Background Music

  • James Wadsworth
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hey Everyone,

      I'm about to move into video with my podcast and I am very excited
      about this. But there is one thing that I'm not sure about: background
      music. I've recently been watching the Zune Insider podcast and they
      play a background track during the video. I want to do the same but I
      don't have any music that I could use.

      Do any of you know of the best way to find background tracks for this
      purpose? I've tried the Podsafe Music network but I have trouble
      searching and finding tracks. Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      ~James Wadsworth

      --
      LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast
      http://radio.laml.org/
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
        Hi James,

        Do you know what kind of music you want to have in the background?

        Chris

        James Wadsworth wrote:

        > Hey Everyone,
        >
        > I'm about to move into video with my podcast and I am very excited
        > about this. But there is one thing that I'm not sure about: background
        > music. I've recently been watching the Zune Insider podcast and they
        > play a background track during the video. I want to do the same but I
        > don't have any music that I could use.
        >
        > Do any of you know of the best way to find background tracks for this
        > purpose? I've tried the Podsafe Music network but I have trouble
        > searching and finding tracks. Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > ~James Wadsworth
        >
        > --
        > LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast
        > http://radio.laml.org/ <http://radio.laml.org/>

      • James Wadsworth
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
          Chris,

          Nothing definite, just something that will help to combat the
          background noise and that won't be intrusive. Really what I need is a
          place to start looking.

          Thanks,
          ~James Wadsworth

          > Hi James,
          >
          > Do you know what kind of music you want to have in the background?
          >
          > Chris

        • Katronix Serf
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
            James,

            Well music.podshow.com is certainly a good place to start, if you have
            an idea of what your looking for.

            There are of course other places as well, but I've found podshow's to be
            the best overall

            Chris

            James Wadsworth wrote:

            > Chris,
            >
            > Nothing definite, just something that will help to combat the
            > background noise and that won't be intrusive. Really what I need is a
            > place to start looking.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > ~James Wadsworth
            >

            > > Hi James,
            > >
            > > Do you know what kind of music you want to have in the background?
            > >
            > > Chris

          • Cian Mac Mahon
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
              Or if you are looking for some royalty free music, check out
              DigitalJuice.com and their stacktraxx library. Tee Morris introduced
              me to them a year and a half ago, and I will never go back. At the
              moment, you get 10 of the album/DVDs/whatever you call them for $150. http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/product_volumes.asp?pvid=8

              Oh, and no, I don't have anything to do with digital juice. I just
              love it.
              Cian Mac Mahon
              Professional Podcaster
              Available for voice work, consulting

              www.viewfromthequad.com
              www.StartingWoW.com
            • Shawn Thorpe
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
                On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:30 AM, James Wadsworth <goleafsgo_james@...
                > wrote:

                > Hey Everyone,
                >
                > I'm about to move into video with my podcast and I am very excited
                > about this. But there is one thing that I'm not sure about: background
                > music. I've recently been watching the Zune Insider podcast and they
                > play a background track during the video. I want to do the same but I
                > don't have any music that I could use.
                >
                > Do any of you know of the best way to find background tracks for this
                > purpose? I've tried the Podsafe Music network but I have trouble
                > searching and finding tracks. Any ideas?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > ~James Wadsworth
                >
                > --
                > LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast
                > http://radio.laml.org/
                >

                > .

                Along with the Podsafe Music Network, sites like IODA Promonet and Jamendo
                have plenty of music available to podcasters. Beyond that, if you find an
                independent artist via sites like MySpace or garageband.com, and you like
                that artist's music, send 'em a message and ask for permission. Most will
                be happy to let you use their music, as long as you give them proper credit.

                And if you're a Mac user, all of the loops/music beds in Garageband are
                royalty free.

                --
                -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
                Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

                Shawnogram - Content = life.
                http://www.shawnogram.com/

              • Nobilis
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
                  On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...> wrote:
                  > Or if you are looking for some royalty free music, check out
                  > DigitalJuice.com and their stacktraxx library. Tee Morris introduced
                  > me to them a year and a half ago, and I will never go back. At the
                  > moment, you get 10 of the album/DVDs/whatever you call them for $150. http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/product_volumes.asp?pvid=8

                  Just make sure you have a fairly beefy machine for it. My 2Ghz
                  machine has some serious trouble with StackTraxx.

                  -----
                  "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
                  in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
                • Erk Pod
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
                    On the PMN site, go straight for the advanced search.

                    Erk

                    On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 12:30 AM, James Wadsworth <
                    goleafsgo_james@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Everyone,
                    >
                    > I'm about to move into video with my podcast and I am very excited
                    > about this. But there is one thing that I'm not sure about: background
                    > music. I've recently been watching the Zune Insider podcast and they
                    > play a background track during the video. I want to do the same but I
                    > don't have any music that I could use.
                    >
                    > Do any of you know of the best way to find background tracks for this
                    > purpose? I've tried the Podsafe Music network but I have trouble
                    > searching and finding tracks. Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > ~James Wadsworth

                  • Walt Snider
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 3, 2008
                      Cian,

                      Could you provide a couple links to shows you produced using the Digital
                      Juice content?

                      Walt Snider
                      phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
                      email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
                      web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
                      blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
                      podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 3, 2008
                        James,

                        I'm new to the group and generally lurk for a few weeks before getting in
                        discussions, but I'd hate to not mention a great site for music:

                        www.Magnatune.com

                        You can license music as a podcaster and they hand it to you in 128 format
                        with no account or anything, or you can drop (I think it's) $45 for 3 months
                        of downloading the top quality versions of stuff (VBR mp3's, AIFF, FLAC,
                        etc.). There are more than 8,000 tracks of all sorts there and they have a
                        variety of stuff like you'd expect anywhere else, with an emphasis on
                        downbeat, but they have some heavy metal, techno and rock, too.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 3, 2008
                            From: "Cian Mac Mahon"

                            > Or if you are looking for some royalty free music, check out
                            > DigitalJuice.com and their stacktraxx library. Tee Morris introduced
                            > me to them a year and a half ago, and I will never go back. At the
                            > moment, you get 10 of the album/DVDs/whatever you call them for $150.

