RE: [podcasters] Podcast global statistics

  • Walt Snider
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2008
      I believe the largest audience I've heard of was 2.6 million on Buzz Out
      Loud (http://bol.cnet.com). I would assume USA is the largest producer and
      consumer of podcasts.

      I personally have 7 shows (www.KoreNewMedia.com for details) producing
      around 20 episodes (600-800 megs of content) per month and have about 1700
      unique listeners across all my shows per month. I live in Fort Lauderdale,
      Florida and most of my podcasts are consumed within American borders. I do
      have a few international listeners, but I estimate the number to be 3%.

      Please let me know if you'd like any more info.

      Walt Snider
      phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
      email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
      web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
      blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
      podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2008
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Prime Point Srinivasan"
        <prpoint@...> wrote:

        > hi
        >
        > I am making a presentation on podcasts in one of the Indian
        Universities.
        > Can any one help me with the podcast statistics at global level.
        How many
        > people are podcasting and likely listners for such podcasts.
        >
        > Which country is in the top for production of podcasts and
        listnership.

        The US, at least for English language. (China may also be a large
        producer, but those would be Chinese and likely invisible to those
        searching amongst the English speaking web.) Population size has a
        lot to do with it, but also many of the services are designed for
        the US. I have no idea what the per population leader would be.

        And even though I live in Canada, I use US servers (Internet
        Archive, Blogger and Feedburner) so it would appear that the podcast
        is coming from the US. Podcasts from many other countries could
        appear the same. (Especially Canada. There are many Canadian
        businesses using US servers and domains.) Because a podcast could be
        downloaded to or from foreign servers, it's extremely difficult to
        get accurate data.

        Surprisingly, I also get quite a few downloads from France, but I
        don't know if they're because of a server or proxy located in France
        that's being used by people outside France. It's possible that many
        Europeans are using a French ISP service. (I really don't know the
        European Internet layout, so it's just a guess.)

        It's also nearly impossible to work out exactly how many people are
        podcasting. Not everyone who podcasts uses the same systems. Many
        podcasts aren't even listed on iTunes. (Only one of mine is.) Many
        may have also done a podcast in the past but are no longer doing
        any. Many just let their podcast fade, so after a number of months
        it's uncertain if the podcast is still going or not. And many have
        done only a few episodes and given up. So any number you come up
        with has to be defined and is probably inaccurate anyways.

        Last I heard, iTunes was claiming over 100,000 but I've also heard
        that there's over a million podcasters. Although, if you cut it down
        to those producing seriously with a podcast a month or more that
        number drops. It also drops when you cut out those who have been at
        it less than a year and may be getting less than a hundred downloads
        per month.

        It's sort of like asking how many writers are in the world. On what
        scale do you measure? By those who have had books published? Short
        stories? Articles? Poems? Whether or not they were paid? Internet or
        print? So there's no way you could ever get relyable answers for
        those questions. And the numbers are changing all the time.

        If I had to give arbitrary numbers, based on what I've seen I would
        say 25% for the US (with possibly 10% of that from other countries
        like Canada), 5% for Canada, 5% for the UK, 5% for Australia and 60%
        for all other countries. But those are nothing more than guesswork
        and likely inaccurate. It's going to take more work than just asking
        a forum.

        > I read somewhere that Obama has also started using podcasts for his
        > campaign. To what extent, podcasts are playing a role in US Prez
        elections.

        There have been a few Obama podcasts listed amongst the top podcasts
        on Zune for a while, although I don't know how many are official.
        They did seem to get them added when Zune wasn't adding any other
        new podcasts.

        Of course there are many other reasons why podcast listeners would
        support a Democrat, so it's likely his podcast had little to no
        effect.