Juice keeps adding "stuff" to podcast file name

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
      For the last few months Juice has been adding "stuff" to many of the podcast
      file names it downloads. It does not do it eveytime, but it is annoying
      since I have to delete the extra text everytime. The text is always after
      the 'real' name, but before the extention (.mp3) A typical addition is
      below:

      The downloaded file:
      GWC_Podcast-119_nvb_20080928141226_nva_20080929141226_t_080ac27887c3bc8bc4156.mp3
      It should read:
      GWC_Podcast-119.mp3

      Any ideas why this is happening, and how to stop it? (the above may not be
      exact .. I had to re-type the filename and may have made a typo)

      Richard Amirault
      Boston, MA, USA
      http://n1jdu.org
      http://bostonfandom.org
    • Kevin Bachelder
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
        > For the last few months Juice has been adding "stuff" to many of the podcast
        > file names it downloads. It does not do it eveytime, but it is annoying
        > since I have to delete the extra text everytime. The text is always after
        > the 'real' name, but before the extention (.mp3) A typical addition is
        > below:
        >
        > The downloaded file:
        > GWC_Podcast-119_nvb_20080928141226_nva_20080929141226_t_080ac27887c3bc8bc4156.mp3
        > It should read:
        > GWC_Podcast-119.mp3
        >
        > Any ideas why this is happening, and how to stop it? (the above may not be
        > exact .. I had to re-type the filename and may have made a typo)
        >
        > Richard Amirault

        I noticed that as well.

        I recently stopped using Juice so I didn't look deeper into what was going on.

        Kevin

        --
        Fan of Firefly, Farscape, Blood Ties or Dragon*Con?
        If so, then you may enjoy listening to the award winning podcasts...

        The Signal (Firefly)
        http://www.serenityfirefly.com

        The ScapeCast
        http://www.scapecast.org

        Bite Back (Blood Ties)
        http://www.bloodtiespodcast.org

        Dragon*Pod
        http://www.dragon-pod.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
          On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Richard Amirault
          <ramirault@...> wrote:
          > The downloaded file:
          > GWC_Podcast-119_nvb_20080928141226_nva_20080929141226_t_080ac27887c3bc8bc4156.mp3

          As a programmer, it amuses me that I can actually parse that a bit.
          The first two long number strings are timestamps. You can read them
          year-month-day-time, so "20080928141226" becomes "2008-09-28
          14:12:26," or 2:12 PM on September 28th, 2008. That's probably when
          it started downloading the file in the UDT time zone, or Greenwich
          Mean Time. Why it has it twice, I don't know. I would guess that
          one's beginning time and one's ending time, except that in the example
          you gave they're identical. (Assuming you made a typo in the second
          one.)

          The string after the "_t_" looks like an MD5 checksum. It's a
          shortcut way of determining whether or not two chunks of data (files,
          string, whatever) are identical. My wild guess would be that it's
          calculating it as an integrity check on the file's location.

          I'll bet what's happening is that that's the temporary filename it's
          storing the file as when it begins downloading. That way if you try
          to download the same file twice, they don't clobber each other.
          (They'll have different timestamps, but it would also know that
          they're from the same place.) Then, when it finishes and moves the
          file into its final location, it's supposed to strip all that off
          again. For some reason, a bug in Juice is keeping it from stripping
          that data off.

          Juice hasn't been maintained in years, so unless you want to learn to
          program, there's probably not a lot you can do about it. It looks
          like a pretty harmless bug, but if you don't like it, the best options
          I can think of would be:

          1.) Uninstall and reinstall Juice, maybe picking different directories
          to put things in the second time, on the off chance that it helps; or

          2.) Get a different podcast client. There are a lot of choices
          besides iTunes. There's myPodder, Doppler, FeedStation, PodNova...
          Also, every modern newsreader has some podcasting support built in.
          If I wasn't actually happy with iTunes I'd probably be using
          NetNewsWire.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Nobilis
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
            On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

            > 2.) Get a different podcast client. There are a lot of choices
            > besides iTunes. There's myPodder, Doppler, FeedStation, PodNova...
            > Also, every modern newsreader has some podcasting support built in.
            > If I wasn't actually happy with iTunes I'd probably be using
            > NetNewsWire.

            This was my solution. I tried most of the readers on the list and
            settled on Ziepod. It has all the features I wanted.

            -----
            "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
            in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
          • Rev. David Grizzly Smith
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
              It was 28 Sep 2008, when Richard Amirault commented:

              > For the last few months Juice has been adding "stuff" to many of the
              > podcast file names it downloads. It does not do it eveytime, but it is
              > annoying since I have to delete the extra text everytime. The text is
              > always after the 'real' name, but before the extention (.mp3) A typical
              > addition is below:
              >
              > The downloaded file:
              > GWC_Podcast-119_nvb_20080928141226_nva_20080929141226_t_080ac27887c3bc8bc41
              > 56.mp3 It should read: GWC_Podcast-119.mp3
              >
              > Any ideas why this is happening, and how to stop it? (the above may not be
              > exact .. I had to re-type the filename and may have made a typo)

              FWIW, I've seen the same behavior using AutoPodder from PodcastReady. And
              it seems to be consistently shows hosted on Libsyn. No idea why.

              --

              Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
              Stories from the Hiber-Nation: