What other podcatchers screw with ID3 tags?

  • Evo Terra
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2008
      Gang,

      We all know that iTunes (and specifically iTunes 8) takes some liberty
      with ID3 tags, overwriting some with information found in the RSS
      feed. For those new to this concept:

      * NAME/TITLE tag is replaced with with the <title> tag inside of the
      <item> element. For many of us, that's the title of the blog post.
      * ALBUM tag is replaced with the <title> tag inside of the <channel>
      element. For man of us, that's the title of our blog.
      * GENRE is replaced with "Podcast".
      * YEAR is replaced with the current year. I assume this is based on
      download date.
      * The filename is rewritten by concatenating the elements above, but
      with the track # from your ID3 tag in the middle. Sort of.

      To test this, I uploaded an MP3 file, tagged with a special indicator
      (ID3:) on all ID3 tags I could find inside of ID3X. I then uploaded
      the file to a special RSS feed, where the channel elements were tagged
      with CHANNEL: and the item elements tagged with ITEM:. I subscribe to
      the feed in iTunes and registered the changes you see above on the
      fetched MP3 file.

      I wonder what other podcatchers are doing? Knowing to trust the power
      of the crowd, I figure the best thing to do is let you test the feed
      and file I uploaded on your podcatcher of choice.

      http://testingitunes.podiobooks.libsynpro.com/rss

      Why am I raising your attention to this? Because we all need to know
      what's happening. These ID3 tags impact how people find our episodes
      on their devices. Oh, and all to many podcasters don't pay a nickels
      worth of attention to their ID3 tag, which disturbs me.

      So for those that do care, subscribe to the link above with your
      podcatcher and let us know what is changed. You can also use it to see
      what elements of your modified ID3 tags (or something else) are used
      to display the episode on various MP3 players. Handy. I rule.

      E.
      --
      Evo Terra
      Podiobooks.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2008
        I checked it out in Ziepod, and while it didn't have any tags that
        were changed, many of the fields for tags in ID3-TagIt 3 were blank.
        None of them were anything I really cared about for podcasts, though.

        On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Evo Terra <thisisevo@...> wrote:
        > Gang,
        >
        > We all know that iTunes (and specifically iTunes 8) takes some liberty
        > with ID3 tags, overwriting some with information found in the RSS
        > feed. For those new to this concept:
        >
        > * NAME/TITLE tag is replaced with with the <title> tag inside of the
        > <item> element. For many of us, that's the title of the blog post.
        > * ALBUM tag is replaced with the <title> tag inside of the <channel>
        > element. For man of us, that's the title of our blog.
        > * GENRE is replaced with "Podcast".
        > * YEAR is replaced with the current year. I assume this is based on
        > download date.
        > * The filename is rewritten by concatenating the elements above, but
        > with the track # from your ID3 tag in the middle. Sort of.
        >
        > To test this, I uploaded an MP3 file, tagged with a special indicator
        > (ID3:) on all ID3 tags I could find inside of ID3X. I then uploaded
        > the file to a special RSS feed, where the channel elements were tagged
        > with CHANNEL: and the item elements tagged with ITEM:. I subscribe to
        > the feed in iTunes and registered the changes you see above on the
        > fetched MP3 file.
        >
        > I wonder what other podcatchers are doing? Knowing to trust the power
        > of the crowd, I figure the best thing to do is let you test the feed
        > and file I uploaded on your podcatcher of choice.
        >
        > http://testingitunes.podiobooks.libsynpro.com/rss
        >
        > Why am I raising your attention to this? Because we all need to know
        > what's happening. These ID3 tags impact how people find our episodes
        > on their devices. Oh, and all to many podcasters don't pay a nickels
        > worth of attention to their ID3 tag, which disturbs me.
        >
        > So for those that do care, subscribe to the link above with your
        > podcatcher and let us know what is changed. You can also use it to see
        > what elements of your modified ID3 tags (or something else) are used
        > to display the episode on various MP3 players. Handy. I rule.
        >
        > E.
        > --
        > Evo Terra
        > Podiobooks.com
        > ---------------------
        > Follow us at --> http://twitter.com/podiobooks

        -----
        "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
        in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
      • Russell S. Holliman
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
          myPodder was originally written to change ID3 tags "ala iTunes" only if all
          of them were blank. We felt that having nothing at all was not a good user
          experience, but if the author put something in the tags then they should be
          left alone.