Re: [podcasters] Podspew

  • the Encaffeinated ONE
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
      These sorts of copiers are all over the place; I've noted my blog and
      several others copied and dumped unceremoniously into someone else's page.
      It's unfortunate, but the openness of the web easily allows such a thing,
      and doesn't really give much hope to stopping it -- short of every page
      being an *image* of text and not text itself. (But then, your image is
      taken..)

      I've thought about trying to get real clever and write a Javascript/AJAX
      thingee (technical term) that would download the contents on demand, or
      scream loudly about SCAMMER!/SPAMMER! if the site was in the wrong place.
      Not technically that hard -- although integrating it with Wordpress might be
      a little tricky for me.

      Still, if a clever coder out there can make this happen, I'd be pleased. It
      irks me a bit that people might find my stuff via search and the ad revenue
      go to them rather than me, but that's the way it goes.

      encaf1/MK

      "An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a
      narrow field." - Niels Bohr
      the Encaffeinated ONE <http://encaffeinated.ca>
      Host of THE WEIRD SHOW <http://theweirdshow.com>
      Crew on The 9th HeroesCAST <http://www.heroescast.com>

      Spoken Word Coordinator, Host on CHSR FM 97.9 <http://chsrfm.ca>
      Production Manager, Giant Gnome Productions
      (Junior) Member, Darker Projects, <http://darkerprojects.com>Pendant Audio
      Productions <http://pendantaudio.com>, Broken Sea Audio<http://brokensea.com>
      *the Encaffeinated ONE*: Amateur Voice Actor, Podcaster, Amateur Writer
      Wannabe, SF/F Fan, UNIX wizard, Geek.

    • andrew clarke
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
        On Sun 2008-09-28 22:34:03 UTC-0400, Stephen Eley (SFEley@...) wrote:

        > On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Rick Savoia <rick@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I stumbled across this site tonight while doing a Google search on my
        > > show, The Force Field. Apparently it converts downloadable mp3 files
        > > into streams in .M3U.
        >
        > They're making this sound like some sort of complex "conversion"
        > process, but an M3U playlist file is really just a text file with all
        > the locations of the media files you want to play. (URLs in this
        > case.)

        #!/usr/bin/env python

        # list-enclosures.py
        #
        # A simple Python program to read an RSS 2.0 feed from standard input
        # and output a list of enclosure URLs.
        #
        # Usage: ./list-enclosures.py < input.rss > output.m3u
        #
        # Written in July 2007 by Andrew Clarke <mail@...>
        # and released to the public domain.

        import xml.parsers.expat, sys

        def start_element(name, attrs):
        if name == 'enclosure':
        print attrs['url']

        x = xml.parsers.expat.ParserCreate()
        x.StartElementHandler = start_element
        x.Parse(sys.stdin.read(), True)
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
          On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:28 AM, the Encaffeinated ONE
          <encaf1@...> wrote:
          > These sorts of copiers are all over the place; I've noted my blog and
          > several others copied and dumped unceremoniously into someone else's page.
          > It's unfortunate, but the openness of the web easily allows such a thing,
          > and doesn't really give much hope to stopping it -- short of every page
          > being an *image* of text and not text itself. (But then, your image is
          > taken..)

          You're talking about something else. Podspew.com didn't copy anyone's
          site or site content. They are redisplaying some feed info and
          creating a text file with the enclosure URLs from the feed.

          More to the point, why is it unfortunate? Unless they're stripping
          attribution from you, it all points back to you. Ineffectively, in an
          ugly manner, and for squalid reasons, they're helping to promote your
          stuff. This is bad? Do you release on Creative Commons, or do you
          prefer to keep people from redistributing the stuff you're giving away
          for free?

          > I've thought about trying to get real clever and write a Javascript/AJAX
          > thingee (technical term) that would download the contents on demand, or
          > scream loudly about SCAMMER!/SPAMMER! if the site was in the wrong place.
          > Not technically that hard -- although integrating it with Wordpress might be
          > a little tricky for me.

          Cute, but most of those Webfungus sites aren't scraping your Web site.
          They're reading your RSS feed. RSS feed agents aren't going to run
          any Javascript, they're just making straight HTTP get requests.
          Unless you're willing to destroy the utility of your RSS feed and only
          serve files to Web browsers (i.e., stop being a podcaster), you
          wouldn't fix anything this way.

          > Still, if a clever coder out there can make this happen, I'd be pleased. It
          > irks me a bit that people might find my stuff via search and the ad revenue
          > go to them rather than me, but that's the way it goes.

          How much ad revenue are you getting from your Web site right now? How
          much do you think _they'll_ get? You're not talking about real
          numbers here. The reason Webfungus grows to redistribute so much crap
          from so many places is because the business model is so bad, they
          _need_ thousands and thousands of sites to pull in any revenue at all.