                            I also love, and use, Digital Juice ... but I'm also into video production
                            so that means much more of their product line is on my "want list" :-)

                            Currently I own 19 volumes of the StackTraxx line .. both (now discontinued)
                            BackTraxx 1, and 2 ... and their excellent sound effects volumes SoundFX2,
                            and 3 (I'll get volume 1 one of these days) By the way each of these
                            sound effects volumes has aprox 10,000 sound effects each.

                            One important thing about Digital Juice .. unless you need it NOW (and you
                            have the $$$ to pay for it) NEVER buy anything from Digital Juice until it
                            is on sale .. and if you wait .. most *everything* will eventually end up on
                            sale. I have *never* purchased anything from them at "retail" but, still,
                            I've spend over one thousand dollars there.

                            Richard Amirault
                            Boston, MA, USA
                            http://n1jdu.org
                            http://bostonfandom.org
                          • thxdave
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 3, 2008
                              James, I'm in somewhat the same situation as you. I need to get some
                              video production music for projects I'm working on and a fellow video
                              buddy of mine pointed me to this software:

                              http://www.smartsound.com/

                              He's been using it for a while and, from what he's told me, the cool
                              thing about this is that you can create your own mixes (pull out parts
                              you don't want, fade instruments in or out, etc.) and tailor the music
                              to your project. Again, I haven't bought this yet but it is also based
                              on the model of buying the disks you need and the "basic" software
                              mixer is free. The premium version with all the controls is $149, IIRC.

                              dave

                              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "James Wadsworth"
                              <goleafsgo_james@...> wrote:

                              > Hey Everyone,
                              >
                              > I'm about to move into video with my podcast and I am very excited
                              > about this. But there is one thing that I'm not sure about: background
                              > music. I've recently been watching the Zune Insider podcast and they
                              > play a background track during the video. I want to do the same but I
                              > don't have any music that I could use.
                              >
                              > Do any of you know of the best way to find background tracks for this
                              > purpose? I've tried the Podsafe Music network but I have trouble
                              > searching and finding tracks. Any ideas?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > ~James Wadsworth
                              >
                              > --
                              > LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast
                              > http://radio.laml.org/

                            • Cian Mac Mahon
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 3, 2008
                                Well, the intro and all music within my Starting WoW show use DJ.
                                check www.StartingWoW.com for that. I also used DJ for the Penn and
                                Teller skit in VFTQ at http://www.viewfromthequad.com/2008/09/06/vftq-116-horsest-explicit
                                . It is about half way into the show.

                                Cian
                                Cian Mac Mahon
                                Professional Podcaster
                                Available for voice work, consulting

                                www.viewfromthequad.com
                                www.StartingWoW.com
                              • Stephen Nelson
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 3, 2008
                                  I've used Magnatune twice for theme songs. Non-commercial songs are
                                  free, commercial licenses are reasonable.

                                  http://magnatune.com/

                                  thxdave wrote:
                                  > James, I'm in somewhat the same situation as you. I need to get some
                                  > video production music for projects I'm working on and a fellow video
                                  > buddy of mine pointed me to this software:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.smartsound.com/
                                  >
                                  > He's been using it for a while and, from what he's told me, the cool
                                  > thing about this is that you can create your own mixes (pull out parts
                                  > you don't want, fade instruments in or out, etc.) and tailor the music
                                  > to your project. Again, I haven't bought this yet but it is also based
                                  > on the model of buying the disks you need and the "basic" software
                                  > mixer is free. The premium version with all the controls is $149, IIRC.
                                  >
                                  > dave
                                  >

                                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "James Wadsworth"
                                  > <goleafsgo_james@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Hey Everyone,
                                  >>
                                  >> I'm about to move into video with my podcast and I am very excited
                                  >> about this. But there is one thing that I'm not sure about: background
                                  >> music. I've recently been watching the Zune Insider podcast and they
                                  >> play a background track during the video. I want to do the same but I
                                  >> don't have any music that I could use.
                                  >>
                                  >> Do any of you know of the best way to find background tracks for this
                                  >> purpose? I've tried the Podsafe Music network but I have trouble
                                  >> searching and finding tracks. Any ideas?
                                  >>
                                  >> Thanks,
                                  >> ~James Wadsworth
                                  >>
                                  >> --
                                  >> LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast
                                  >> http://radio.laml.org/

                                • Rev. David Grizzly Smith
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 3, 2008
                                    It was 2 Oct 2008, when James Wadsworth commented:

                                    > Hey Everyone,
                                    >
                                    > I'm about to move into video with my podcast and I am very excited
                                    > about this. But there is one thing that I'm not sure about: background
                                    > music. I've recently been watching the Zune Insider podcast and they play a
                                    > background track during the video. I want to do the same but I don't have
                                    > any music that I could use.
                                    >
                                    > Do any of you know of the best way to find background tracks for this
                                    > purpose? I've tried the Podsafe Music network but I have trouble
                                    > searching and finding tracks. Any ideas?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > ~James Wadsworth

                                    For general-purpose music you can use for most stuff, without the music
                                    overwhelming what you have to say, try Kevin MacLeod's music from
                                    http://www.incompetech.com Not brilliant, but you don't want brilliant
                                    music, you want good music that doesn't interfere with your message.

                                    Kevin's good on that.

                                    Hope that helps.

                                    --

                                    Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>