Re: USB Headsets?

  • Mike Sharpe
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2008
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "J.C. Hutchins" <wordherder1@...>
      wrote:

      > USB headsets are terrific cost-effective solutions for most
      > podcasters, but I suggest using a traditional mic/mixer setup for your
      > podiobook.
      >
      > Second only to story quality, sound quality is critically important
      > for podcast novels, and nearly all of the successful podnovelists I
      > know use traditional setups for this reason. It's better to make a
      > greater up-front investment for your gear, as poor audio quality will
      > turn off potential listeners. Same goes for "changing mics" in
      > mid-podiobook; this will create an inconsistent product.
      >
      > Since the podiobook space is becoming more and more popular (with more
      > titles competing for audience "listening time"), authors cannot afford
      > to give listeners a reason to bolt. Those listeners will move on to
      > stories that have better production values.
      >
      > Reach out to your favorite podnovelists via email to discover what
      > rigs they use, and why. I use a MX-990 mic and Behringer Eurorack
      > mixer. It cost me around $100 US for the combo. I'm certain there are
      > USB-based mics and mixers of comparable price.
      >
      > Good luck with your podcast novel!
      >
      > --J.C. Hutchins
      > author of the podiobook trilogy 7th Son

      I know that Mixer, My bro has one.. or he knows someone who has one.
      Even going for UK£50.(I didn't check the price, but I know where go
      and get it,). AS for the Mic.. If I say that they'll find it for me. I
      got my brother's Tascam US-144. If he was more reliable, and I could
      find a mike that I didn't need Hold as I spoke. I'd use that.

      I must make it clear I'm more of less trying to Podcast out of a
      backpack. I'm talking about the Laptop, Script, External HDD and Audio
      Equipment in the same bag, with all necessary leads too. (I know I can
      drop the HDD but when you've got only a few Gig's of free space on the
      Lappy you can see why I may need it. I'm running the assumption that
      that at least one "studio" for consideration won't have net access, at
      least for the Laptop.)

      Beyond following Evo's notes on the PodioBooks site. Any thing as
      someone who to get use to doing the podcasting? I have a feeling my
      first Episode will be called "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!" Due to my speach
      difficulties.

      I do have a 13 500 Novelette, which is going to be hard to stretch for
      A Podio book. Should I use that a trial run? If you It very rough at
      the mo, NaNo is preventing me to edit it.

      Mike
    • Jonathon_M_Johnson@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hello Mike-

        I am using the Microsoft LX-3000; $40.

        I use it with Audacity, Powergramo and skype.

        No problems with it other than the other end telling me that I am breating into the mic. LOL

        Cheers

        Jonathon M. Johnson
        Colorado

        From: "Mike Sharpe" <windytwit@...>
        Hi,

        I am beginning to plan to do a PodioBook/Podcast Novel, there is a
        Cheap USB Headset that sounds good for recording. I Live in the UK,
        and I'm really can't spend over �100.

        My local Computer retailer uses Trust hardware. http://www.trust.com/
        But I do have access other stores.

        I am Aiming to be able to Skype on Vista Home Basic/Premium (32-Bit),
        as well as recording a solo voice.

        Mike Sharpe

      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2008
          It was 2 Nov 2008, when Mike Sharpe commented:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am beginning to plan to do a PodioBook/Podcast Novel, there is a
          > Cheap USB Headset that sounds good for recording. I Live in the UK,
          > and I'm really can't spend over £100.
          >
          > My local Computer retailer uses Trust hardware. http://www.trust.com/
          > But I do have access other stores.
          >
          > I am Aiming to be able to Skype on Vista Home Basic/Premium (32-Bit),
          > as well as recording a solo voice.
          >
          > Mike Sharpe

          I can't personally vouch for any particular USB headset, but I've been
          druling ... Dreweling ... er ... foaming at the mouth over that one USB
          wireless headset Skype has for sale. $70-something US. Don't know how
          that translates. But I do like the idea of a wireless headset with a
          theoretical 20-foot range.

