Re: [podcasters] Too many back episodes - what to do?

  • Steve Sergeant
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
      At 1:59 PM +0000 10/7/08, mbritt1216 wrote:
      >I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
      >all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
      >number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
      >reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
      > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back episodes?

      I imagine that most RSS feeds are being generated by a blogging
      platform of some kind, and every blogging platform I've seen lets you
      set how many of the most recent articles are in the feed.

      We've produced 160 weekly editions of our show, and we keep the last
      20 of them in our feed. In our case, this is a parameter we set in
      our blogging software.
      --
      -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      The WildeBeat "The audio journal about getting into the wilderness"
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
        On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:59 AM, mbritt1216
        <michael.britt@...>wrote:

        > I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
        > all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
        > number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
        > reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
        > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back episodes?
        >
        > Thoughts on this much appreciated
        >
        > Michael
        > www.thepsychfiles.com

        This topic has come before on this list. Some felt that it was good to have
        as many episodes available via RSS as possible. Others contend that having
        that much information in your RSS file could be problematic, as the file is
        constantly being accessed by aggregators looking for updates. The idea is
        this: A large RSS file that's constantly being hit by aggregators could
        cause a strain on your website's bandwidth, whereas a smaller file (with
        less episodes available) wouldn't. In general, RSS feeds carry only the
        most recent items. Regardless, my advice is, if you're not noticing any
        problems due to the size of your RSS file, then leave it as is. You'll
        probably get more downloads from your archives that way.

        --
        -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
        Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

        Shawnogram - Content = life.
        http://www.shawnogram.com/

      • Chris Moody
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
          If you have feedburner host the rss file, then you don't need to worry
          about the hits to your webserver.

          Chris

          Shawn Thorpe wrote:

          > On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:59 AM, mbritt1216
          > <michael.britt@...
          > <mailto:michael.britt%40thepsychfiles.com>>wrote:
          >
          > > I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
          > > all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
          > > number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
          > > reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
          > > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back episodes?
          > >
          > > Thoughts on this much appreciated
          > >
          > > Michael
          > > www.thepsychfiles.com
          > >

          > This topic has come before on this list. Some felt that it was good to
          > have
          > as many episodes available via RSS as possible. Others contend that having
          > that much information in your RSS file could be problematic, as the
          > file is
          > constantly being accessed by aggregators looking for updates. The idea is
          > this: A large RSS file that's constantly being hit by aggregators could
          > cause a strain on your website's bandwidth, whereas a smaller file (with
          > less episodes available) wouldn't. In general, RSS feeds carry only the
          > most recent items. Regardless, my advice is, if you're not noticing any
          > problems due to the size of your RSS file, then leave it as is. You'll
          > probably get more downloads from your archives that way.

        • Chris Kalaboukis
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
            Hi guys:

            I have 686 episodes in my feed and it seems to work fine for any
            podcatchers I've tested.

            thanks...chris
            ----
            chris future / host, thinkfuture radio & video shows -
            http://thinkfuture.com <http://thinkfuture.com/>

            ________________________________

            Shawn Thorpe wrote:

            > On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:59 AM, mbritt1216
            > <michael.britt@...
            <mailto:michael.britt%40thepsychfiles.com>
            > <mailto:michael.britt%40thepsychfiles.com>>wrote:
            >
            > > I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
            > > all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
            > > number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
            > > reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
            > > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back
            episodes?

            > > Thoughts on this much appreciated
            > >
            > > Michael
            > > www.thepsychfiles.com
            > >

            > This topic has come before on this list. Some felt that it was good to

            > have
            > as many episodes available via RSS as possible. Others contend that
            having
            > that much information in your RSS file could be problematic, as the
            > file is
            > constantly being accessed by aggregators looking for updates. The idea
            is
            > this: A large RSS file that's constantly being hit by aggregators
            could
            > cause a strain on your website's bandwidth, whereas a smaller file
            (with
            > less episodes available) wouldn't. In general, RSS feeds carry only
            the
            > most recent items. Regardless, my advice is, if you're not noticing
            any
            > problems due to the size of your RSS file, then leave it as is. You'll
            > probably get more downloads from your archives that way.

