Phoenix Event Announcement: Startup Weekend Coming to Phoenix October 17-19th, 2

  • gregg.drennan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2008
      Do you have an idea for a new company or just something you think
      will make money or provide a service to the community, but don't
      have all the knowledge (e.g. legal, financial, web or product
      development, marketing, etc.), resources or money to make it happen,
      Startup Weekend may be just what you need.

      Startup Weekend is a national organization which sponsors startup
      weekends across the country. Startup Weekend has been featured on
      MSNBC and FOX News and numerous local radio, TV stations and
      newspapers across the country.

      A "startup weekend" is an intense three days that brings people of
      diverse backgrounds together to execute startup ideas and build
      companies from scratch in 52 hours!

      What kinds of participants are needed? People from every business
      discipline that would normally be involved in the startup of a
      company. Just to mention a few: lawyers, accountants, business
      development, marketing and advertising , product development,
      photographers, video and audio people, graphic designers, web, user
      experience and UI developers, … you name it we need you.

      To see some of the ideas that other people have already suggested
      for the upcoming weekend visit swphoenix.uservoice.com

      In two weeks (October 17-19th, 2008) Phoenix will host its first
      Startup Weekend at the Gangplank offices in Chandler. Don't miss
      out on this opportunity to bring your ideas to life.

      Visit phoenix.startupweekend.com for more information and to sign up.

      WE ARE ALSO LOOKING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS, VIDEOGRAPHERS and PODCASTERS
      to be in charge of, man the media area and produce our media and
      social media coverage of the event. Anyone working in this capacity
      will receive full recognition for all content produced. And perhaps
      some additional perks… If you are interested in helping out with
      the media side of things please give Gregg Drennan a call at 602-570-
      3422.
    • Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
        Startup Weekend sounds like a great concept, and with nearly thirty
        events scheduled or already done, apparently Startup Weekend LLC has a
        business model they're satisfied will succeed. However, this is no
        free podcamp-style event, where everyone attending pitches in and
        helps run the event -- tickets are $40.00 per person. Local
        sponsorship has brought in about three grand, if I've done my math
        correctly, and that doesn't count the national sponsors (national
        sponsorship amounts are not disclosed anywhere I could see.)

        On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM, gregg.drennan <gregg.drennan@...> wrote:
        > Anyone working in this capacity
        > will receive full recognition for all content produced. And perhaps
        > some additional perks…

        That sounds like "please come do three days of intense work for free
        -- we'll give you credit on our web site." That's not too far from
        the kind of thinking often encountered in the music business: "Come
        play for three hours at my club. I'll sell more drinks and get more
        people to come in, and you'll get "exposure."

        The idea that creative people don't need to be paid just the same as
        anyone else who provides a service really irritates me.
        Unfortunately, the practice will continue so long as artists think
        they don't deserve better.

        Correct me if I'm wrong. Does Startup Weekend pay for services
        rendered? If the media people you're looking for *are* working for
        free, are you at least putting up their lodging, travel expense, and
        food?

        Thanks,

        --
        Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Author, Podcaster
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
          Hi Matthew,

          I understand what you are saying about not getting paid for services
          rendered but in this case, all monies are paid by the sponsors to
          StartupWeekend LLC and not the local organizers for the weekend.

          They use the funds from those sponsorships to reimburse the local
          organizers for expenditures for things like food and beverages for all of
          the participants for the whole weekend. We also get reimbursed for any
          costs for the facility and items needed to make the weekend a success
          (even the basics that you don't think of like toilet paper and toilet seat
          covers for 100 people for 3 days!).

          Any money that is left over from one StartupWeekend is used to seed the
          next weekend and/or to offset any shortage a weekend may encounter due to
          low sponsorships.

          When everything is said and done, everyone working on or at the Startup
          Weekend in Phoenix is doing it on a volunteer basis including the
          organizers who have been working on this for over three months.

          For the media people, most of the hobbyists I personally know who are into
          photography, videography, podcasting, etc. do this kind of stuff for fun
          and the opportunity to network with other people of the same interests.
          Were anybody getting paid for doing this I'd say "Heck yea, hire the
          professionals and pay them" but that just isn't an option for this
          volunteer produced event.

          In case your interested, the reason I've spent hundreds of hours
          organizing this event since June is because I was lucky enough to attend
          the Startup Weekend in Columbus, OH back in May and was so jazzed when I
          left there I wanted to make sure that everyone in my home town of Phoenix
          had the opportunity to experience a Startup Weekend themselves and to get
          that "jazzed" feeling like I did.

          Thanks for the comments and hopefully now you hare a better understanding
          of why we are looking for volunteers.

          Gregg Drennan
          Phoenix.StartupWeekend.com

          P Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.
          Spread environmental awareness.

          "Matthew Wayne Selznick" <mwselznick@...>
          Sent by: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
          10/01/2008 07:43 AM
          Please respond to
          podcasters@yahoogroups.com

          podcasters@yahoogroups.com
          cc

          Subject
          Re: [podcasters] Phoenix Event Announcement: Startup Weekend Coming to
          Phoenix October 17-19th, 2

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
            On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:34 AM, <gregg.drennan@...> wrote:
            > I understand what you are saying about not getting paid for services
            > rendered but in this case, all monies are paid by the sponsors to
            > StartupWeekend LLC and not the local organizers for the weekend.
            >
            > They use the funds from those sponsorships to reimburse the local organizers
            > for expenditures for things like food and beverages for all of the
            > participants for the whole weekend. We also get reimbursed for any costs
            > for the facility and items needed to make the weekend a success (even the
            > basics that you don't think of like toilet paper and toilet seat covers for
            > 100 people for 3 days!).

            Fair enough.

            > For the media people, most of the hobbyists I personally know who are into
            > photography, videography, podcasting, etc. do this kind of stuff for fun and
            > the opportunity to network with other people of the same interests.

            There *is* value in networking, to be sure.

            > In case your interested, the reason I've spent hundreds of hours organizing
            > this event since June is because I was lucky enough to attend the Startup
            > Weekend in Columbus, OH back in May and was so jazzed when I left there I
            > wanted to make sure that everyone in my home town of Phoenix had the
            > opportunity to experience a Startup Weekend themselves and to get that
            > "jazzed" feeling like I did.

            I hear ya.

            > Thanks for the comments and hopefully now you hare a better understanding of
            > why we are looking for volunteers.

            Thanks for clarifying -- I really appreciate your putting everything
            on the table, embracing openness and all that. Best of luck with the
            event!

            --
            Matthew Wayne Selznick
            Author, Podcaster