Too many back episodes - what to do?

  • mbritt1216
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
      I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
      all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
      number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
      reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
      Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back episodes?

      Thoughts on this much appreciated

      Michael
      www.thepsychfiles.com
    • Jonathon_M_Johnson@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
        Hello Michael-

        I don't know the size of the rss, or even what the heck a rss is anyway; see how new I am to this field.

        But on a personal note...

        If the rss file is not being a problem, then definitely leave it alone.

        Depending upon what your podcast is about, is maybe when you might want to streamline it.

        But I was listening to Real Estate podcasts and I used the older ones to compare to the newer ones for strategy.

        Though every new subscriber is different, you can't please them all.

        So best bet would be to put what you got out there and as the saying goes, "...if you don't want to listen to it, then don't."

        The best advice for anyone that I have for you regarding having tons of podcasts, is to make sure that your file management is at its top of its game.

        Label all of your podcasts for what they are and don't ever use those default names. I.e. 38264512.wav or especially 1898%&#help7$%house*&@investing*(%sell.wav

        Hope this helps at least 1%.

        Cheers

        Jonathon M. Johnson
        Podcast listener - non-producing at the moment. :-)

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
          At 1:59 PM +0000 10/7/08, mbritt1216 wrote:
          >I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
          >all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
          >number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
          >reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
          > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back episodes?

          I imagine that most RSS feeds are being generated by a blogging
          platform of some kind, and every blogging platform I've seen lets you
          set how many of the most recent articles are in the feed.

          We've produced 160 weekly editions of our show, and we keep the last
          20 of them in our feed. In our case, this is a parameter we set in
          our blogging software.
          --
          -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          The WildeBeat "The audio journal about getting into the wilderness"
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
            On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:59 AM, mbritt1216
            <michael.britt@...>wrote:

            > I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
            > all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
            > number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
            > reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
            > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back episodes?
            >
            > Thoughts on this much appreciated
            >
            > Michael
            > www.thepsychfiles.com

            This topic has come before on this list. Some felt that it was good to have
            as many episodes available via RSS as possible. Others contend that having
            that much information in your RSS file could be problematic, as the file is
            constantly being accessed by aggregators looking for updates. The idea is
            this: A large RSS file that's constantly being hit by aggregators could
            cause a strain on your website's bandwidth, whereas a smaller file (with
            less episodes available) wouldn't. In general, RSS feeds carry only the
            most recent items. Regardless, my advice is, if you're not noticing any
            problems due to the size of your RSS file, then leave it as is. You'll
            probably get more downloads from your archives that way.

            --
            -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
            Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

            Shawnogram - Content = life.
            http://www.shawnogram.com/

          • Chris Moody
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
              If you have feedburner host the rss file, then you don't need to worry
              about the hits to your webserver.

              Chris

              Shawn Thorpe wrote:

              > On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:59 AM, mbritt1216
              > <michael.britt@...
              > <mailto:michael.britt%40thepsychfiles.com>>wrote:
              >
              > > I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
              > > all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
              > > number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
              > > reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
              > > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back episodes?
              > >
              > > Thoughts on this much appreciated
              > >
              > > Michael
              > > www.thepsychfiles.com
              > >

              > This topic has come before on this list. Some felt that it was good to
              > have
              > as many episodes available via RSS as possible. Others contend that having
              > that much information in your RSS file could be problematic, as the
              > file is
              > constantly being accessed by aggregators looking for updates. The idea is
              > this: A large RSS file that's constantly being hit by aggregators could
              > cause a strain on your website's bandwidth, whereas a smaller file (with
              > less episodes available) wouldn't. In general, RSS feeds carry only the
              > most recent items. Regardless, my advice is, if you're not noticing any
              > problems due to the size of your RSS file, then leave it as is. You'll
              > probably get more downloads from your archives that way.

            • Chris Kalaboukis
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
                Hi guys:

                I have 686 episodes in my feed and it seems to work fine for any
                podcatchers I've tested.

                thanks...chris
                ----
                chris future / host, thinkfuture radio & video shows -
                http://thinkfuture.com <http://thinkfuture.com/>

                ________________________________

                Shawn Thorpe wrote:

                > On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:59 AM, mbritt1216
                > <michael.britt@...
                <mailto:michael.britt%40thepsychfiles.com>
                > <mailto:michael.britt%40thepsychfiles.com>>wrote:
                >
                > > I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
                > > all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
                > > number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
                > > reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
                > > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back
                episodes?

