RE: [podcasters] software

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
      Nope, Audacity won't do it for me. I run a show with music. I was using
      Pod Producer (podproducer.net) but it doesn't work on vista nor has it been
      updated in over a year. I can't seem to figure out how to mix different
      "decks" with songs like a dj would with audacity. Hence something like dj
      software with at least two decks that I can record. I know record for all is
      out there, but since this is a hobby I am not able to spend the money..

      Any ideas?

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
        I apparently didn't explain myself well. My current podcasting computer
        has vista on it. The software I used to use doesn't work on vista. I was
        looking for something that had two or three "decks" so I can load up
        different songs and such to mix in. Kinda like college radio, but no
        college.

          If so, tracks is the correct terminology...

          waldo

          On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 22:35, Michael <MRinger@...> wrote:

          > I apparently didn't explain myself well. My current podcasting computer
          > has vista on it. The software I used to use doesn't work on vista. I was
          > looking for something that had two or three "decks" so I can load up
          > different songs and such to mix in. Kinda like college radio, but no
          > college.

          Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
          Executive Producer
          Giant Gnome Productions
          www.giantgnome.com
          MCCAIN FTW

          "...you know what? I still get out of bed
          every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
          Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
          else..."
          - Edward Morris

        • danhughes@juno.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
            Waldo asks, "Are "decks" like tracks? If so, tracks is the correct
            terminology..."
          • Paul Puri
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
              On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Waldo O <americanbookmoghuls@...>wrote:

              > Are "decks" like tracks?
              > If so, tracks is the correct terminology...

              Google is your friend.

              DJ Freeware:

              Mixxx | Free Digital *DJ
              Software*<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mixxx.org%2F&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNHNr1Ax9CegWkr19Nqgww57oGgThA&sig2=sSGOhyq4e62WSuAfnOWyxw>Mixxx
              is free cross-platform digital *DJ software* with professional features like
              parallel visual displays, beat estimation, beat matching, skins, EQs...
              www.mixxx.org/

              Free *DJ Software* for
              Windows<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nch.com.au%2Fdj%2Findex.html&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNFKMpci9CUou8FPk7Hqp2hYbLkW2A&sig2=Eek5zgsUHdiywYZrmMEpZw>Download
              this free program for *DJs* to mix music live using a Windows PC.
              Professional *DJ software* without the cost.
              www.nch.com.au/*dj*/index.html

              Virtual *dj freeware*
              download<http://en.softonic.com/s/virtual-dj-freeware>Download
              virtual *dj freeware* - Weblin 2.8.2.1: Meet new people on each webpage you
              visit, and much more downloads.
              en.softonic.com/s/virtual-*dj*-*freeware

              **DJ*-Workstation - A *Freeware
              DJ*-Mixing-Tool<http://dj-workstation.de/English/start.html>The
              *DJ*-Workstation is not a megabyte monster. It is small and fast. No
              registry entrys were doing an no rubbish will be copied in windows systen
              directory. *...*
              *dj*-workstation.de/English/start.html

              --
              Paul Puri

              My Blog
              http://www.paulpuri.blogspot.com

              My updates
              http://www.paulpuri.name

              My podcasting gear recommendations:
              http://podsafegear.com

              Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
              http://twitter.com/paulpuri

              Promotion without shame.
              Podcasting Announcements

            • Waldo O
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
                Oh. Old tech! Gotcha :) jk Isn't that just like a playlist?

                waldo

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
                  Yeah. back in the day we called them direct drive turn tables J

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
                    Thanks Paul, I will check those out.

                    <mailto:americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com> >wrote:

                    > Are "decks" like tracks?
                    > If so, tracks is the correct terminology...

                    Google is your friend.

                    DJ Freeware:

                    Mixxx | Free Digital *DJ
                    Software*<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t
                    <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.
                    mixxx.org%2F&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNHNr1Ax9CegWkr19Nqgww57oGgTh
                    A&sig2=sSGOhyq4e62WSuAfnOWyxw>
                    &source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mixxx.org%2F&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP
                    85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNHNr1Ax9CegWkr19Nqgww57oGgThA&sig2=sSGOhyq4e62WSuAfnOWyxw>M
                    ixxx
                    is free cross-platform digital *DJ software* with professional features like
                    parallel visual displays, beat estimation, beat matching, skins, EQs...
                    www.mixxx.org/

                    Free *DJ Software* for
                    Windows<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t
                    <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.
                    nch.com.au%2Fdj%2Findex.html&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNFKMpci9CUou
                    8FPk7Hqp2hYbLkW2A&sig2=Eek5zgsUHdiywYZrmMEpZw>
                    &source=web&ct=res&cd=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nch.com.au%2Fdj%2Findex.html&ei
                    =g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNFKMpci9CUou8FPk7Hqp2hYbLkW2A&sig2=Eek5zgsU
                    HdiywYZrmMEpZw>Download
                    this free program for *DJs* to mix music live using a Windows PC.
                    Professional *DJ software* without the cost.
                    www.nch.com.au/*dj*/index.html

                    Virtual *dj freeware*
                    download<http://en.softonic.com/s/virtual-dj-freeware>Download
                    virtual *dj freeware* - Weblin 2.8.2.1: Meet new people on each webpage you
                    visit, and much more downloads.
                    en.softonic.com/s/virtual-*dj*-*freeware

                    **DJ*-Workstation - A *Freeware
                    DJ*-Mixing-Tool<http://dj-workstation.de/English/start.html>The
                    *DJ*-Workstation is not a megabyte monster. It is small and fast. No
                    registry entrys were doing an no rubbish will be copied in windows systen
                    directory. *...*
                    *dj*-workstation.de/English/start.html

                    --
                    Paul Puri

                    My Blog
                    http://www.paulpuri.blogspot.com

                    My updates
                    http://www.paulpuri.name

                    My podcasting gear recommendations:
                    http://podsafegear.com

                    Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
                    http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                    Promotion without shame.
                    Podcasting Announcements

                  • Rich Elswick
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                      download a LIve CD of Ubuntu Studio and try some of the apps on there....
                      http://ubuntustudio.org/

                      You might even find a better solution than Vista. :)

                      Rich

                      Rich Elswick
                      http://www.moyaentertainment.com

                    • andrew clarke
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                        On Fri 2008-09-26 21:35:38 UTC-0500, Michael (MRinger@...) wrote:

                        > I apparently didn't explain myself well. My current podcasting computer
                        > has vista on it. The software I used to use doesn't work on vista.

