Re: Too many back episodes - what to do?

  • Arizona Jim
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
      As a podcaster coming close to 250 shows, my strategy has involved
      keeping about 25 shows in the main feed, while maintaining all the
      shows in the archive. There are reasons for this -- (1) I like to
      include chunky excerpts so that people can sample the conversational
      flavor, (2) practical bandwidth concerns, and (3) 25 new shows are
      generally available in a little over three months; so this prevents
      listeners from being inundated with new content, as one often is when
      automatically downloading shows through iTunes.

      Edward Champion
      THE BAT SEGUNDO SHOW
      www.batsegundo.com
    • Rick Savoia
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 8, 2008
        If I am not mistaken I believe the maximum file size of an RSS feed is
        512k. If your show notes are sparse you can list quite a few episodes.

        I found out how a large RSS feed can break your listing on iTunes and
        directories the hard way. A couple of months ago my feed broke and
        initially I couldn't figure out why. It wouldn't fail validation but
        RSS feed validator would hang up indefinitely when I attempted to
        validate my feed. The show stopped showing up in iTunes and some
        directories and although it did appear in others, the show wouldn't
        play.

        When I inspected the feed I discovered that my WYSIWYG editor in
        WordPress multiplied tags whenever I created a new post for the
        podcast. Generally, I cut and pasted from the previous episode and
        made changes to the show description, times and other details as
        necessary. Since the previous feed entry was bloated with tags, each
        successive cut and paste into the editor multiplied them even more,
        creating a snowball effect. This took the final RSS file to well over
        512k quickly.

        I had to go through the entire file and re-edit each entry, removing
        all of the unnecessary tags. After I did so, my RSS feed was accepted
        in iTunes again and my podcast began to function in the directories.

        This is one reason why it is important to validate your RSS feed every
        time you post a new episode and why it is important ot check the RSS
        feed regularly.

        Rick Savoia
        The Force Field podcast for IT service providers
        http://www.theforcefield.net

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mbritt1216" <michael.britt@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
        > all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
        > number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
        > reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
        > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back
        episodes?

        > Thoughts on this much appreciated
        >
        > Michael
        > www.thepsychfiles.com

      • George L Smyth
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 8, 2008
          I believe that Feedburner has a max of 512k, but I have found feeds on iTunes that are close to 2 Meg in size.

          The answer to this question really comes down to the type of show. If you have a news show or something that is timely, then a short RSS feed makes sense. Not many people are going to want to download news that is months old.

          OTOH, Eclectic Mix and One Minute How-To are not timely shows, and shows that are years old are just as valuable as the current ones. I am close to show #170 with the former, and shows that are over three years old still get 30-60 downloads per show per month - with One Minute How-To, each show about a year and a half old is averaging about 350 downloads per month.

          So if your old content is as valuable as today's content, then it is best to keep as much on the feed as possible, if your show is timely then it probably does not make much sense to do this.

          Cheers -

          george

          -------------------------------------
          Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
          Blog: http://GLSmyth.Wordpress.com

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 9, 2008
            Thanks for all the input on this. I took a look and my RSS files is
            about 158k, so it's not that big. My situation sounds like what
            George is describing - mine is not a news show, it's an educational
            show so the old episodes are still valuable and do still get hits, so
            I'll keep going until something breaks.

            By the way, I used to let Wordpress create my RSS file, then I decided
            to learn to code the file myself (which was a worthwhile learning
            experience). I used Dreamweaver for this. After a while it became
            tiresome so I now use a program called Feeder (Mac only) which makes
            the process really fast.

            Thanks everyone,

            Michael
            www.thepsychfiles.com

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

            > I believe that Feedburner has a max of 512k, but I have found feeds
            on iTunes that are close to 2 Meg in size.

            > The answer to this question really comes down to the type of show.
            If you have a news show or something that is timely, then a short RSS
            feed makes sense. Not many people are going to want to download news
            that is months old.

            > OTOH, Eclectic Mix and One Minute How-To are not timely shows, and
            shows that are years old are just as valuable as the current ones. I
            am close to show #170 with the former, and shows that are over three
            years old still get 30-60 downloads per show per month - with One
            Minute How-To, each show about a year and a half old is averaging
            about 350 downloads per month.

            > So if your old content is as valuable as today's content, then it is
            best to keep as much on the feed as possible, if your show is timely
            then it probably does not make much sense to do this.

            > Cheers -
            >
            > george
            >
            > -------------------------------------
            > Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
            > One Minute How-To: http://OneMinuteHowTo.com
            > DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvesting.org
            > Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com
            > Blog: http://GLSmyth.Wordpress.com

          • Andy Bilodeau
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
              He Folks,

              Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
              having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!

              Get 'em while there hot!

              For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
              devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
              eBay. ;-)

              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
              ASIN=B000VBH2IG

              Andy Bilodeau
              andycast.net
            • Dan Hughes
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
              • Paul Puri
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                  I see your $165.00, and counter with $159.00.

                  *http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg*

                  Paul Puri

                  My updates
                  http://www.paulpuri.name

                  My podcasting gear recommendations:
                  http://podsafegear.com
                  Chat: [image: Google Talk:] paulpuri [image: Skype:] unsignedpodcast
                  Contact Me: [image: Blogger] <http://paulpuri.blogspot.com>[image:
                  Twitter]<http://twitter.com/paulpuri>

                  --- @ WiseStamp Signature. <http://www.wisestamp.com> Get it
                  now<http://www.wisestamp.com>

                  On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                  > Or get it for $165 here:
                  >
                  > http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=olp_offerlisting_6?ie=UTF8&me=A334S037RVBVHO
                  >
                  > ---Dan

                • John McJunkin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                    If you guys can just keep this up all day, I think we'll be able to
                    get them for free by 5PM!

