Re: [podcasters] Re: Podcast Insiders

  • Geek -
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
      I also took a look. I know Paul Colligan is a well known internet
      marketer, and both he and Dave Jackson are on Today in Podcasting, the
      previously faded show with Rob Walch and P.Dilly from Podcast Pickle.
      I seem to recall some questioning of Leesa Barnes' credentials in the
      past. I am curious, though, who actually runs the site. It's domain by
      proxy, so no idea on who owns the site, and the blog roll could just
      be naming some of the more known names in the 'industry'. Personally I
      would not trust them, and wouldn't give them my money, but enough
      people would to make it worthwhile.

      Dwight Wallbridge,
      Blogger, Photographer, Geek

      All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/
      The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
      Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/

      On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM, techne1 <techne.eikon@...> wrote:
      > i took a quick look at the site, and here's what I found: these people
      > are internet marketers. Two of them appear to have some sort of
      > podcast, or at least an audio component to their blog, but no real
      > credentials beyond that that I could see.
      >
      > The part that I find kind of silly is that at least one of them has a
      > competing product to the membership site! I'm not entirely sure about
      > the wisdom of that strategy, heh.
      >
      > Regardless, I don't think that they are going about it correctly
      > (IMHO). If it were me, I would have a free membership that offers
      > entry level information, with just a bit of intermediate info to get
      > people excited. I would follow that with some premium content targeted
      > at intermediate to expert level podcasters, and charge for that. Oh,
      > and I would know what I'm doing, both as a podcaster and a marketer...
      >
      > Cheers, Marc
      > Romance is a Way of Being
      > http://www.incurable-romantic.com
      >
      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <grizzly@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these people,
      >> exactly? I've heard of one, exactly?
      >>
      >> How many are podcasters?
      >>
      >> Exactly.
      >>
      >> <http://podcastinsiders.com/>
      >>
      >> --
      >>
      >> Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
      >> Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
      >> <http://grizzlysgrowls.com/index.php?post_category=story>

    • J.C. Hutchins
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
        So an entrepreneur sees a business opportunity in sharing the
        expertise of several podcasters. He builds a subscription-based model
        around it in the hopes of *actually profiting* from podcasting. The
        apparent goal: to provide podcasting best practices to
        corporate-types. Where's the rub?

        Businesses can easily afford the $100/month subscription fee, and will
        undoubtedly score much more than that in value from Colligan's (and
        others') advice. The service sounds like a good idea.

        I hope the project helps businesses spread their messages in
        innovative and interesting ways. Fussing about this service seems like
        a waste of time.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <grizzly@...> wrote:

        > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these
        people, exactly?
      • techne1
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
          I'm inclined to agree with you in principle, in that there should be
          some sort of service targeted at teaching small to medium sized
          businesses the value of podcasting for business. Unfortunately, from
          what I can see on the front page they are targeting people like me,
          who don't know much (if anything) about podcasting.

          From their home page:

          "What’s more is that podcasting is so new that there are unknown
          niches just waiting to be developed. You can literally be broadcasting
          to the world and profiting from it with a hobby you do, experience you
          have learned, or are an expert in."

          From this it looks like they are trying to get the "make money online"
          product buyer, not corporate types.

          On a side note: I'm not surprised that marketers are starting to get
          in on podcasting. Google recently announced that they are working on
          technologies that will be able to "hear" the spoken word of audio and
          video based media, and index it by keywords and phrases in the search
          results, just like it does with text based information. i would hate
          to be the engineers trying to figure that one out, with all the
          different accents and dialects available in the English language.

          Cheers, Marc
          http://www.incurable-romantic.com

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "J.C. Hutchins" <wordherder1@...>
          wrote:

          > So an entrepreneur sees a business opportunity in sharing the
          > expertise of several podcasters. He builds a subscription-based model
          > around it in the hopes of *actually profiting* from podcasting. The
          > apparent goal: to provide podcasting best practices to
          > corporate-types. Where's the rub?
          >
          > Businesses can easily afford the $100/month subscription fee, and will
          > undoubtedly score much more than that in value from Colligan's (and
          > others') advice. The service sounds like a good idea.
          >
          > I hope the project helps businesses spread their messages in
          > innovative and interesting ways. Fussing about this service seems like
          > a waste of time.
          >

          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <grizzly@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these
          > people, exactly?