          I'm not saying they're doing a fine and noble thing. I'm just
          suggesting that, as intellectual property infringement goes, Webfungus
          is more pathetic than dangerous.

          http://www.escapepod.org
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
            On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:47 AM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:

            > #!/usr/bin/env python
            >
            > # list-enclosures.py
            > # A simple Python program to read an RSS 2.0 feed from standard input
            > # and output a list of enclosure URLs.

            Ha! I'll see your Python XML parser and raise you a Perl regex:

            #!/usr/bin/perl
            while (<>) {$_ =~ /<enclosure.*url=\"(.*?)\"/ && print "$1\n";}

            (Ordinarily these days I'd do this in Ruby, but Ruby doesn't have that
            <> shortcut for STDIN, so it would have been more characters.
            Otherwise it would have been almost the same.)

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • the Encaffeinated ONE
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
              On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

              > You're talking about something else. Podspew.com didn't copy anyone's
              > site or site content. They are redisplaying some feed info and
              > creating a text file with the enclosure URLs from the feed.

              You're right, of course -- it's a different species of ugliness. Or maybe
              just a different sub-species under my general category of "ECH". ;)

              > More to the point, why is it unfortunate? Unless they're stripping
              > attribution from you, it all points back to you. Ineffectively, in an
              > ugly manner, and for squalid reasons, they're helping to promote your
              > stuff. This is bad? Do you release on Creative Commons, or do you
              > prefer to keep people from redistributing the stuff you're giving away
              > for free?

              Well, the one's that I've seen strip all links and often even any sort of
              attribution. As for the RSS refeeders, I think it muddies the water when
              someone who is searching for things by me are redirected to a poorly-laid
              out or badly built site. The things is: they aren't really adding any value
              to what I'm doing, and any negative things about them might reflect poorly
              on them.

              I mean, if spam can have as great an effect as it does, there must be people
              gullible or misinformed enough to fall for it. The same thing applies to
              these feedleechers.

              Also, if *they* offer an RSS feed which is *not* mine, then I lose listener
              trackability, and that definitely can have an effect on my podcast. I'm not
              particularly obsessed with the numbers, but I like to have a handle on the
              general size. And for those who are looking to (arg!) "monetize" their
              stuff, they'll likely lose some evidence.

              I'm not saying that these are necessarily "evil", just "awful" and
              "detrimental".

              There are actual podcast directories that work this way, and sometimes they
              take the care to make things right. Those I don't mind, although if I choose
              to change my feed (as I am in the process of doing now) I can't update them
              and therefore lose some control over my feed. I don't really care about
              rebroadcasts, and I make sure to mention my URL in each episode, but I *do*
              want to maintain a certain level of control over the channel.

              > Cute, but most of those Webfungus sites aren't scraping your Web site.
              > They're reading your RSS feed. RSS feed agents aren't going to run
              > any Javascript, they're just making straight HTTP get requests.
              > Unless you're willing to destroy the utility of your RSS feed and only
              > serve files to Web browsers (i.e., stop being a podcaster), you
              > wouldn't fix anything this way.

              Well, if the RSS feed has full HTML text, you *can*, in fact, shove
              JavaScript into it, but I get your meaning. It feels a little like the
              futility of fighting SPAM: we can do some things to minimize the impact on
              our inbox, but we can't do much to stop the source. I admit, it's a danger
              of the "free frontier" that we also appreciate highly, the freedom comes at
              a price.

              > How much ad revenue are you getting from your Web site right now? How
              > much do you think _they'll_ get? You're not talking about real
              > numbers here. The reason Webfungus grows to redistribute so much crap
              > from so many places is because the business model is so bad, they
              > _need_ thousands and thousands of sites to pull in any revenue at all.

              It's true, I don't actually make much ad revenue. Ok, really none. ;) But it
              does disturb me a bit when I find my feed out of context, badly displayed
              and getting the page impression that was meant for me..

              And while the business model is so bad that it *requires* mass hits to work,
              that's not that hard to set up. It's a "poisoning the well" situation, where
              they are not discouraged if they have to kill the entire town just to kill
              one person, because they don't care about the town anyway..

              I just keep wondering about my mom as my typical example: reasonably
              intelligent, but not really net savvy: if she forgot my web address and did
              a search, would she know which one to choose? And if she chose the wrong one
              -- one that, say, used porn banner ads -- would she realize that it has
              nothing to do with me?

              A podcaster should have some rights to protect their image, although they
              cannot be well-enforced in the current infrastructure..

              > I'm not saying they're doing a fine and noble thing. I'm just
              > suggesting that, as intellectual property infringement goes, Webfungus
              > is more pathetic than dangerous.

