Re: Podcast Insiders

  • techne1
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
      I'm inclined to agree with you in principle, in that there should be
      some sort of service targeted at teaching small to medium sized
      businesses the value of podcasting for business. Unfortunately, from
      what I can see on the front page they are targeting people like me,
      who don't know much (if anything) about podcasting.

      From their home page:

      "What’s more is that podcasting is so new that there are unknown
      niches just waiting to be developed. You can literally be broadcasting
      to the world and profiting from it with a hobby you do, experience you
      have learned, or are an expert in."

      From this it looks like they are trying to get the "make money online"
      product buyer, not corporate types.

      On a side note: I'm not surprised that marketers are starting to get
      in on podcasting. Google recently announced that they are working on
      technologies that will be able to "hear" the spoken word of audio and
      video based media, and index it by keywords and phrases in the search
      results, just like it does with text based information. i would hate
      to be the engineers trying to figure that one out, with all the
      different accents and dialects available in the English language.

      Cheers, Marc
      http://www.incurable-romantic.com

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "J.C. Hutchins" <wordherder1@...>
      wrote:

      > So an entrepreneur sees a business opportunity in sharing the
      > expertise of several podcasters. He builds a subscription-based model
      > around it in the hopes of *actually profiting* from podcasting. The
      > apparent goal: to provide podcasting best practices to
      > corporate-types. Where's the rub?
      >
      > Businesses can easily afford the $100/month subscription fee, and will
      > undoubtedly score much more than that in value from Colligan's (and
      > others') advice. The service sounds like a good idea.
      >
      > I hope the project helps businesses spread their messages in
      > innovative and interesting ways. Fussing about this service seems like
      > a waste of time.
      >

      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <grizzly@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these
      > people, exactly?

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
        It does seem interesting...

        Kevin
        sisco83@...
        http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

        So an entrepreneur sees a business opportunity in sharing the
        expertise of several podcasters. He builds a subscription-based model
        around it in the hopes of *actually profiting* from podcasting. The
        apparent goal: to provide podcasting best practices to
        corporate-types. Where's the rub?

        Businesses can easily afford the $100/month subscription fee, and will
        undoubtedly score much more than that in value from Colligan's (and
        others') advice. The service sounds like a good idea.

        I hope the project helps businesses spread their messages in
        innovative and interesting ways. Fussing about this service seems like
        a waste of time.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <grizzly@...> wrote:

        > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these
        people, exactly?

      • Pat Cook
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hi everyone:

          If this was some organization that covered the world of podcasting like "Hollywood Insider" covers life in Hollywood, I'd consider it FREE PUBLICITY. But if I have to pay BIG $$$ for it, NO WAY JOSE!!!

          Hollywood stars don't pay the paparazzi to plaster their faces at every chance. So why should we do the same with a paid service? Is it their intent to be a paid paparazzi service? If so, do they honestly think we'll ACTUALLY BE DUMB ENOUGH TO _PAY_ THEM???

          If they think that, they're NUTS.

          Just my opinion...

          Pat Cook
          patsblogs@...
          Denver, CO
          BLOGS & PODCASTS
          AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturns.blogspot.com/
          AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com/
          KB0OXD CYBERSHACK | HAM MUSINGS - http://kb0oxd.blogspot.com/
          KB0OXD CYBERSHACK | SITE & STATION NEWS - http://kb0oxdcybershacknews.blogspot.com/
          THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE - http://theleftwingconservative.blogspot.com/

          > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these people,
          > exactly? I've heard of one, exactly?
          >
          > How many are podcasters?
          >
          > Exactly.
          >
          > <http://podcastinsiders.com/>
          >
          > --
          >
          > Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
          > Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
          > <http://grizzlysgrowls.com/index.php?post_category=story>
          >
          > .

          $99.00/month? No thanks.

          --
          -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
          Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

          Shawnogram - Content = life.
          http://www.shawnogram.com/

        • Paul Puri
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
            On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

            > Hollywood stars don't pay the paparazzi to plaster their faces at every
            > chance. So why should we do the same with a paid service? Is it their
            > intent to be a paid paparazzi service? If so, do they honestly think we'll
            > ACTUALLY BE DUMB ENOUGH TO _PAY_ THEM???

            People pay for plumbers, lawyers, teachers, consultants, doctors, and
            nurses. Why not podcasters? Free is not the best business model for
            everybody.

            Paul Puri

          • kscolligan
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
              But my advice is free.

              Oh wait, you mean that *other* Colligan.

              That no-relation sonuva-*#^&*#$% even owns the Colligan.com domain ...
              good thing I podcast under a pen name.

              Kevin Colligan
              …………………………………………………………

              Well Told Tales
              pulp-fiction podcast

              http://WellToldTales.com

              wrote:

              > So an entrepreneur sees a business opportunity in sharing the
              > expertise of several podcasters. He builds a subscription-based model
              > around it in the hopes of *actually profiting* from podcasting. The
              > apparent goal: to provide podcasting best practices to
              > corporate-types. Where's the rub?
              >
              > Businesses can easily afford the $100/month subscription fee, and will
              > undoubtedly score much more than that in value from Colligan's (and
              > others') advice. The service sounds like a good idea.
              >
              > I hope the project helps businesses spread their messages in
              > innovative and interesting ways. Fussing about this service seems like
              > a waste of time.
              >

              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <grizzly@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these
              > people, exactly?

            • David Jackson
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                Interesting that people will get to talk to me for 99 bucks a month. Why not sign up at my site for less than half that and talk to me live. If this is someone I partnered with I sure don't remember it. The picture looks like Taylor Merik. The email address has Taylor in the name.

                Taylor, can you refresh my memory?

                Dave
                > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these people,
                > exactly? I've heard of one, exactly?
                >
                > How many are podcasters?
                >
                > Exactly.
                >
                > <http://podcastinsiders.com/>