PodCasting Newbie

  • Mike Sharpe
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2008
      I've been recommended to ask here about a few questions, PG Holyfield
      (Podcast/Novel Author, at Podiobooks Community) Suggest that I come
      here, and ask them.

      I'm in the early Stages of doing a Podcast, It has No name yet, but
      has a general theme. (I'm planning to use it as a experience for my
      PodioBook and some method to keep attracting new listeners)

      I've done a small search online, I've come across PodBean, as a
      possible Free host for the Podcast. So is there any thing, such as
      Catches, that I should be to be aware of?

      Mike Sharpe
      BigNutter/windytwit
    • danhughes@juno.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2008
        Mike, I looked into Podbean when I started (just a few weeks ago), and
        they are a nice setup. Only problem is that when you reach a certain
        amount of content (I think I figured that in my case it would be about
        five shows), they delete the older ones as you post newer ones.

        Instead I went with libsyn.com. Five bucks a month, unlimited content
        and bandwidth, and each month your old shows are archived but still
        available to everyone just by clicking on the archived month on your home
        page.

        ---Dan, thetreasurecorner.com and thesoftballcorner.com
      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2008
          In my experience, and it isn't much, free means free.
          Now, I've only been podcasting for less than a year now but I've done my homework on the subject.
          I'm sure something will surface...you may come across "free for the first month" or something of that nature.
          I hope, seeing as how I'm relatively new to podcasting, that we can help each other out in such matters.
          This is a great list and I'm sure you'll find a healthy podcasting experience.

          Kevin
          sisco83@...
          http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2008
            On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Mike Sharpe <windytwit@...> wrote:

            > I've been recommended to ask here about a few questions, PG Holyfield
            > (Podcast/Novel Author, at Podiobooks Community) Suggest that I come
            > here, and ask them.
            >
            > I'm in the early Stages of doing a Podcast, It has No name yet, but
            > has a general theme. (I'm planning to use it as a experience for my
            > PodioBook and some method to keep attracting new listeners)
            >
            > I've done a small search online, I've come across PodBean, as a
            > possible Free host for the Podcast. So is there any thing, such as
            > Catches, that I should be to be aware of?
            >
            > Mike Sharpe
            > BigNutter/windytwit
            >

            > .

            I tried PodBean. I didn't like it. The interface is clunky, and you have
            to publish a "show blog" there, regardless of whether or not that blog is
            your primary point of presence on the 'net. And as has already been
            explained, PodBean's storage policies aren't as flexible as LibSyn's. So,
            why not just go with LibSyn?

            For what it's worth, I host all of my podcasts and the associated media
            files with my DreamHost account. This works for me because none of my shows
            are extremely popular. But it saves me money, as I'm only paying for one
            host. So it's an option to consider, depending on your needs.

            --
            -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
            Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

            Shawnogram - Content = life.
            http://www.shawnogram.com/

          • Mike Sharpe
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2008
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Thorpe" <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

              > On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Mike Sharpe <windytwit@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I've been recommended to ask here about a few questions, PG
              Holyfield
              > > (Podcast/Novel Author, at Podiobooks Community) Suggest that I come
              > > here, and ask them.
              > >
              > > I'm in the early Stages of doing a Podcast, It has No name yet, but
              > > has a general theme. (I'm planning to use it as a experience for my
              > > PodioBook and some method to keep attracting new listeners)
              > >
              > > I've done a small search online, I've come across PodBean, as a
              > > possible Free host for the Podcast. So is there any thing, such as
              > > Catches, that I should be to be aware of?
              > >
              > > Mike Sharpe
              > > BigNutter/windytwit
              > >

              > > .
              > >

              > I tried PodBean. I didn't like it. The interface is clunky, and
              you have
              > to publish a "show blog" there, regardless of whether or not that
              blog is
              > your primary point of presence on the 'net. And as has already been
              > explained, PodBean's storage policies aren't as flexible as
              LibSyn's. So,
              > why not just go with LibSyn?

