Re: [podcasters] Re: Clueless In Podville

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 29, 2008
      On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM, techne1 <techne.eikon@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the tips, truly appreciated. Bitrate concerns aside, I was
      > wondering about the mic myself. My main concern at the moment is an
      > annoying background hiss that I can hear, especially when I turn the
      > volume up for playback. As near as I can tell it's one of two things
      > (possibly both). First, I'm wondering if the mic isn't too close to my
      > desktop speaker (about a foot), so that even when I turn the speakers
      > all the way down they are still producing enough EM interference to
      > produce this trace noise.

      Well, that's easy enough to test. Unplug the speakers, or move them
      or the mic. Record both ways and see if anything changes. But PC
      speakers are magnetically shielded, and I'd bet on PC fan noise or
      just a crappy mic with a lousy signal-to-noise-ratio before I bet on
      electrical interference.

      > The second thing is simply the quality of my mic. It's a $20 logitek
      > pc mic, which I originally purchased for internet telephone
      > applications. One of the features of the mic is that it dampens
      > ambient noise, which also means that if I'm too far away, I record far
      > too quietly. To combat this, I tried turning up the software gain on
      > the mic, and noticed that the more I turned it up, the more pronounced
      > the hiss became. I may simply need to move the mic closer to my mouth.

      Yeah, that's a pretty obvious improvement. The distance between mic
      and mouth should always be measured in inches, not feet. (How many
      inches depends on the mic, the mouth, and the material.) But I'm
      solidifying my case for "crappy mic," too. Get a better one.

      If you want to keep things simple, a $40 USB headset mic will sound
      fine and make it really easy to keep the mic close to your mouth
      without having to train yourself for proper mic technique. A studio
      mic (either USB-powered or mixer-driven) like the AT2020 that John
      McJunkin suggests will definitely sound better, but it'd cost more
      too, and even with the USB model you have to mess around with stands
      and pop filters and mic position. Unless you're sincerely
      overambitious (I was), if you're still on your first few episodes I'd
      advise not worrying about it yet.

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • techne1
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 29, 2008
        Actually Jonathon, it's my bad...

        As one who does a touch of webdesign on the side, I should have known
        better. Actually, I do know better. When I first coded the design I
        had intended to install an IE specific style sheet for precisely that
        reason, but got wrapped up in other things for a few weeks, and
        forgot... (smacks head: Doh!)

        The only current browser that I couldn't test on was Safari, so I'm
        glad to hear that it looks ok there too. Thanks :-)

        As for the screen resolution, that was a design decision I made. Only
        around 3%-5% of our visitors use 800x600 or smaller, so we opted for
        the larger design. It was the only way that I could fit everything
        that I wanted on the page. Unfortunately, that has turned out to be a
        design flaw in and of itself ...*shrug*...

        And the upshot of all of this is that once I can see well enough to
        fix it, I will be redesigning the site anyway... Maybe this time I
        won't forget, heh.

        Oh, and final note: I'd love to hear what kind of podcast you come up
        with... 'cuz I'm not particularly "up there" just yet...

        Cheers, Marc
        http://www.incurable-romantic.com

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Jonathon_M_Johnson@... wrote:

        > Hello Marc-
        >
        > Ok... My Bad....
        >
        > I am running IE7.
        >
        > I tried it on Mozilla and Safari and it looked great; the words are
        not in the tree branches, the search is up at the top and not
        overlapping any birds but just a little bit on a leaf, the side boxes
        are up to the top and aligned with the middle box.

        > I understand that different browsers are going to do that, so My Bad
        and bad IE7... bad, bad, bad! LOL

        > I usually have my screen at 1024x768, and that way on IE7 it was
        bad; but I changed my screen to 800x600, and though the words were not
        on the tree branches; the screen was scrollable from left to right.

        > So keep on Podding...
        >
        > Someday I will be right up there with you Marc.
        >
        > Jonathon M. Johnson
        > Colorado
        > <the guy with no podcast :-( >
      • techne1
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 29, 2008
          I was going to ask about headset mics, now that you mention it...
          Until I'm back to work a more expensive mic is not advisable, if only
          because my wife would likely strangle me with the cord, heh. But the
          2020 is very much on my buy list, just down the road, for I too am
          overly ambitious. That, and I like my geek toys...

          In the meantimes I will play with the mic position, etc, and see what
          happens.