          • Arizona Jim
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
              As a podcaster coming close to 250 shows, my strategy has involved
              keeping about 25 shows in the main feed, while maintaining all the
              shows in the archive. There are reasons for this -- (1) I like to
              include chunky excerpts so that people can sample the conversational
              flavor, (2) practical bandwidth concerns, and (3) 25 new shows are
              generally available in a little over three months; so this prevents
              listeners from being inundated with new content, as one often is when
              automatically downloading shows through iTunes.

              Edward Champion
              THE BAT SEGUNDO SHOW
              www.batsegundo.com
            • Walt Snider
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
                Once I hit too many shows so that it creates a problem for RSS readers, I'll
                just let them drop out of my feed, but will make them available in packages
                of 10 from one of my webservers. I suppose if bandwidth becomes an issue, I
                can upload them to archive.org as well and let them handle the bandwidth and
                storage.

                Walt Snider
                phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
                email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
                web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
                blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
                podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 8, 2008
                  If I am not mistaken I believe the maximum file size of an RSS feed is
                  512k. If your show notes are sparse you can list quite a few episodes.

                  I found out how a large RSS feed can break your listing on iTunes and
                  directories the hard way. A couple of months ago my feed broke and
                  initially I couldn't figure out why. It wouldn't fail validation but
                  RSS feed validator would hang up indefinitely when I attempted to
                  validate my feed. The show stopped showing up in iTunes and some
                  directories and although it did appear in others, the show wouldn't
                  play.

                  When I inspected the feed I discovered that my WYSIWYG editor in
                  WordPress multiplied tags whenever I created a new post for the
                  podcast. Generally, I cut and pasted from the previous episode and
                  made changes to the show description, times and other details as
                  necessary. Since the previous feed entry was bloated with tags, each
                  successive cut and paste into the editor multiplied them even more,
                  creating a snowball effect. This took the final RSS file to well over
                  512k quickly.

                  I had to go through the entire file and re-edit each entry, removing
                  all of the unnecessary tags. After I did so, my RSS feed was accepted
                  in iTunes again and my podcast began to function in the directories.

                  This is one reason why it is important to validate your RSS feed every
                  time you post a new episode and why it is important ot check the RSS
                  feed regularly.

                  Rick Savoia
                  The Force Field podcast for IT service providers
                  http://www.theforcefield.net

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mbritt1216" <michael.britt@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
                  > all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
                  > number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
                  > reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
                  > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back
                  episodes?

                  > Thoughts on this much appreciated
                  >
                  > Michael
                  > www.thepsychfiles.com

                • George L Smyth
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 8, 2008
                    I believe that Feedburner has a max of 512k, but I have found feeds on iTunes that are close to 2 Meg in size.

                    The answer to this question really comes down to the type of show. If you have a news show or something that is timely, then a short RSS feed makes sense. Not many people are going to want to download news that is months old.

                    OTOH, Eclectic Mix and One Minute How-To are not timely shows, and shows that are years old are just as valuable as the current ones. I am close to show #170 with the former, and shows that are over three years old still get 30-60 downloads per show per month - with One Minute How-To, each show about a year and a half old is averaging about 350 downloads per month.

                    So if your old content is as valuable as today's content, then it is best to keep as much on the feed as possible, if your show is timely then it probably does not make much sense to do this.

                    Cheers -

                    george

                    -------------------------------------
                    Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                    Blog: http://GLSmyth.Wordpress.com

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 9, 2008
                      Thanks for all the input on this. I took a look and my RSS files is
                      about 158k, so it's not that big. My situation sounds like what
                      George is describing - mine is not a news show, it's an educational
                      show so the old episodes are still valuable and do still get hits, so
                      I'll keep going until something breaks.

                      By the way, I used to let Wordpress create my RSS file, then I decided
                      to learn to code the file myself (which was a worthwhile learning
                      experience). I used Dreamweaver for this. After a while it became
                      tiresome so I now use a program called Feeder (Mac only) which makes
                      the process really fast.

                      Thanks everyone,

                      Michael
                      www.thepsychfiles.com

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

                      > I believe that Feedburner has a max of 512k, but I have found feeds
                      on iTunes that are close to 2 Meg in size.