        • Kevin
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
            It does seem interesting...

            Kevin
            sisco83@...
            http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

            So an entrepreneur sees a business opportunity in sharing the
            expertise of several podcasters. He builds a subscription-based model
            around it in the hopes of *actually profiting* from podcasting. The
            apparent goal: to provide podcasting best practices to
            corporate-types. Where's the rub?

            Businesses can easily afford the $100/month subscription fee, and will
            undoubtedly score much more than that in value from Colligan's (and
            others') advice. The service sounds like a good idea.

            I hope the project helps businesses spread their messages in
            innovative and interesting ways. Fussing about this service seems like
            a waste of time.

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <grizzly@...> wrote:

            > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these
            people, exactly?

          • Pat Cook
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
              Hi everyone:

              If this was some organization that covered the world of podcasting like "Hollywood Insider" covers life in Hollywood, I'd consider it FREE PUBLICITY. But if I have to pay BIG $$$ for it, NO WAY JOSE!!!

              Hollywood stars don't pay the paparazzi to plaster their faces at every chance. So why should we do the same with a paid service? Is it their intent to be a paid paparazzi service? If so, do they honestly think we'll ACTUALLY BE DUMB ENOUGH TO _PAY_ THEM???

              If they think that, they're NUTS.

              Just my opinion...

              Pat Cook
              patsblogs@...
              Denver, CO
              BLOGS & PODCASTS
              AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturns.blogspot.com/
              AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com/
              KB0OXD CYBERSHACK | HAM MUSINGS - http://kb0oxd.blogspot.com/
              KB0OXD CYBERSHACK | SITE & STATION NEWS - http://kb0oxdcybershacknews.blogspot.com/
              THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE - http://theleftwingconservative.blogspot.com/

              > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these people,
              > exactly? I've heard of one, exactly?
              >
              > How many are podcasters?
              >
              > Exactly.
              >
              > <http://podcastinsiders.com/>
              >
              > --
              >
              > Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
              > Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
              > <http://grizzlysgrowls.com/index.php?post_category=story>
              >
              > .

              $99.00/month? No thanks.

              --
              -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
              Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

              Shawnogram - Content = life.
              http://www.shawnogram.com/

            • Paul Puri
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
                On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

                > Hollywood stars don't pay the paparazzi to plaster their faces at every
                > chance. So why should we do the same with a paid service? Is it their
                > intent to be a paid paparazzi service? If so, do they honestly think we'll
                > ACTUALLY BE DUMB ENOUGH TO _PAY_ THEM???

                People pay for plumbers, lawyers, teachers, consultants, doctors, and
                nurses. Why not podcasters? Free is not the best business model for
                everybody.

                Paul Puri

              • kscolligan
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                  But my advice is free.

                  Oh wait, you mean that *other* Colligan.

                  That no-relation sonuva-*#^&*#$% even owns the Colligan.com domain ...
                  good thing I podcast under a pen name.

                  Kevin Colligan
                  …………………………………………………………

                  Well Told Tales
                  pulp-fiction podcast

                  http://WellToldTales.com

                  wrote:

                  > So an entrepreneur sees a business opportunity in sharing the
                  > expertise of several podcasters. He builds a subscription-based model
                  > around it in the hopes of *actually profiting* from podcasting. The
                  > apparent goal: to provide podcasting best practices to
                  > corporate-types. Where's the rub?
                  >
                  > Businesses can easily afford the $100/month subscription fee, and will
                  > undoubtedly score much more than that in value from Colligan's (and
                  > others') advice. The service sounds like a good idea.
                  >
                  > I hope the project helps businesses spread their messages in
                  > innovative and interesting ways. Fussing about this service seems like
                  > a waste of time.
                  >

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <grizzly@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these
                  > people, exactly?

                • David Jackson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Interesting that people will get to talk to me for 99 bucks a month. Why not sign up at my site for less than half that and talk to me live. If this is someone I partnered with I sure don't remember it. The picture looks like Taylor Merik. The email address has Taylor in the name.

                    Taylor, can you refresh my memory?

                    Dave
                    > Just came across the "Podcast Insiders" podcast. Who are these people,
                    > exactly? I've heard of one, exactly?
                    >
                    > How many are podcasters?
                    >
                    > Exactly.
                    >
                    > <http://podcastinsiders.com/>