Re: [podcasters] Re: Does My Podcast Suck?

  • Paul Puri
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 17, 2008
      On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Josh <the_pro_x_20@...> wrote:

      > Have you only put out one episode?
      > Also, have you advertised as much as you can with friends/family?
      >
      > If yes and no respectively, wait until you update steadily and
      > advertise more. That's what got my podcast in a relatively good
      > downloading cycle. Now I see about 230+ downloads a month, and we're
      > only on our 7th episode!

      These peoples know what they say.

      First, start with your email sig, or lack of one. You need a title and site
      in every email you send.

      Next, start cruising the social networks. Twitter, Bebo, Facebook, MySpace,
      Pownced, LinkedIn, Plaxo, Friendfeed, Brightkite, etc. Claim your name and
      podcast in each of these sites before someone else does. Get a HelloTxt
      account and then you can update all of them at the same time.

      Start talking to others on these sites so they get to know you. No B.S.
      about listening to your podcast. Start a real conversation, and then they
      will get to know who you are and what you love. Then everytime you have a
      new show come out, update your network. Since they already have had
      interaction with you, they will be curious and perhaps check out the show.

      Listen to other podcasts with similiar interests. Comment on their voicemail
      lines and their sites.

      Visit blogs and comment on them. Real genuine comments. If people like what
      you have to say, they will follow the link to your site.

      Start your own blog. Extend your content and grow it from there.

      It's all about the conversation. If it is real, people will listen.

      If you need help, or more specifics, just ask. We live for that stuff.

      ;>)

      Paul Puri
      http://www.paulpuri.blogspot.com

      Signature under construction.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 18, 2008
        On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 8:59 PM, urbanskypodcast
        <urbanskypodcast@...> wrote:

        > Either my podcast really sucks, or something else is going on here,
        > like someone's put a hex on it so people don't listen to it. :)

        Everyone else has already pointed out that listeners don't spring
        forth fully grown from Zeus's forehead, so I won't go there again.
        But one thing no one's mentioned is *when* you should promote.

        I often advise the Rule of Five. Wait until you have five episodes
        out. *Then* push out your promos to other podcasters, talk it up in
        the appropriate online communities, etc. etc. The number five has
        some useful features. It establishes credibility -- people are less
        likely to think you'll fade after an episode or two. You've also
        established patterns for your content and people will have a good idea
        what to expect.

        More important, by the time you've done five, you've gotten
        considerably *better* at podcasting than you were in your first
        episode. It takes most of us five episodes to not suck. Improvement
        is an ongoing process throughout the entire life of your podcast, but
        the curve is highest in the beginning. So anyone who comes in on your
        fifth episode will know more what you're really capable of than
        someone who comes in on your first. You'll know more what you're
        capable of too.

        Most podcasts do fade within five episodes. That's because a lot of
        people find out right away that they don't have the time, the
        patience, or the interest. I have no idea whether you do or not. If
        you do, you can wait a few more weeks before turning on the promotion
        engine full throttle. If you don't...isn't it better to find that out
        before telling everyone?

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Cian Mac Mahon
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 18, 2008
          Oh, and remember, about 99% of podcasters have First Episodes that
          SUCK. I did, pretty much every show I listen to did. If you have a
          sucky first episode, it's not because you are a useless podcaster, but
          because it is your first episode!

          But seriously. 8 listeners for one week of a show you have done NO
          promotion for and only has one episode is pretty much on par. Get
          people talking about your show, and even if you don't get any comments
          from anybody, keep doing them daily/weekly/monthly/whatever.

          Cian

          (Note my signature.)
          Cian Mac Mahon
          Professional Podcaster
          Available for voice work, consulting

          www.viewfromthequad.com
          www.StartingWoW.com
        • Kevin
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 18, 2008
            Well, what's the URL?

            Kevin
            sisco83@...
            http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 18, 2008
              good point...my first episode really sucked!
              :)

              Kevin
              sisco83@...
              http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 19, 2008
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "urbanskypodcast"
                <urbanskypodcast@...> wrote:

                > Published my first podcast, 'Geeks and Geek Culture' on libsyn more
                > than a week ago.
                >
                > So far, just eight people have listened to it. Two of them are
                friends
                > of mine. No comments, but my friends did say (offline) they liked
                the
                > podcast. I was hoping for more listeners and more objective
                feedback.

                > Two might have subscribed to the RSS feed, but libsyn's stats
                aren't
                > detailed enough to let me know if they actually subscribed, or just
                > simply happened to download the 'cast from the RSS side of my
                blogpage.

                > Either my podcast really sucks, or something else is going on here,
                > like someone's put a hex on it so people don't listen to it. :)

                This is one of the same mistakes people often make in starting a
                business. They think that as soon as they start customers will
                magically show up. That's what advertizing is for.