                      > The answer to this question really comes down to the type of show.
                      If you have a news show or something that is timely, then a short RSS
                      feed makes sense. Not many people are going to want to download news
                      that is months old.

                      > OTOH, Eclectic Mix and One Minute How-To are not timely shows, and
                      shows that are years old are just as valuable as the current ones. I
                      am close to show #170 with the former, and shows that are over three
                      years old still get 30-60 downloads per show per month - with One
                      Minute How-To, each show about a year and a half old is averaging
                      about 350 downloads per month.

                      > So if your old content is as valuable as today's content, then it is
                      best to keep as much on the feed as possible, if your show is timely
                      then it probably does not make much sense to do this.

                      > Cheers -
                      >
                      > george
                      >
                      > -------------------------------------
                      > Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                      > One Minute How-To: http://OneMinuteHowTo.com
                      > DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvesting.org
                      > Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com
                      > Blog: http://GLSmyth.Wordpress.com

                    • Andy Bilodeau
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                        He Folks,

                        Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                        having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!

                        Get 'em while there hot!

                        For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                        devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                        eBay. ;-)

                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                        ASIN=B000VBH2IG

                        Andy Bilodeau
                        andycast.net
                      • Dan Hughes
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                        • Paul Puri
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                            I see your $165.00, and counter with $159.00.

                            *http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg*

                            Paul Puri

                            My updates
                            http://www.paulpuri.name

                            My podcasting gear recommendations:
                            http://podsafegear.com
                            Chat: [image: Google Talk:] paulpuri [image: Skype:] unsignedpodcast
                            Contact Me: [image: Blogger] <http://paulpuri.blogspot.com>[image:
                            Twitter]<http://twitter.com/paulpuri>

                            --- @ WiseStamp Signature. <http://www.wisestamp.com> Get it
                            now<http://www.wisestamp.com>

                            On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                            > Or get it for $165 here:
                            >
                            > http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=olp_offerlisting_6?ie=UTF8&me=A334S037RVBVHO
                            >
                            > ---Dan

                          • John McJunkin
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                              If you guys can just keep this up all day, I think we'll be able to
                              get them for free by 5PM!

                              John F. McJunkin
                              Avalon Podcasting, LLC
                              877-MY-PODCAST
                              (877-697-6322)
                              480-219-8800 (in AZ)
                              866-401-2354 FAX
                              john@...
                              http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

                              On Oct 10, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Paul Puri wrote:

                              > I see your $165.00, and counter with $159.00.
                              >
                              > *http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg*
                              >
                              > Paul Puri
                              >
                              > My updates
                              > http://www.paulpuri.name
                              >
                              > My podcasting gear recommendations:
                              > http://podsafegear.com
                              > Chat: [image: Google Talk:] paulpuri [image: Skype:] unsignedpodcast
                              > Contact Me: [image: Blogger] <http://paulpuri.blogspot.com>[image:
                              > Twitter]<http://twitter.com/paulpuri>
                              >
                              > --- @ WiseStamp Signature. <http://www.wisestamp.com> Get it
                              > now<http://www.wisestamp.com>
                              >
                              > On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > Or get it for $165 here:
                              > >
                              > > http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=olp_offerlisting_6?
                              > ie=UTF8&me=A334S037RVBVHO
                              > >
                              > > ---Dan

                            • Dan Hughes
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                Paul says,

                                ------------------

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                  On Oct 10, 2008, at 11:37 AM, John McJunkin wrote:

                                  > If you guys can just keep this up all day, I think we'll be able to
                                  > get them for free by 5PM!
                                  >
                                  > John F. McJunkin
                                  > Avalon Podcasting, LLC
                                  > 877-MY-PODCAST
                                  > (877-697-6322)
                                  > 480-219-8800 (in AZ)
                                  > 866-401-2354 FAX
                                  > john@...
                                  > http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

                                  If we hold out until tomorrow morning, maybe we'll be paid to have
                                  these things shipped to us...

                                  Wow.. amazing deals... seriously considering picking up a second...
                                  the make great impromptu USB Mics...and SD card readers!

                                  :)

                                  Andy Bilodeau
                                  andycast.net
                                • Chris Kalaboukis
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                    I use this it rocks for my remote interviews.Highly recommended - snap
                                    one up if dont have one yet!