          Went to Wal-Mart today, got a "regular" headset, but the darn mike doesn't
          want to work with my laptop. Might even be the mike jack on the laptop,
          though.

          --

          Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://ggpo.grizzlysgrowls.com>
          Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2008
            On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:19 PM, J.C. Hutchins <wordherder1@...> wrote:
            > USB headsets are terrific cost-effective solutions for most
            > podcasters, but I suggest using a traditional mic/mixer setup for your
            > podiobook.

            I'm inclined to agree with the spirit behind this, but at the same
            time I think the same Rule of Five applies to podiobook producers as
            it does to everyone else. "Your first five episodes will suck."
            You're also most likely to podfade in your first five episodes.
            Dropping significant cash on equipment and then finding out you don't
            have the time or interest for podcasting that you thought you did can
            add financial damage to embarrassment.

            Hutch, you sound a lot better now than you did when you started. So
            does Sigler. So do I. So does everyone who's done this for a while.
            The fact that you were worse when you started didn't prevent you from
            getting to where you are now. Getting better over time never hurt
            anyone. And I think some ramp-up time is justified before putting
            real money into audio equipment. There should, if one is truly
            serious, be a second podcast novel to follow the first. And a third.
            Focus on your writing, delivery, and editing skills first.

            And anyway, a decent USB headset isn't a terrible solution. We're not
            talking tin cans with strings here.

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • J.C. Hutchins
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 2008
              Steve, I'd like to make the distinction that Mike was asking for
              advice regarding recording gear, and not for insight into performance
              or the organic process of becoming comfortable before a mic. His was a
              technical question.

              While I agree that your Rule Of Five has application to performance,
              persona and narration -- after all, few of us were "born" for the mic
              -- spending around $100 for a mic and mixer combo is far from a
              "significant cash" investment, and I stand by my assertion that using
              a cheap headset mic or changing gear in the middle of a podiobook are
              bad ideas.

              Anthology- or magazine-style podfiction programming such as yours can
              afford the flexibility of experimentation with, or upgrading, hardware
              in mid-stream. The listener's demands and expectations are different.
              However, I still assert that a podcast novel is a different beast, and
              requires a technical consistency and quality that begins with its
              first episode. This isn't snobbery speaking; it's opinion based on
              audience anecdotes and experience.

              I've used the same rig and software since I launched my podcast
              fiction in early 2006. And while I've received critiques about my
              performances from way back then -- in which your Rule Of Five
              regarding narration and persona certainly applies -- I've never had a
              gripe about my audio quality. I suspect the traditional gear I
              purchased for $100 has a great deal to do with that.

              --J.C. Hutchins
              author of the 7th Son podiobook trilogy

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

              > I'm inclined to agree with the spirit behind this, but at the same
              > time I think the same Rule of Five applies to podiobook producers as
              > it does to everyone else....
            • Walt Snider
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 3, 2008
                After dropping more than $2500 on mics to record from the computer, I think
                the best of the bunch is the LX-3000 which is currently around $30 on
                Amazon. Just don’t install the software when you get it if you’re on a
                Windows box, it’s not necessary. I use it in around ½ of my shows.

                Walt Snider
                phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
                email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
                web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
                blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
                podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

                <mailto:wordherder1%40hotmail.com> > wrote:
                > USB headsets are terrific cost-effective solutions for most
                > podcasters, but I suggest using a traditional mic/mixer setup for your
                > podiobook.

                I'm inclined to agree with the spirit behind this, but at the same
                time I think the same Rule of Five applies to podiobook producers as
                it does to everyone else. "Your first five episodes will suck."
                You're also most likely to podfade in your first five episodes.
                Dropping significant cash on equipment and then finding out you don't
                have the time or interest for podcasting that you thought you did can
                add financial damage to embarrassment.

                Hutch, you sound a lot better now than you did when you started. So
                does Sigler. So do I. So does everyone who's done this for a while.
                The fact that you were worse when you started didn't prevent you from
                getting to where you are now. Getting better over time never hurt
                anyone. And I think some ramp-up time is justified before putting
                real money into audio equipment. There should, if one is truly
                serious, be a second podcast novel to follow the first. And a third.
                Focus on your writing, delivery, and editing skills first.