              Why not Libsyn? or any other PayHost?

              My Cash card won't let buy stuff from most sites online. I can't get a
              new card since I don't have a regular Job. I am very limited on
              options. The card is Solo. (As in Visa or Mastercard)

              I also am trying to find out If going solo is really an option for me.
              I really don't want to be paying for stuff I don't want for other 11
              Months, of the 12 month contract.

              Also, I'm open to join most podcast who wants me. Going solo is really
              experience for the Book I'm working on.

              Mike
            • Evo Terra
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2008
                On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:05 AM, Mike Sharpe <windytwit@...> wrote:
                > Why not Libsyn? or any other PayHost?
                >
                > My Cash card won't let buy stuff from most sites online. I can't get a
                > new card since I don't have a regular Job. I am very limited on
                > options.

                1. Use OurMedia.org as your file host. No charge. http://archive.org

                2. Get a free Tumblr account. Use this for your show notes.

                3. Install Disqus so people can comment. Also free.

                4. Run the feed through FeedBurner and let it create a podcast-enabled
                feed for you. Also free.

                Total cost: zero. Instructions on how to do everything above are
                available. It will take some learning. You can figure it out on your
                own with the power of Google and some well-placed searches.

                E.
              • morvenwestfield
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2008
                  For recording software, there's Audacity. It's absolutely free, well-
                  done, relatively easy to learn, and since so many people use it, there
                  are many places to find help if you have problems.

                  There are also many podcasts ABOUT podcasting. Two that I listen to
                  regularly, both my members of this forum, I believe, are:

                  Podcasting for Dummies Companion Podcast (Tee Morris)
                  Dave Jackson's School of Podcasting Morning Announcements (Dave Jackson)

                  If you can afford books, the two I started with are:

                  Podcasting for Dummies (Tee Morris, Evo Terra, Chuck Tomasi)
                  Podcast Solutions (Michael Geoghegan and Dan Klass)

                  This forum is filled with excellent podcasters, so I'm sure that I've
                  left out other really good sources, but these are the ones I started
                  with. (I'm still reading Podcast Solutions.)

                  Good luck!

                  Morven

                  www.morvenwestfield.com
                  www.myspace.com/morvenwestfield
                  http://podcast.morvenwestfield.com (podcast)
                • Mike Sharpe
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 30, 2008
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "morvenwestfield" <morven@...> wrote:

                    > For recording software, there's Audacity. It's absolutely free, well-
                    > done, relatively easy to learn, and since so many people use it, there
                    > are many places to find help if you have problems.

                    I already have my own. My brother is in band and he got some hardware
                    and software for his Pc. I have a Copy of Cubase LE, that I've used
                    for some time now.

                    Also I do have some access to Cubase 4! (But I need to take my bro's
                    pen drive collection!)

                    I know that help will be hard to find... But It's what I needed to
                    learn of the Course I was on.

                    > There are also many podcasts ABOUT podcasting. Two that I listen to
                    > regularly, both my members of this forum, I believe, are:
                    >
                    > Podcasting for Dummies Companion Podcast (Tee Morris)
                    > Dave Jackson's School of Podcasting Morning Announcements (Dave Jackson)

                    Dummies Seasons 1&2 is on my iTunes, with Morevi.

                    > If you can afford books, the two I started with are:
                    >
                    > Podcasting for Dummies (Tee Morris, Evo Terra, Chuck Tomasi)
                    > Podcast Solutions (Michael Geoghegan and Dan Klass)

                    I'm planning to buy the Dummies Book. But I think I already know the
                    basics, well up to making a series of Audio files on my PC.

                    Mike
                  • John McJunkin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                      I've been slammed with commercial work lately, but I have
                      techandtipspodcast.com - in which I get into the production process.
                      Hope the first episodes are helpful to you - more to come soon!

                      John F. McJunkin
                      Avalon Podcasting, LLC
                      877-MY-PODCAST
                      (877-697-6322)