Re: [podcasters] Joint stereo *always*?

  • Mike Wills
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2008
      I tried this recently with one of my shows. I encode at 160kbps and didn't
      do joint stereo. This last show I used Joint Stereo and the file was about
      1/2 the size and sounded the same to me.

      On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

      > On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Nobilis <authornobilis@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > But if I'm using stereo separation for dramatic purposes, such as
      > > having sound effects move from one channel to the other, or having two
      > > events happening at the same time in different channels? I think
      > > "always" may be a bit of a strong term.
      >
      > That'll sound just fine in joint stereo with mid/side separation. In
      > fact, it'll sound exactly like it would in plain stereo. There is
      > *no* difference in the sound output. Joint stereo simply separates
      > the sound component that's identical in both channels (the 'mid'
      > channel) from the sound that's different (the 'side' channel) and uses
      > variable channel widths for efficiency. You don't lose a thing.
      >
      > The only caveat I can think of is to make sure you're using a decent
      > bit rate, because at 64 kbps or less many encoders fall back to
      > intensity stereo, which *is* somewhat lossy, although not generally at
      > frequencies where your ear can tell the difference. (See the
      > Wikipedia article on 'joint stereo' for details on intensity vs. M/S
      > joint stereo encoding.)
      >
      > If you don't believe me, try it. Post links here to a "dramatic
      > stereo" sample encoded twice, at 128 kbps, once with full stereo and
      > once with joint stereo. Name them A and B and don't tell us which is
      > which. If at least six people on this list listen to them with their
      > best headphones and two-thirds of them can accurately identify which
      > one is joint stereo, I'll buy you lunch at Balticon.
      >

      > --
      > Have Fun,
      > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
      > http://www.escapepod.org

      Mike Wills
      mike@...
      Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
      Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
      Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills

      Podcasts:
      Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
      Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com