                > > Thoughts on this much appreciated
                > >
                > > Michael
                > > www.thepsychfiles.com
                > >

                > This topic has come before on this list. Some felt that it was good to

                > have
                > as many episodes available via RSS as possible. Others contend that
                having
                > that much information in your RSS file could be problematic, as the
                > file is
                > constantly being accessed by aggregators looking for updates. The idea
                is
                > this: A large RSS file that's constantly being hit by aggregators
                could
                > cause a strain on your website's bandwidth, whereas a smaller file
                (with
                > less episodes available) wouldn't. In general, RSS feeds carry only
                the
                > most recent items. Regardless, my advice is, if you're not noticing
                any
                > problems due to the size of your RSS file, then leave it as is. You'll
                > probably get more downloads from your archives that way.

              • Arizona Jim
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
                  As a podcaster coming close to 250 shows, my strategy has involved
                  keeping about 25 shows in the main feed, while maintaining all the
                  shows in the archive. There are reasons for this -- (1) I like to
                  include chunky excerpts so that people can sample the conversational
                  flavor, (2) practical bandwidth concerns, and (3) 25 new shows are
                  generally available in a little over three months; so this prevents
                  listeners from being inundated with new content, as one often is when
                  automatically downloading shows through iTunes.

                  Edward Champion
                  THE BAT SEGUNDO SHOW
                  www.batsegundo.com
                • Walt Snider
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
                    Once I hit too many shows so that it creates a problem for RSS readers, I'll
                    just let them drop out of my feed, but will make them available in packages
                    of 10 from one of my webservers. I suppose if bandwidth becomes an issue, I
                    can upload them to archive.org as well and let them handle the bandwidth and
                    storage.

                    Walt Snider
                    phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
                    email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
                    web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
                    blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
                    podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 8, 2008
                      If I am not mistaken I believe the maximum file size of an RSS feed is
                      512k. If your show notes are sparse you can list quite a few episodes.

                      I found out how a large RSS feed can break your listing on iTunes and
                      directories the hard way. A couple of months ago my feed broke and
                      initially I couldn't figure out why. It wouldn't fail validation but
                      RSS feed validator would hang up indefinitely when I attempted to
                      validate my feed. The show stopped showing up in iTunes and some
                      directories and although it did appear in others, the show wouldn't
                      play.

                      When I inspected the feed I discovered that my WYSIWYG editor in
                      WordPress multiplied tags whenever I created a new post for the
                      podcast. Generally, I cut and pasted from the previous episode and
                      made changes to the show description, times and other details as
                      necessary. Since the previous feed entry was bloated with tags, each
                      successive cut and paste into the editor multiplied them even more,
                      creating a snowball effect. This took the final RSS file to well over
                      512k quickly.

                      I had to go through the entire file and re-edit each entry, removing
                      all of the unnecessary tags. After I did so, my RSS feed was accepted
                      in iTunes again and my podcast began to function in the directories.

                      This is one reason why it is important to validate your RSS feed every
                      time you post a new episode and why it is important ot check the RSS
                      feed regularly.

                      Rick Savoia
                      The Force Field podcast for IT service providers
                      http://www.theforcefield.net

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mbritt1216" <michael.britt@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I'm up to 73 episodes now and since they are all in my rss file they
                      > all appear on iTunes. I'm wondering if it's time to cut off the
                      > number of episodes in the rss file. I don't know - is there any
                      > reason to do this? Is there a limit on how big your rss file can be?
                      > Are potential new subscribers ever turned off by too many back
                      episodes?

                      > Thoughts on this much appreciated
                      >
                      > Michael
                      > www.thepsychfiles.com

                    • George L Smyth
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 8, 2008
                        I believe that Feedburner has a max of 512k, but I have found feeds on iTunes that are close to 2 Meg in size.

                        The answer to this question really comes down to the type of show. If you have a news show or something that is timely, then a short RSS feed makes sense. Not many people are going to want to download news that is months old.

                        OTOH, Eclectic Mix and One Minute How-To are not timely shows, and shows that are years old are just as valuable as the current ones. I am close to show #170 with the former, and shows that are over three years old still get 30-60 downloads per show per month - with One Minute How-To, each show about a year and a half old is averaging about 350 downloads per month.

                        So if your old content is as valuable as today's content, then it is best to keep as much on the feed as possible, if your show is timely then it probably does not make much sense to do this.

                        Cheers -

                        george

                        -------------------------------------
                        Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                        Blog: http://GLSmyth.Wordpress.com

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 9, 2008
                          Thanks for all the input on this. I took a look and my RSS files is
                          about 158k, so it's not that big. My situation sounds like what
                          George is describing - mine is not a news show, it's an educational
                          show so the old episodes are still valuable and do still get hits, so
                          I'll keep going until something breaks.

