Re: [podcasters] My First Podcast...

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2008
      On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM, urbanskypodcast
      <urbanskypodcast@...> wrote:
      > It's ready to go, I just need to figure out how to add RSS tags to it
      > and distribute it.
      >
      > Any recommendations as to which site I should upload my podcast to? I
      > want to distribute the podcast to as many listeners as possible.

      If you want to make life easy on yourself, $5 a month at Libsyn will
      get you very easy uploading, an RSS feed, easy iTunes tagging,
      unlimited bandwidth, and a plain but no-hassle Web site. There are
      ways to do it flashier, but they require more learning. There are
      ways to do it cheaper (i.e. free), but they have more gotchas.
      (Disclaimer: I have a commercial relationship with Libsyn. But I was
      recommending them for novices even when I wasn't using them myself.)

      Note, however, that in terms of getting it to "as many listeners as
      possible," putting it up someplace where they can download it is only
      the first part of the challenge. Marketing your podcast is *your*
      problem, no hosting site will give you much help with it, and don't
      expect fast results. Success will be more about you and the work you
      put into it than where you upload.

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Rev. David Grizzly Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2008
        It was 5 Oct 2008, when Stephen Eley commented:

        > On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM, urbanskypodcast
        > <urbanskypodcast@...> wrote:
        > > It's ready to go, I just need to figure out how to add RSS tags to it and
        > > distribute it.
        > >
        > > Any recommendations as to which site I should upload my podcast to? I
        > > want to distribute the podcast to as many listeners as possible.
        >
        > If you want to make life easy on yourself, $5 a month at Libsyn will
        > get you very easy uploading, an RSS feed, easy iTunes tagging,
        > unlimited bandwidth, and a plain but no-hassle Web site. There are
        > ways to do it flashier, but they require more learning. There are
        > ways to do it cheaper (i.e. free), but they have more gotchas.
        > (Disclaimer: I have a commercial relationship with Libsyn. But I was
        > recommending them for novices even when I wasn't using them myself.)
        >
        > Note, however, that in terms of getting it to "as many listeners as
        > possible," putting it up someplace where they can download it is only
        > the first part of the challenge. Marketing your podcast is *your*
        > problem, no hosting site will give you much help with it, and don't
        > expect fast results. Success will be more about you and the work you
        > put into it than where you upload.

        Steve is right about capacity (with only a couple problems lately, due to
        a typo on a filename on my part), as far as Libsyn is concerned. Libsyn
        is the simplest way I know of if your intent is to produce and distribute
        a Podcast, and anything else is secondary.

        There are several mechanisms (requiring more tinkering) to host a podcast
        AND have a clever-looking blog to link to your podcasts, and I could AND
        you several other ANDs. But to Just Get A Podcast Out and keep it going
        out, Libsyn is excellent. As Steve said, the rest is "up to you." Some
        folks here can give you some ideas as to what You ought to be Up To.

        Steve has some excellent ideas in that regard, and I think someday soon
        Steve may actually have a reasonably successful podcast. ;-)

        Even I can, though I have a small audience. My core audience just keeps
        listening. They don't know why. I suppose the ethical thing would be to
        stop using the subliminal audio messages. But hey, it's just a hobby.
        It's not like I've put in subliminal messages to tell them to promote the
        podcast for me, and or send me money.

        Yet.

        --

        Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>