                    John F. McJunkin
                    Avalon Podcasting, LLC
                    877-MY-PODCAST
                    (877-697-6322)
                    480-219-8800 (in AZ)
                    866-401-2354 FAX
                    john@...
                    http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

                    On Oct 10, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Paul Puri wrote:

                    > I see your $165.00, and counter with $159.00.
                    >
                    > *http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg*
                    >
                    > Paul Puri
                    >
                    > My updates
                    > http://www.paulpuri.name
                    >
                    > My podcasting gear recommendations:
                    > http://podsafegear.com
                    > Chat: [image: Google Talk:] paulpuri [image: Skype:] unsignedpodcast
                    > Contact Me: [image: Blogger] <http://paulpuri.blogspot.com>[image:
                    > Twitter]<http://twitter.com/paulpuri>
                    >
                    > --- @ WiseStamp Signature. <http://www.wisestamp.com> Get it
                    > now<http://www.wisestamp.com>
                    >
                    > On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > Or get it for $165 here:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=olp_offerlisting_6?
                    > ie=UTF8&me=A334S037RVBVHO
                    > >
                    > > ---Dan

                  • Dan Hughes
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                      Paul says,

                      ------------------

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                        On Oct 10, 2008, at 11:37 AM, John McJunkin wrote:

                        > If you guys can just keep this up all day, I think we'll be able to
                        > get them for free by 5PM!
                        >
                        > John F. McJunkin
                        > Avalon Podcasting, LLC
                        > 877-MY-PODCAST
                        > (877-697-6322)
                        > 480-219-8800 (in AZ)
                        > 866-401-2354 FAX
                        > john@...
                        > http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

                        If we hold out until tomorrow morning, maybe we'll be paid to have
                        these things shipped to us...

                        Wow.. amazing deals... seriously considering picking up a second...
                        the make great impromptu USB Mics...and SD card readers!

                        :)

                        Andy Bilodeau
                        andycast.net
                      • Chris Kalaboukis
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                          I use this it rocks for my remote interviews.Highly recommended - snap
                          one up if dont have one yet!

                          thanks...chris
                          ----
                          chris future / host, thinkfuture radio & video shows -
                          http://thinkfuture.com <http://thinkfuture.com/>

                          ________________________________

                          I see your $165.00, and counter with $159.00.

                          *http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg* <http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg*>

                        • Karin Hoegh
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                            > He Folks,
                            >
                            > Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                            > having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                            >
                            > Get 'em while there hot!
                            >
                            > For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                            > devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                            > eBay. ;-)
                            >
                            > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                            > ASIN=B000VBH2IG
                            >
                            > Andy Bilodeau
                            > andycast.net

                            Argh - this offer is only in US they don´t ship to Europe - in
                            Amazon.co.uk the offer is still £129 - anybody coming to Europe - I
                            could use 10 for podcasting in classrooms...?
                          • Andy Bilodeau
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                              Karin,

                              Contact Paul Puri, I bet he could arrange something!

                              Oh Paul, a potential customer for you.

                              ;)

                              --
                              Andy Bilodeau (andycaster)
                              http://andycast.net
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                It was 10 Oct 2008, when Andy Bilodeau commented:

                                > He Folks,
                                >
                                > Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                                > having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                                >
                                > Get 'em while there hot!
                                >
                                > For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                                > devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                                > eBay. ;-)
                                >
                                > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                                > ASIN=B000VBH2IG

                                Great. I got one for $200 (for Christmas, not my money) when it had to be
                                pre-ordered. And it's already discontinued? Of course, if you can buy
                                one, it's -already- obsolete.

                                <sigh>

                                --

                                Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 11, 2008
                                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Rev. David Grizzly Smith"
                                  <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                                  > It was 10 Oct 2008, when Andy Bilodeau commented:
                                  >

                                  > > He Folks,
                                  > >
                                  > > Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                                  > > having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                                  > >
                                  > > Get 'em while there hot!
                                  > >
                                  > > For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                                  > > devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                                  > > eBay. ;-)
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                                  > > ASIN=B000VBH2IG
                                  >
                                  > Great. I got one for $200 (for Christmas, not my money) when it had
                                  to be
                                  > pre-ordered. And it's already discontinued? Of course, if you can buy
                                  > one, it's -already- obsolete.
                                  >
                                  > <sigh>
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                  > Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
                                  > <http://grizzly.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=story>
                                  > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                                  > Grizzly's Giving Page:
                                  > <http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/viewChallenge.html?id=1
                                  > 9180>

                                  I have a Zoom H2. Most of my first podcast was recorded on it. Can't
                                  beat the price and it's got an amazing number of features.

                                  The sound the H2 produces is good but it doesn't seem to give my voice
                                  much depth. I find I have to give it some 'oomph' by adding bass boost
                                  in post-production. Unfortunately the bass boost comes at the price of
                                  making the resulting audio sound a bit lifeless.

                                  Interestingly enough, you can connect the H2 directly to your computer
                                  to use it as a microphone. The sound is thinner using this method. I
                                  suspect that what the H2 does when hooked up directly, is that
                                  switches off its onboard circuitry.

                                  This is one reason why I'm considering getting a studio mic and mixer
                                  and just keeping the H2 as a field recording rig.