              Doesn't stop me from complaining or spinning off quick thoughts about how
              they might be smashed, however.. :) I would hope that, in time, such sleazy
              business practices are defeated by a combination of intelligent tools and
              intelligent people, but likely digital bottom-feeders will always be around.

              And it always helps to bring up such things, especially here, because there
              are always those who are not aware of them and need to be educated.

              encaf1/MK

              "An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a
              narrow field." - Niels Bohr
              the Encaffeinated ONE <http://encaffeinated.ca/>
              Host of THE WEIRD SHOW <http://theweirdshow.com/>
              Crew on The 9th HeroesCAST <http://www.heroescast.com/>

              Spoken Word Coordinator, Host on CHSR FM 97.9 <http://chsrfm.ca/>
              Production Manager, Giant Gnome Productions
              (Junior) Member, Darker Projects, <http://darkerprojects.com/>Pendant Audio
              Productions <http://pendantaudio.com/>, Broken Sea Audio<http://brokensea.com/>
              *the Encaffeinated ONE*: Amateur Voice Actor, Podcaster, Amateur Writer
              Wannabe, SF/F Fan, UNIX wizard, Geek.

            • Pat Cook (The Left Wing Conservative)
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
                Hi everyone:

                There's a way around that you know.

                Take their feed and put it on FeedBurner. You use the FeedBurner URL and they can use their own feed. This way, if you change hosts, all you have to do is simply redirect people to the new feed URL simply by logging onto FeedBurner (Don't forget your username and password info!) and change it in there.

                By doing that, you have more accurate information that PodShow does.

                And speaking of "PodSpew", there's a discussion on the Videoblogging group regarding the safeness of VIDEOS on there. Are they safe (As in NO ROYALTY ISSUES)??? I'll be happy to pass along the answer to this question.

                Cheers

                Pat Cook
                HOST - The Left Wing Conservative Talk Show
                Denver, CO
                WEBSITE - http://www.geocities.com/theleftwingconservative/

> [...]

                intelligent people, but likely digital bottom-feeders will always be around.

                And it always helps to bring up such things, especially here, because there
                are always those who are not aware of them and need to be educated.

                encaf1/MK

                "An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a
                narrow field." - Niels Bohr
                the Encaffeinated ONE <http://encaffeinated.ca/>
                Host of THE WEIRD SHOW <http://theweirdshow.com/>
                Crew on The 9th HeroesCAST <http://www.heroescast.com/>

                Spoken Word Coordinator, Host on CHSR FM 97.9 <http://chsrfm.ca/>
                Production Manager, Giant Gnome Productions
                (Junior) Member, Darker Projects, <http://darkerprojects.com/>Pendant Audio
                Productions <http://pendantaudio.com/>, Broken Sea Audio<http://brokensea.com/>
                *the Encaffeinated ONE*: Amateur Voice Actor, Podcaster, Amateur Writer

              • Kevin
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
                  So, it's not a complete scam...just a huge hemroid on the rear of the net.

                  Kevin
                  sisco83@...
                  http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
                    I could take a crack at such a script. In the meantime, at least your name is "out there"

                    Kevin
                    sisco83@...
                    http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

> [...]

                    > B.) Broken. The file it gave me to download didn't even have an .m3u
                    > extension, it had a .php extension. Basic stupid coding error. But
                    > makes it harder to use if somebody DID want one of these files.
                    >
                    > C.) Misleading. There's no "streaming" involved here. This is just a
                    > playlist file. You could pass it to a Flash player or something if
                    > you wanted to, but that's not really streaming either. And they don't
                    > even have such a Flash player on their site. Lazy, lazy.
                    >
                    > As for their listing my content... *shrug* It's just another bad
                    > podcast directory. I release on a Creative Commons license, so
                    > anybody who wants to can do this sort of thing. It doesn't hurt me if
                    > they do it. Heck, somebody someday might even use this site to search
                    > for a podcast, and find mine. It doesn't seem *likely*, but why
                    > should I stand in their way?
                    >
                    > (Oh, and... D.) Horrible, horrible name.)

                  • Rick Savoia
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
                      Hi Pat, I think you may have mistaken the title of my post as a
                      derogatory reference to Podshow, which it wasn't. I was referring to
                      an actual website called Podspew, which claimed to stream podcasts
                      after submitting the RSS feed for it.

                      I was surprised to find the site while Googling around for my show
                      and was asking if it was a legit site or a malware server. From the
                      serve malware.

                      For the record, while I am not a fan of PodShow I did not attempt to
                      denigrade their name in any way. The name Podspew refers to
                      www.podspew.com and apparently was intentionally named such by the
                      owner of the domain name and is certainly not my choice of a name.

                      Rick Savoia
                      The Force Field podcast for IT service providers
                      http://www.theforcefield.net

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Cook \(The Left Wing