                                    thanks...chris
                                    ----
                                    chris future / host, thinkfuture radio & video shows -
                                    http://thinkfuture.com <http://thinkfuture.com/>

                                    ________________________________

                                    I see your $165.00, and counter with $159.00.

                                    *http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg* <http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg*>

                                  • Karin Hoegh
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                                      > He Folks,
                                      >
                                      > Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                                      > having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                                      >
                                      > Get 'em while there hot!
                                      >
                                      > For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                                      > devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                                      > eBay. ;-)
                                      >
                                      > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                                      > ASIN=B000VBH2IG
                                      >
                                      > Andy Bilodeau
                                      > andycast.net

                                      Argh - this offer is only in US they don´t ship to Europe - in
                                      Amazon.co.uk the offer is still £129 - anybody coming to Europe - I
                                      could use 10 for podcasting in classrooms...?
                                    • Andy Bilodeau
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                        Karin,

                                        Contact Paul Puri, I bet he could arrange something!

                                        Oh Paul, a potential customer for you.

                                        ;)

                                        On 10/10/08, Karin Hoegh <karin.hoegh@...> wrote:
                                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> He Folks,
                                        >>
                                        >> Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                                        >> having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                                        >>
                                        >> Get 'em while there hot!
                                        >>
                                        >> For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                                        >> devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                                        >> eBay. ;-)
                                        >>
                                        >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                                        >> ASIN=B000VBH2IG
                                        >>
                                        >> Andy Bilodeau
                                        >> andycast.net
                                        >>

                                        > Argh - this offer is only in US they don´t ship to Europe - in
                                        > Amazon.co.uk the offer is still £129 - anybody coming to Europe - I
                                        > could use 10 for podcasting in classrooms...?

                                        --
                                        Andy Bilodeau (andycaster)
                                        http://andycast.net
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                          It was 10 Oct 2008, when Andy Bilodeau commented:

                                          > He Folks,
                                          >
                                          > Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                                          > having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                                          >
                                          > Get 'em while there hot!
                                          >
                                          > For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                                          > devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                                          > eBay. ;-)
                                          >
                                          > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                                          > ASIN=B000VBH2IG

                                          Great. I got one for $200 (for Christmas, not my money) when it had to be
                                          pre-ordered. And it's already discontinued? Of course, if you can buy
                                          one, it's -already- obsolete.

                                          <sigh>

                                          --

                                          Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                          Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 11, 2008
                                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Rev. David Grizzly Smith"
                                            <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                                            > It was 10 Oct 2008, when Andy Bilodeau commented:
                                            >

                                            > > He Folks,
                                            > >
                                            > > Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                                            > > having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                                            > >
                                            > > Get 'em while there hot!
                                            > >
                                            > > For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                                            > > devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                                            > > eBay. ;-)
                                            > >
                                            > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                                            > > ASIN=B000VBH2IG
                                            >
                                            > Great. I got one for $200 (for Christmas, not my money) when it had
                                            to be
                                            > pre-ordered. And it's already discontinued? Of course, if you can buy
                                            > one, it's -already- obsolete.
                                            >
                                            > <sigh>
                                            >
                                            > --
                                            >
                                            > Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                            > Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
                                            > <http://grizzly.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=story>
                                            > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                                            > Grizzly's Giving Page:
                                            > <http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/viewChallenge.html?id=1
                                            > 9180>

                                            I have a Zoom H2. Most of my first podcast was recorded on it. Can't
                                            beat the price and it's got an amazing number of features.

                                            The sound the H2 produces is good but it doesn't seem to give my voice
                                            much depth. I find I have to give it some 'oomph' by adding bass boost
                                            in post-production. Unfortunately the bass boost comes at the price of
                                            making the resulting audio sound a bit lifeless.

                                            Interestingly enough, you can connect the H2 directly to your computer
                                            to use it as a microphone. The sound is thinner using this method. I
                                            suspect that what the H2 does when hooked up directly, is that
                                            switches off its onboard circuitry.

                                            This is one reason why I'm considering getting a studio mic and mixer
                                            and just keeping the H2 as a field recording rig.