RE: [podcasters] Re: software

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
      I apparently didn't explain myself well. My current podcasting computer
      has vista on it. The software I used to use doesn't work on vista. I was
      looking for something that had two or three "decks" so I can load up
      different songs and such to mix in. Kinda like college radio, but no
      college.

        If so, tracks is the correct terminology...

        waldo

        On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 22:35, Michael <MRinger@...> wrote:

        > I apparently didn't explain myself well. My current podcasting computer
        > has vista on it. The software I used to use doesn't work on vista. I was
        > looking for something that had two or three "decks" so I can load up
        > different songs and such to mix in. Kinda like college radio, but no
        > college.

        Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
        Executive Producer
        Giant Gnome Productions
        www.giantgnome.com
        MCCAIN FTW

        "...you know what? I still get out of bed
        every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
        Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
        else..."
        - Edward Morris

      • danhughes@juno.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
          Waldo asks, "Are "decks" like tracks? If so, tracks is the correct
          terminology..."
        • Paul Puri
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
            On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Waldo O <americanbookmoghuls@...>wrote:

            > Are "decks" like tracks?
            > If so, tracks is the correct terminology...

            Google is your friend.

            DJ Freeware:

            Mixxx | Free Digital *DJ
            Software*<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mixxx.org%2F&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNHNr1Ax9CegWkr19Nqgww57oGgThA&sig2=sSGOhyq4e62WSuAfnOWyxw>Mixxx
            is free cross-platform digital *DJ software* with professional features like
            parallel visual displays, beat estimation, beat matching, skins, EQs...
            www.mixxx.org/

            Free *DJ Software* for
            Windows<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nch.com.au%2Fdj%2Findex.html&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNFKMpci9CUou8FPk7Hqp2hYbLkW2A&sig2=Eek5zgsUHdiywYZrmMEpZw>Download
            this free program for *DJs* to mix music live using a Windows PC.
            Professional *DJ software* without the cost.
            www.nch.com.au/*dj*/index.html

            Virtual *dj freeware*
            download<http://en.softonic.com/s/virtual-dj-freeware>Download
            virtual *dj freeware* - Weblin 2.8.2.1: Meet new people on each webpage you
            visit, and much more downloads.
            en.softonic.com/s/virtual-*dj*-*freeware

            **DJ*-Workstation - A *Freeware
            DJ*-Mixing-Tool<http://dj-workstation.de/English/start.html>The
            *DJ*-Workstation is not a megabyte monster. It is small and fast. No
            registry entrys were doing an no rubbish will be copied in windows systen
            directory. *...*
            *dj*-workstation.de/English/start.html

            --
            Paul Puri

            My Blog
            http://www.paulpuri.blogspot.com

            My updates
            http://www.paulpuri.name

            My podcasting gear recommendations:
            http://podsafegear.com

            Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
            http://twitter.com/paulpuri

            Promotion without shame.
            Podcasting Announcements

          • Waldo O
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
              Oh. Old tech! Gotcha :) jk Isn't that just like a playlist?

              waldo

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
                Yeah. back in the day we called them direct drive turn tables J

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
                  Thanks Paul, I will check those out.

                  <mailto:americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com> >wrote:

                  > Are "decks" like tracks?
                  > If so, tracks is the correct terminology...

                  Google is your friend.

                  DJ Freeware:

                  Mixxx | Free Digital *DJ
                  Software*<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t
                  <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.
                  mixxx.org%2F&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNHNr1Ax9CegWkr19Nqgww57oGgTh
                  A&sig2=sSGOhyq4e62WSuAfnOWyxw>
                  &source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mixxx.org%2F&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP
                  85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNHNr1Ax9CegWkr19Nqgww57oGgThA&sig2=sSGOhyq4e62WSuAfnOWyxw>M
                  ixxx
                  is free cross-platform digital *DJ software* with professional features like
                  parallel visual displays, beat estimation, beat matching, skins, EQs...
                  www.mixxx.org/

                  Free *DJ Software* for
                  Windows<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t
                  <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.
                  nch.com.au%2Fdj%2Findex.html&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNFKMpci9CUou
                  8FPk7Hqp2hYbLkW2A&sig2=Eek5zgsUHdiywYZrmMEpZw>
                  &source=web&ct=res&cd=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nch.com.au%2Fdj%2Findex.html&ei
                  =g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNFKMpci9CUou8FPk7Hqp2hYbLkW2A&sig2=Eek5zgsU
                  HdiywYZrmMEpZw>Download
                  this free program for *DJs* to mix music live using a Windows PC.
                  Professional *DJ software* without the cost.
                  www.nch.com.au/*dj*/index.html

                  Virtual *dj freeware*
                  download<http://en.softonic.com/s/virtual-dj-freeware>Download
                  virtual *dj freeware* - Weblin 2.8.2.1: Meet new people on each webpage you
                  visit, and much more downloads.
                  en.softonic.com/s/virtual-*dj*-*freeware

