[podcasters] Getting lots of listeners (was: My First Podcast...)

  • Nobilis
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
      On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM, urbanskypodcast
      <urbanskypodcast@...> wrote:
      >> want to distribute the podcast to as many listeners as possible.

      Here's a few steps to start with:

      1> Get your site set up, and start producing podcasts. Post them
      weekly, or even more often if you're ambitious. Listeners want to
      know that if they like your show, there will be more coming.

      2> Learn from your mistakes. Listen to every podcast you produce, on
      your mp3 player or in your car. When you hear something go wrong (and
      you will) make a note of it and resolve not to make that mistake
      again. Every show should be better and smoother than the one before.

      3> While you're posting your first few podcasts, get involved with
      your favorite podcasts. If they have a bulletin board set up, post
      there. If they want feedback, send it. Respond to what you hear and
      become an active member of the community of listeners. Make note of
      which of these podcasts play promos for other podcasts. Also, get
      involved in online communities related to your area of interest which
      are NOT podcast-focused. Put your podcast URL in your signature for
      all of these places.

      4> When you have ten weeks of podcasts up, make a promo. It needs to
      be engaging content all by itself; if the promo isn't interesting, it
      won't help you much. This will be a challenge. The degree to which
      you meet this challenge will determine the results of this campaign.

      5> Politely ask the podcasters with whom you have been cultivating
      this relationship over the past ten weeks to play your promo.
      Maintain the relationship with these podcasters even after they play
      the promo.

      6> Your show will evolve over time. Eventually your promo will seem
      stale. Make a new one that reflects your new level of skill and your
      changing style, and make it available.

      Good luck to you!

      -----
      "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
      in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
    • Jonathon_M_Johnson@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
        Hello Nobillis-

        I definitely agree with #1 for two reasons.

        1- Get our site up and start producing prodcasts. Though you might say that you have no idea what to do it on, that is not the concept sometimes; the concept is to get your feet wet so that your first podcast that took you several hours to put together will only take minutes when you know the ins and outs.

        2- Have hour site up and running with new stuff on a designated time or day. That way your consumer will know that on Sunday at 6:00pm will be the next episode of "Doctor Dill Invades the Lawns", that is what I believe will drive people back to your site over and over again.

        Cheers and Happy Airwaves.

        Jonathon M. Johnson
        Colorado

        From: Nobilis <authornobilis@...>
        > On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM, urbanskypodcast
        > <urbanskypodcast@...> wrote:
        > >> want to distribute the podcast to as many listeners as possible.
        >
        > Here's a few steps to start with:
        >
        > 1> Get your site set up, and start producing podcasts. Post them
        > weekly, or even more often if you're ambitious. Listeners want to
        > know that if they like your show, there will be more coming.
        >
        > 2> Learn from your mistakes. Listen to every podcast you produce, on
        > your mp3 player or in your car. When you hear something go wrong (and
        > you will) make a note of it and resolve not to make that mistake
        > again. Every show should be better and smoother than the one before.
        >
        > 3> While you're posting your first few podcasts, get involved with
        > your favorite podcasts. If they have a bulletin board set up, post
        > there. If they want feedback, send it. Respond to what you hear and
        > become an active member of the community of listeners. Make note of
        > which of these podcasts play promos for other podcasts. Also, get
        > involved in online communities related to your area of interest which
        > are NOT podcast-focused. Put your podcast URL in your signature for
        > all of these places.
        >
        > 4> When you have ten weeks of podcasts up, make a promo. It needs to
        > be engaging content all by itself; if the promo isn't interesting, it
        > won't help you much. This will be a challenge. The degree to which
        > you meet this challenge will determine the results of this campaign.
        >
        > 5> Politely ask the podcasters with whom you have been cultivating
        > this relationship over the past ten weeks to play your promo.
        > Maintain the relationship with these podcasters even after they play
        > the promo.
        >
        > 6> Your show will evolve over time. Eventually your promo will seem
        > stale. Make a new one that reflects your new level of skill and your
        > changing style, and make it available.
        >
        > Good luck to you!
        >
        > --
        > Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
        > Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
        > -----
        > "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
        > in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662

      • Arizona Jim
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
          One other thing that should be pointed out: There isn't a
          Black-Scholes-like formula ensuring that your big names will get a lot
          of listeners. One of the most popular installments of The Bat Segundo
          Show was the first interview I conducted with Lydia Millet. Because
          the book we were talking about dealt with Hiroshima, somebody in Japan
          found the site, and the show was linked around the world, getting
          somewhere in the area of 50,000 listens. Which is considerably more
          than other people I've had on the show.

          The best way of attracting an audience is to simply produce good
          content and to produce it often. Don't worry about your audience. Be
          yourself and have fun. People who appreciate what you do will come
          eventually and you'll get much better doing this as you go along.

          Edward Champion
          THE BAT SEGUNDO SHOW
          www.batsegundo.com
        • George L Smyth
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2008
            > On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM, urbanskypodcast
            > <urbanskypodcast@...> wrote:
            > >> want to distribute the podcast to as many
            > listeners as possible.
            >
            > Here's a few steps to start with:
            >
            > 1> Get your site set up, and start producing podcasts.
            > Post them
            > weekly, or even more often if you're ambitious.
            > Listeners want to
            > know that if they like your show, there will be more
            > coming.
            >
            > 2> Learn from your mistakes. Listen to every podcast you
            > produce, on
            > your mp3 player or in your car. When you hear something go
            > wrong (and
            > you will) make a note of it and resolve not to make that
            > mistake
            > again. Every show should be better and smoother than the
            > one before.

            Better yet, listen to your show before making it live. This gives you a chance to correct the problems before anyone else hears them. I recently heard a show where the last ten minutes was silence. I'm not sure what happened, but I have had the experience where I have moved files between processing in Audacity and making the mp3, and the program simply left out portions of the show. Had I not listened before making it live, I would have been rather embarrassed to have allowed anyone hear this horrid flub.

            Cheers -

            george

            Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
            Blog: http://GLSmyth.Wordpress.com