                          By the way, I used to let Wordpress create my RSS file, then I decided
                          to learn to code the file myself (which was a worthwhile learning
                          experience). I used Dreamweaver for this. After a while it became
                          tiresome so I now use a program called Feeder (Mac only) which makes
                          the process really fast.

                          Thanks everyone,

                          Michael
                          www.thepsychfiles.com

                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

                          > I believe that Feedburner has a max of 512k, but I have found feeds
                          on iTunes that are close to 2 Meg in size.

                          > The answer to this question really comes down to the type of show.
                          If you have a news show or something that is timely, then a short RSS
                          feed makes sense. Not many people are going to want to download news
                          that is months old.

                          > OTOH, Eclectic Mix and One Minute How-To are not timely shows, and
                          shows that are years old are just as valuable as the current ones. I
                          am close to show #170 with the former, and shows that are over three
                          years old still get 30-60 downloads per show per month - with One
                          Minute How-To, each show about a year and a half old is averaging
                          about 350 downloads per month.

                          > So if your old content is as valuable as today's content, then it is
                          best to keep as much on the feed as possible, if your show is timely
                          then it probably does not make much sense to do this.

                          > Cheers -
                          >
                          > george
                          >
                          > -------------------------------------
                          > Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                          > One Minute How-To: http://OneMinuteHowTo.com
                          > DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvesting.org
                          > Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com
                          > Blog: http://GLSmyth.Wordpress.com

                        • Andy Bilodeau
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                            He Folks,

                            Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                            having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!

                            Get 'em while there hot!

                            For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                            devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                            eBay. ;-)

                            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                            ASIN=B000VBH2IG

                            Andy Bilodeau
                            andycast.net
                          • Dan Hughes
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                            • Paul Puri
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                I see your $165.00, and counter with $159.00.

                                *http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg*

                                Paul Puri

                                My updates
                                http://www.paulpuri.name

                                My podcasting gear recommendations:
                                http://podsafegear.com
                                Chat: [image: Google Talk:] paulpuri [image: Skype:] unsignedpodcast
                                Contact Me: [image: Blogger] <http://paulpuri.blogspot.com>[image:
                                Twitter]<http://twitter.com/paulpuri>

                                --- @ WiseStamp Signature. <http://www.wisestamp.com> Get it
                                now<http://www.wisestamp.com>

                                On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                                > Or get it for $165 here:
                                >
                                > http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=olp_offerlisting_6?ie=UTF8&me=A334S037RVBVHO
                                >
                                > ---Dan

                              • John McJunkin
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                  If you guys can just keep this up all day, I think we'll be able to
                                  get them for free by 5PM!

                                  John F. McJunkin
                                  Avalon Podcasting, LLC
                                  877-MY-PODCAST
                                  (877-697-6322)
                                  480-219-8800 (in AZ)
                                  866-401-2354 FAX
                                  john@...
                                  http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

                                  On Oct 10, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Paul Puri wrote:

                                  > I see your $165.00, and counter with $159.00.
                                  >
                                  > *http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg*
                                  >
                                  > Paul Puri
                                  >
                                  > My updates
                                  > http://www.paulpuri.name
                                  >
                                  > My podcasting gear recommendations:
                                  > http://podsafegear.com
                                  > Chat: [image: Google Talk:] paulpuri [image: Skype:] unsignedpodcast
                                  > Contact Me: [image: Blogger] <http://paulpuri.blogspot.com>[image:
                                  > Twitter]<http://twitter.com/paulpuri>
                                  >
                                  > --- @ WiseStamp Signature. <http://www.wisestamp.com> Get it
                                  > now<http://www.wisestamp.com>
                                  >
                                  > On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Or get it for $165 here:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=olp_offerlisting_6?
                                  > ie=UTF8&me=A334S037RVBVHO
                                  > >
                                  > > ---Dan

                                • Dan Hughes
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                    Paul says,

                                    ------------------

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                      On Oct 10, 2008, at 11:37 AM, John McJunkin wrote:

                                      > If you guys can just keep this up all day, I think we'll be able to
                                      > get them for free by 5PM!
                                      >
                                      > John F. McJunkin
                                      > Avalon Podcasting, LLC
                                      > 877-MY-PODCAST
                                      > (877-697-6322)
                                      > 480-219-8800 (in AZ)
                                      > 866-401-2354 FAX
                                      > john@...
                                      > http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

                                      If we hold out until tomorrow morning, maybe we'll be paid to have
                                      these things shipped to us...

                                      Wow.. amazing deals... seriously considering picking up a second...
                                      the make great impromptu USB Mics...and SD card readers!

