Re: [podcasters] Phoenix Event Announcement: Startup Weekend Coming to Phoenix October 17-19th, 2

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
      Startup Weekend sounds like a great concept, and with nearly thirty
      events scheduled or already done, apparently Startup Weekend LLC has a
      business model they're satisfied will succeed. However, this is no
      free podcamp-style event, where everyone attending pitches in and
      helps run the event -- tickets are $40.00 per person. Local
      sponsorship has brought in about three grand, if I've done my math
      correctly, and that doesn't count the national sponsors (national
      sponsorship amounts are not disclosed anywhere I could see.)

      On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM, gregg.drennan <gregg.drennan@...> wrote:
      > Anyone working in this capacity
      > will receive full recognition for all content produced. And perhaps
      > some additional perks…

      That sounds like "please come do three days of intense work for free
      -- we'll give you credit on our web site." That's not too far from
      the kind of thinking often encountered in the music business: "Come
      play for three hours at my club. I'll sell more drinks and get more
      people to come in, and you'll get "exposure."

      The idea that creative people don't need to be paid just the same as
      anyone else who provides a service really irritates me.
      Unfortunately, the practice will continue so long as artists think
      they don't deserve better.

      Correct me if I'm wrong. Does Startup Weekend pay for services
      rendered? If the media people you're looking for *are* working for
      free, are you at least putting up their lodging, travel expense, and
      food?

      Thanks,

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Author, Podcaster
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
        Hi Matthew,

        I understand what you are saying about not getting paid for services
        rendered but in this case, all monies are paid by the sponsors to
        StartupWeekend LLC and not the local organizers for the weekend.

        They use the funds from those sponsorships to reimburse the local
        organizers for expenditures for things like food and beverages for all of
        the participants for the whole weekend. We also get reimbursed for any
        costs for the facility and items needed to make the weekend a success
        (even the basics that you don't think of like toilet paper and toilet seat
        covers for 100 people for 3 days!).

        Any money that is left over from one StartupWeekend is used to seed the
        next weekend and/or to offset any shortage a weekend may encounter due to
        low sponsorships.

        When everything is said and done, everyone working on or at the Startup
        Weekend in Phoenix is doing it on a volunteer basis including the
        organizers who have been working on this for over three months.

        For the media people, most of the hobbyists I personally know who are into
        photography, videography, podcasting, etc. do this kind of stuff for fun
        and the opportunity to network with other people of the same interests.
        Were anybody getting paid for doing this I'd say "Heck yea, hire the
        professionals and pay them" but that just isn't an option for this
        volunteer produced event.

        In case your interested, the reason I've spent hundreds of hours
        organizing this event since June is because I was lucky enough to attend
        the Startup Weekend in Columbus, OH back in May and was so jazzed when I
        left there I wanted to make sure that everyone in my home town of Phoenix
        had the opportunity to experience a Startup Weekend themselves and to get
        that "jazzed" feeling like I did.

        Thanks for the comments and hopefully now you hare a better understanding
        of why we are looking for volunteers.

        Gregg Drennan
        Phoenix.StartupWeekend.com

        P Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.
        Spread environmental awareness.

        "Matthew Wayne Selznick" <mwselznick@...>
        Sent by: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
        10/01/2008 07:43 AM
        Please respond to
        podcasters@yahoogroups.com

        podcasters@yahoogroups.com
        cc

        Subject

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
          On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:34 AM, <gregg.drennan@...> wrote:
          > I understand what you are saying about not getting paid for services
          > rendered but in this case, all monies are paid by the sponsors to
          > StartupWeekend LLC and not the local organizers for the weekend.
          >
          > They use the funds from those sponsorships to reimburse the local organizers
          > for expenditures for things like food and beverages for all of the
          > participants for the whole weekend. We also get reimbursed for any costs
          > for the facility and items needed to make the weekend a success (even the
          > basics that you don't think of like toilet paper and toilet seat covers for
          > 100 people for 3 days!).

          Fair enough.

          > For the media people, most of the hobbyists I personally know who are into
          > photography, videography, podcasting, etc. do this kind of stuff for fun and
          > the opportunity to network with other people of the same interests.

          There *is* value in networking, to be sure.

          > In case your interested, the reason I've spent hundreds of hours organizing
          > this event since June is because I was lucky enough to attend the Startup
          > Weekend in Columbus, OH back in May and was so jazzed when I left there I
          > wanted to make sure that everyone in my home town of Phoenix had the
          > opportunity to experience a Startup Weekend themselves and to get that
          > "jazzed" feeling like I did.

          I hear ya.

          > Thanks for the comments and hopefully now you hare a better understanding of
          > why we are looking for volunteers.

          Thanks for clarifying -- I really appreciate your putting everything
          on the table, embracing openness and all that. Best of luck with the
          event!

          --
          Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Author, Podcaster