                And anyway, a decent USB headset isn't a terrible solution. We're not
                talking tin cans with strings here.

                Steve Eley (sfeley@... <mailto:sfeley%40gmail.com> )
                http://www.escapepod.org

              • Noble Acuff
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 3, 2008
                  While I quickly went down the road of dedicated mixer / mic / etc. I
                  recorded my first couple of episodes with a Plantronics USB headset (see
                  link) and have had great luck with it for Skype, the occasional
                  recording, etc. I have to say it is a much more portable solution, and
                  IMHO the sound quality isn't bad at all, just not broadcast quality. If
                  you're looking for a lightweight, inexpensive, decent-sounding solution
                  you should check it out; from what I recall Leo Laporte has many of the
                  TWIT podcasters on these when they do their Skype calls, and he seems to
                  be doing just fine with his podcasts ;)

                  http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-DSP400-Foldable-Multimedia-Headset/dp/B000VEMNRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225773138&sr=8-1

                  Cheers,
                  Noble
                  Check out my blog at http://nobleacuff.com

                • kscolligan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 4, 2008
                    Wow, $2,500 on mics?!!!

                    I think my little podcast sounds pretty good with a modest $80 Samson
                    C01U mic:

                    http://www.amazon.com/Samson-CO1U-USB-Condenser-Mic/dp/B000AP1RE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1225866493&sr=8-1

                    Nothing fancy, but works fine for my intros and outros and some short
                    story recordings (generally, I rely on readers with their own set-ups,
                    which may or may not be more elaborate.)

                    I'm lucky to have Apple's Soundtrack Pro for editing, but used
                    Audacity for my first 15 or so shows (before I got sick of it crashing.)

                    More experienced folks than me have made the wise suggestion to keep
                    your expenses as low as possible when starting out. If you end up
                    loving podcasting, you can always spend more.

                    Cheers,
                    Kevin

                    Well Told Tales
                    pulp-fiction podcast

                    http://WellToldTales.com

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Snider" <waltsnider@...> wrote:

                    > After dropping more than $2500 on mics to record from the computer,
                    I think
                    > the best of the bunch is the LX-3000 which is currently around $30 on
                    > Amazon. Just don't install the software when you get it if you're on a
                    > Windows box, it's not necessary. I use it in around ½ of my shows.
                    >

                    > Walt Snider
                    > phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
                    > email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
                    > web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
                    > blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
                    > podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

                  • writerpatrick
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 6, 2008
                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Usdin, Robert" <rob@...> wrote:

                      > Hi folks,
                      >
                      > Going to be starting my own podcast soon. I'm having troubles with
                      the
                      > line in on my PC - whenever I record it's coming in really
                      distorted. I
                      > was just playing and doing some tests and plugging the mic I have
                      (just
                      > a standard little mic that came with the PC) into the mic port, and
                      > get nothing. The line in port of course comes in really distorted.

                      First off, you should have your mic in the MIC port, not the LINE-IN.
                      LINE-IN would be for output from a recording device or stereo system.

                      If you're not getting anything off the mic then you want to check
                      that the computer isn't muting it. Go to "Sound and audio properties"
                      either through the control panel or right clicking on the speaker
                      icon and selecting "Adjust audio properties," select the "Voice" tab,
                      and select "Volume" under the voice recording section. This will
                      bring up recording volume controls. Make sure the microphone
                      recording isn't muted and it's slider is at the top.

                      It is possible to get decent recordings with plug-in mics, but you
                      need a decent mic to begin with. You will probably want to replace
                      the mic that came with your machine--most aren't any better than
                      dollar store mics. As long as you have a decent sound card (which
                      most computers do) and don't plan to record music you should be able
                      to get by with just a plug-in.

                      And there's no point in spending a lot of money on a mic until you
                      know what you want from the mic and whether you're going to continue
                      podcasting.