                  **DJ*-Workstation - A *Freeware
                  DJ*-Mixing-Tool<http://dj-workstation.de/English/start.html>The
                  *DJ*-Workstation is not a megabyte monster. It is small and fast. No
                  registry entrys were doing an no rubbish will be copied in windows systen
                  directory. *...*
                  *dj*-workstation.de/English/start.html

                  --
                  Paul Puri

                  My Blog
                  http://www.paulpuri.blogspot.com

                  My updates
                  http://www.paulpuri.name

                  My podcasting gear recommendations:
                  http://podsafegear.com

                  Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
                  http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                  Promotion without shame.
                  Podcasting Announcements

                • Rich Elswick
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                    download a LIve CD of Ubuntu Studio and try some of the apps on there....
                    http://ubuntustudio.org/

                    You might even find a better solution than Vista. :)

                    Rich

                    Rich Elswick
                    http://www.moyaentertainment.com

                  • andrew clarke
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                      On Fri 2008-09-26 21:35:38 UTC-0500, Michael (MRinger@...) wrote:

                      > I apparently didn't explain myself well. My current podcasting computer
                      > has vista on it. The software I used to use doesn't work on vista.

                      What software? What happens when you run it under Vista?

                      I remember some time ago Adam Curry promoting CastBlaster. Maybe
                      that's what you're referring to. If not, maybe it will work for you.

                      http://www.castblaster.com/

                      Although it does appear that the CastBlaster support forum has been
                      hit by some sort of trojan/virus, as currently there are spam links at
                      the top of the page:

                      http://www.castblaster.com/forums/

                      Also, the program seems quite expensive at $AUD 65.60 (I think that's
                      about $USD 50).

                      A bit discouraging really.

                      Regards
                      Andrew
                    • Michael
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                        That's not an option but thanks.

                        <mailto:MRinger%40austin.rr.com> > wrote:

                        > Thanks Paul, I will check those out.
                        >
                        > From: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                        <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
                        > podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                        <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>] On
                        > Behalf Of Paul Puri
                        > Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 10:39 PM
                        > To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                        <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Subject: Re: [podcasters] Re: software
                        >
                        > On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Waldo O <americanbookmoghuls@...
                        <mailto:americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com> <americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com>

> [...]
                        > virtual *dj freeware* - Weblin 2.8.2.1: Meet new people on each webpage
                        > you
                        > visit, and much more downloads.
                        > en.softonic.com/s/virtual-*dj*-*freeware
                        >
                        > **DJ*-Workstation - A *Freeware
                        > DJ*-Mixing-Tool<http://dj-workstation.de/English/start.html>The
                        > *DJ*-Workstation is not a megabyte monster. It is small and fast. No
                        > registry entrys were doing an no rubbish will be copied in windows systen
                        > directory. *...*
                        > *dj*-workstation.de/English/start.html
                        >
                        > --
                        > Paul Puri
                        >
                        > My Blog
                        > http://www.paulpuri.blogspot.com
                        >
                        > My updates
                        > http://www.paulpuri.name
                        >
                        > My podcasting gear recommendations:
                        > http://podsafegear.com
                        >
                        > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.

                      • Martin McKeay
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                          Why not? Do you know what a LiveCD is? It's a Linux distro that you can
                          boot off of without making any changes to your real system to try out the
                          software. Most of them do have provisions for permanent installation on
                          your drive, but it's not necessary. Another thing you can do is make it
                          into a LiveUSB key, which enables some saving of the configuration to the
                          USBkey, still without making changes to your Windows system.

                          http://www.mckeay.net/2008/08/24/fedora-live-usb-creator/

                          Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
                          Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
                          and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
                          Email: martin@...
                          YIM: mmckeay@...
                          TwitterID: mckeay
                          (W) 707-495-7926

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                            I'll look into it. all that arm twisting and all...

                            Email: martin@... <mailto:martin%40mckeay.net>
                            YIM: mmckeay@... <mailto:mmckeay%40yahoo.com>

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                              What isn't an option, running a LiveCD? It doesn't install anything on top
                              of Vista, yet you are able to test out the applications as when it is in the
                              CD drive and you boot up, it will boot Ubuntu and run the operating system
                              from the CD. No effect on your currently precious Windows machine. Save
                              the data to a USB drive.

                              Most of those applications can also be installed on XP, not sure about Vista
                              though.

                              Rich

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                doh, sorry I didn't see that Martin had replied already. I might have to
                                check out his podcast now too. :)

                                Rich

                                On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Rich Elswick <painbank@...> wrote:

                                > What isn't an option, running a LiveCD? It doesn't install anything on top
                                > of Vista, yet you are able to test out the applications as when it is in the
                                > CD drive and you boot up, it will boot Ubuntu and run the operating system
                                > from the CD. No effect on your currently precious Windows machine. Save
                                > the data to a USB drive.
                                >
                                > Most of those applications can also be installed on XP, not sure about
                                > Vista though.
                                >
                                > Rich

                              • Michael
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                  I just realized today as I was driving down the road why it wouldn't work.
                                  I can't reboot into ubuntu while I am podcasting because I usual podcast and
                                  work at the same time, and work has nothing to do with podcasting... SO,
                                  it's back to using my laptop so software is no longer an issue. Thanks for
                                  all the ideas though!