                There are a number of websites to list and promote a podcast, but
                many require at least three to five episodes of the show before they
                will list it. As such, you should just ignore the initial numbers.
                Try to make sure you're on iTunes and Zune, and provide links for
                people to subscribe using them. Although considering that there's
                over 100,000 podcasts currently on iTunes, don't expect many new
                listeners from it because they probably will have a hard time
                finding you on it.

                I've found that how popular a show is depends on a few factors. One
                of them is time. Shows that have been around longer tend to have
                higher numbers, but that is often due to other factors.

                Another reason one show may be more popular than others is subject
                matter. Blue Hot Gossip, my comedy podcast tends to get more
                downloads (at least from the torrentcast) than Podcast Ping which is
                poetry and music. Even in publishing, poetry tends to be a hard sell
                (hence the music). Although I've had great success with my reading
                of Beowulf. It takes time to learn how popular the subject is.

                Cross promotion, that is getting your podcast mentioned on other
                podcasts and promoting other podcasts, including running ads,
                appears to be one of the most effective ways to get listeners. It's
                particularly useful if you get mentioned on a podcast with a large
                number of listeners.

                Also consider competition. If there's hundreds of podcasts doing the
                same thing you're doing then you need to be better than them, or at
                least offer something they don't. Every year the number of
                competitors seems to double or triple. A Google search for "geek
                podcast" produced over half-a-million results (although many will
                refer to the same podcast). Podcast Alley lists at least 200 (which
                appears to be it's maximum).

                And there's a lot of professionals and corperations now getting into
                podcasting. You may be facing a situation where you need to steal
                listeners away from other podcasts so they'll listen to yours. (If
                podcasting hasn't reached that point yet, it is coming soon.)

                One thing you can do that does work, especially at this stage, is to
                participate in forums. It's an easy way to find out who's there. And
                podcasts that allow listeners to participate in their podcasts tend
                to be more popular. But it could be a while before you get feedback
                since you first need enough listeners who wish to give feedback.

                There will always be those who don't like subscribing but prefer to
                just download stuff. Don't force people to listen through iTunes or
                a podcatcher only. Make a download available from your podcast
                website. Find and explore new ways to distribute and promote the
                podcast. That's how I stumbled across torrentcasting.

                I decided to use Mininova to distribute what would be considered a
                torrentcast of my podcasts and over the past few weeks I've been
                seeing a few thousands downloads a week. (Most podcasters get at
                least 100 downloads per show.) And I'm creeping towards a quarter
                million downloads overall. Although the podcast subscribership has
                hardly grown above 50 in over a year. That just shows me that some
                people prefer certain ways to get their material. And it may be that
                people are getting away from using podcatchers. I know I find it
                easier to download directly than to go through iTunes.

                Remember that podcasting has become quite crowded over the past few
                years and you shouldn't expect things to go the same way for your
                that they did for someone who started out a few years ago. You have
                to work harder and constantly search for new and undeveloped
                outlets. (Even Mininova's getting filled, although there's still
                space.) That doesn't mean give up now, it just means that you need
                to find ways to promote and distribute that most podcasters don't
                know of yet; ways that you won't be able to learn about on a forum.
              • urbanskypodcast
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 21, 2008
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "writerpatrick" <writerpatrick@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "urbanskypodcast"
                  > urbanskypodcast@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Published my first podcast, 'Geeks and Geek Culture' on libsyn more
                  > > than a week ago.
                  > >
                  > > So far, just eight people have listened to it. Two of them are
                  > friends
                  > > of mine. No comments, but my friends did say (offline) they liked
                  > the
                  > > podcast. I was hoping for more listeners and more objective
                  > feedback.

                  <snip>

> [...]
                  > million downloads overall. Although the podcast subscribership has
                  > hardly grown above 50 in over a year. That just shows me that some
                  > people prefer certain ways to get their material. And it may be that
                  > people are getting away from using podcatchers. I know I find it
                  > easier to download directly than to go through iTunes.
                  >
                  > Remember that podcasting has become quite crowded over the past few
                  > years and you shouldn't expect things to go the same way for your
                  > that they did for someone who started out a few years ago. You have
                  > to work harder and constantly search for new and undeveloped
                  > outlets. (Even Mininova's getting filled, although there's still
                  > space.) That doesn't mean give up now, it just means that you need
                  > to find ways to promote and distribute that most podcasters don't
                  > know of yet; ways that you won't be able to learn about on a forum.

                  Thanks for your valuable advice, writerpatrick and thanks also go out to
                  everyone else who took the time to
                  respond to my query. Lots of good advice from everyone.

                  I guess I need a good dose of patience and a bit of time at this game
                  before I can hope to see any meaningful
                  results.

                  The good news is that I should have another podcast out late next week,
                  this one will provide a review of the
                  Zoom H2 Handy Recorder from Samson.

                  Cheers,

                  Steve

                  "What colour is the sky in your world? What colour is the urban sky?
                  It's not
                  a colour, it's a kaleidoscope of news, views, commentary, documentaries
                  and more..."

                  The Urban Sky Podcast

                  http://urbansky.libsyn.com/rss