of Science Fiction?
                        If so, then you may enjoy listening to the award winning podcasts...

                        Tuning Into Scifi TV
                        http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

                        The Signal (Firefly)
                        http://www.serenityfirefly.com

                        The ScapeCast (Farscape)
                        http://www.scapecast.org

                        Bite Back (Blood Ties)
                        http://www.bloodtiespodcast.org

                        Dragon*Pod (Dragon*Con)
                        http://www.dragon-pod.com
                      • Todd Cochrane
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 4, 2008
                          All

                          I have been running our PowerPress plugin with WP 2.7 and everything
                          is working fine. Angelo has made some updates to it since it was
                          launched so if you are running a older version of PowerPress you will
                          want to update...

                          We will have a bigger update coming in a few weeks as we are adding
                          some functionality to it that has been requested.

                          http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/powerpress/

                          Note: There are some advanced features now as well that you can
                          implement via the Advanced section in the plugin.

                          Todd...