                                  What isn't an option, running a LiveCD? It doesn't install anything on top
                                  of Vista, yet you are able to test out the applications as when it is in the
                                  CD drive and you boot up, it will boot Ubuntu and run the operating system
                                  from the CD. No effect on your currently precious Windows machine. Save
                                  the data to a USB drive.

                                  Most of those applications can also be installed on XP, not sure about Vista
                                  though.

                                  Rich

                                  On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Michael <MRinger@...
                                  <mailto:MRinger%40austin.rr.com> > wrote:

                                  > That's not an option but thanks.
                                  >
                                  > From: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
                                  > podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>] On
                                  > Behalf Of Rich Elswick
                                  > Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:01 AM
                                  > To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > Subject: Re: [podcasters] Re: software
                                  >
                                  > download a LIve CD of Ubuntu Studio and try some of the apps on there....
                                  > http://ubuntustudio.org/
                                  >
                                  > You might even find a better solution than Vista. :)
                                  >
                                  > Rich
                                  >
                                  > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Michael <MRinger@...
                                  <mailto:MRinger%40austin.rr.com> <MRinger%40austin.rr.com>

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                    On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Michael <MRinger@...> wrote:
                                    > I just realized today as I was driving down the road why it wouldn't work.
                                    > I can't reboot into ubuntu while I am podcasting because I usual podcast and
                                    > work at the same time, and work has nothing to do with podcasting...

                                    You don't even have your full attention on your podcast at the moment
                                    you're recording it?

                                    Just curious... How are you doing for audience growth?

                                    http://www.escapepod.org
                                  • Waldo O
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                      On that subject, what is your podcast ABOUT? Is it like "Mike's HotDish"?
                                      Or similar Music podcasts?

                                      waldo

                                      --
                                      Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
                                      Executive Producer
                                      Giant Gnome Productions
                                      www.giantgnome.com
                                      MCCAIN FTW

                                      "...you know what? I still get out of bed
                                      every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
                                      Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
                                      else..."
                                      - Edward Morris

                                    • Mike Wills
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                        Wawawawawhat??? I'm awake... I'm awake... I swear it! Oh...
                                        In all seriousness, I also have been on a quest for a decent way to queue up
                                        all of the music and audio clips that I need/use for my previously mentioned
                                        show to do a live recording. It makes me feel more like a DJ. When I
                                        assemble it in clips, it just doesn't feel the same to me. I have been
                                        temped to see if I could hang out with a local DJ some evening for a little
                                        bit to see how the "pros" do it.

                                        One suggestion if you are using Gmail. Look at the ads that come up with
                                        this message. There was a couple that sound interesting... Seriously, they
                                        have some decent ads once in a while that might just solve what you are
                                        trying to do.

                                        http://register.virtualdjdownloads.com/download/index.aspx?sx=6298121a-da7c-41ea-9b73-3055f2ab6184
                                        http://www.rockit2000.com/

                                        On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Waldo O <americanbookmoghuls@...>wrote:

                                        > On that subject, what is your podcast ABOUT? Is it like "Mike's HotDish"?
                                        > Or similar Music podcasts?
                                        >
                                        > waldo
                                        >
                                        > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 22:25, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Michael <MRinger@...
                                        > <MRinger%40austin.rr.com>>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > > > I just realized today as I was driving down the road why it wouldn't
                                        > > work.
                                        > > > I can't reboot into ubuntu while I am podcasting because I usual
                                        > podcast
                                        > > and
                                        > > > work at the same time, and work has nothing to do with podcasting...
                                        > >
                                        > > You don't even have your full attention on your podcast at the moment
                                        > > you're recording it?
                                        > >
                                        > > Just curious... How are you doing for audience growth?
                                        > >
                                        > > --
                                        > > Have Fun,
                                        > > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <sfeley%40gmail.com>)
                                        > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
                                        > > http://www.escapepod.org
                                        > >

                                        > --
                                        > Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
                                        > Executive Producer
                                        > Giant Gnome Productions
                                        > www.giantgnome.com
                                        > MCCAIN FTW
                                        >
                                        > "...you know what? I still get out of bed
                                        > every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
                                        > Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
                                        > else..."
                                        > - Edward Morris

                                        Mike Wills
                                        mike@...
                                        Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
                                        Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
                                        Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills

                                        Podcasts:
                                        Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
                                        Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

                                      • Michael
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                                          Its random music mainly industrial and techno and me trying to be funny.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                                            Yes and no, while music is going I can do other things. Its pretty much how
                                            I did things when I was doing college radio back in the 80's.