                                      :)

                                      Andy Bilodeau
                                      andycast.net
                                    • Chris Kalaboukis
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                        I use this it rocks for my remote interviews.Highly recommended - snap
                                        one up if dont have one yet!

                                        thanks...chris
                                        ----
                                        chris future / host, thinkfuture radio & video shows -
                                        http://thinkfuture.com <http://thinkfuture.com/>

                                        ________________________________

                                        I see your $165.00, and counter with $159.00.

                                        *http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg* <http://tinyurl.com/4g7pyg*>

                                      • Karin Hoegh
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

                                          > He Folks,
                                          >
                                          > Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                                          > having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                                          >
                                          > Get 'em while there hot!
                                          >
                                          > For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                                          > devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                                          > eBay. ;-)
                                          >
                                          > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                                          > ASIN=B000VBH2IG
                                          >
                                          > Andy Bilodeau
                                          > andycast.net

                                          Argh - this offer is only in US they don´t ship to Europe - in
                                          Amazon.co.uk the offer is still £129 - anybody coming to Europe - I
                                          could use 10 for podcasting in classrooms...?
                                        • Andy Bilodeau
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                            Karin,

                                            Contact Paul Puri, I bet he could arrange something!

                                            Oh Paul, a potential customer for you.

                                            ;)

                                            On 10/10/08, Karin Hoegh <karin.hoegh@...> wrote:
                                            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> He Folks,
                                            >>
                                            >> Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                                            >> having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                                            >>
                                            >> Get 'em while there hot!
                                            >>
                                            >> For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                                            >> devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                                            >> eBay. ;-)
                                            >>
                                            >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                                            >> ASIN=B000VBH2IG
                                            >>
                                            >> Andy Bilodeau
                                            >> andycast.net
                                            >>

                                            > Argh - this offer is only in US they don´t ship to Europe - in
                                            > Amazon.co.uk the offer is still £129 - anybody coming to Europe - I
                                            > could use 10 for podcasting in classrooms...?

                                            --
                                            Andy Bilodeau (andycaster)
                                            http://andycast.net
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 10, 2008
                                              It was 10 Oct 2008, when Andy Bilodeau commented:

                                              > He Folks,
                                              >
                                              > Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                                              > having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                                              >
                                              > Get 'em while there hot!
                                              >
                                              > For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                                              > devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                                              > eBay. ;-)
                                              >
                                              > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                                              > ASIN=B000VBH2IG

                                              Great. I got one for $200 (for Christmas, not my money) when it had to be
                                              pre-ordered. And it's already discontinued? Of course, if you can buy
                                              one, it's -already- obsolete.

                                              <sigh>

                                              --

                                              Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                              Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 11, 2008
                                                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Rev. David Grizzly Smith"
                                                <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                                                > It was 10 Oct 2008, when Andy Bilodeau commented:
                                                >

                                                > > He Folks,
                                                > >
                                                > > Anyone looking to add to their portable recording rig, Amazon is
                                                > > having a fire sale on the Zoom H2, $177.07!
                                                > >
                                                > > Get 'em while there hot!
                                                > >
                                                > > For the price, I think it's one of the best portable recording
                                                > > devices on the market... much better than the iRiver for $250 on
                                                > > eBay. ;-)
                                                > >
                                                > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_19010_10494790_pe_t10/?
                                                > > ASIN=B000VBH2IG
                                                >
                                                > Great. I got one for $200 (for Christmas, not my money) when it had
                                                to be
                                                > pre-ordered. And it's already discontinued? Of course, if you can buy
                                                > one, it's -already- obsolete.
                                                >
                                                > <sigh>
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                >
                                                > Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                                > Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
                                                > <http://grizzly.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=story>
                                                > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                                                > Grizzly's Giving Page:
                                                > <http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/viewChallenge.html?id=1
                                                > 9180>

                                                I have a Zoom H2. Most of my first podcast was recorded on it. Can't
                                                beat the price and it's got an amazing number of features.

                                                The sound the H2 produces is good but it doesn't seem to give my voice
                                                much depth. I find I have to give it some 'oomph' by adding bass boost
                                                in post-production. Unfortunately the bass boost comes at the price of
                                                making the resulting audio sound a bit lifeless.

                                                Interestingly enough, you can connect the H2 directly to your computer
                                                to use it as a microphone. The sound is thinner using this method. I
                                                suspect that what the H2 does when hooked up directly, is that
                                                switches off its onboard circuitry.

                                                This is one reason why I'm considering getting a studio mic and mixer
                                                and just keeping the H2 as a field recording rig.