                        What software? What happens when you run it under Vista?

                        I remember some time ago Adam Curry promoting CastBlaster. Maybe
                        that's what you're referring to. If not, maybe it will work for you.

                        http://www.castblaster.com/

                        Although it does appear that the CastBlaster support forum has been
                        hit by some sort of trojan/virus, as currently there are spam links at
                        the top of the page:

                        http://www.castblaster.com/forums/

                        Also, the program seems quite expensive at $AUD 65.60 (I think that's
                        about $USD 50).

                        A bit discouraging really.

                        Regards
                        Andrew
                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                          That's not an option but thanks.

                          download a LIve CD of Ubuntu Studio and try some of the apps on there....
                          http://ubuntustudio.org/

                          You might even find a better solution than Vista. :)

                          Rich

                          On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Michael <MRinger@...
                          <mailto:MRinger%40austin.rr.com> > wrote:

                          > Thanks Paul, I will check those out.
                          >
                          > From: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
                          > podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>] On
                          > Behalf Of Paul Puri
                          > Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 10:39 PM
                          > To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > Subject: Re: [podcasters] Re: software
                          >
                          > On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Waldo O <americanbookmoghuls@...
                          <mailto:americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com> <americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com>

> [...]
                          > virtual *dj freeware* - Weblin 2.8.2.1: Meet new people on each webpage
                          > you
                          > visit, and much more downloads.
                          > en.softonic.com/s/virtual-*dj*-*freeware
                          >
                          > **DJ*-Workstation - A *Freeware
                          > DJ*-Mixing-Tool<http://dj-workstation.de/English/start.html>The
                          > *DJ*-Workstation is not a megabyte monster. It is small and fast. No
                          > registry entrys were doing an no rubbish will be copied in windows systen
                          > directory. *...*
                          > *dj*-workstation.de/English/start.html
                          >
                          > --
                          > Paul Puri
                          >
                          > My Blog
                          > http://www.paulpuri.blogspot.com
                          >
                          > My updates
                          > http://www.paulpuri.name
                          >
                          > My podcasting gear recommendations:
                          > http://podsafegear.com
                          >
                          > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.

                        • Martin McKeay
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                            Why not? Do you know what a LiveCD is? It's a Linux distro that you can
                            boot off of without making any changes to your real system to try out the
                            software. Most of them do have provisions for permanent installation on
                            your drive, but it's not necessary. Another thing you can do is make it
                            into a LiveUSB key, which enables some saving of the configuration to the
                            USBkey, still without making changes to your Windows system.

                            http://www.mckeay.net/2008/08/24/fedora-live-usb-creator/

                            Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
                            Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
                            and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
                            Email: martin@...
                            YIM: mmckeay@...
                            TwitterID: mckeay
                            (W) 707-495-7926

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                              I'll look into it. all that arm twisting and all...

                              Email: martin@... <mailto:martin%40mckeay.net>
                              YIM: mmckeay@... <mailto:mmckeay%40yahoo.com>

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                What isn't an option, running a LiveCD? It doesn't install anything on top
                                of Vista, yet you are able to test out the applications as when it is in the
                                CD drive and you boot up, it will boot Ubuntu and run the operating system
                                from the CD. No effect on your currently precious Windows machine. Save
                                the data to a USB drive.

                                Most of those applications can also be installed on XP, not sure about Vista
                                though.

                                Rich

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                  doh, sorry I didn't see that Martin had replied already. I might have to
                                  check out his podcast now too. :)

                                  Rich

                                  On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Rich Elswick <painbank@...> wrote:

                                  > What isn't an option, running a LiveCD? It doesn't install anything on top
                                  > of Vista, yet you are able to test out the applications as when it is in the
                                  > CD drive and you boot up, it will boot Ubuntu and run the operating system
                                  > from the CD. No effect on your currently precious Windows machine. Save
                                  > the data to a USB drive.
                                  >
                                  > Most of those applications can also be installed on XP, not sure about
                                  > Vista though.
                                  >
                                  > Rich

                                • Michael
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                    I just realized today as I was driving down the road why it wouldn't work.
                                    I can't reboot into ubuntu while I am podcasting because I usual podcast and
                                    work at the same time, and work has nothing to do with podcasting... SO,
                                    it's back to using my laptop so software is no longer an issue. Thanks for
                                    all the ideas though!

                                    What isn't an option, running a LiveCD? It doesn't install anything on top
                                    of Vista, yet you are able to test out the applications as when it is in the
                                    CD drive and you boot up, it will boot Ubuntu and run the operating system
                                    from the CD. No effect on your currently precious Windows machine. Save
                                    the data to a USB drive.

                                    Most of those applications can also be installed on XP, not sure about Vista
                                    though.

                                    Rich

                                    On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Michael <MRinger@...
                                    <mailto:MRinger%40austin.rr.com> > wrote:

                                    > That's not an option but thanks.
                                    >
                                    > From: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
                                    > podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>] On
                                    > Behalf Of Rich Elswick
                                    > Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:01 AM
                                    > To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > Subject: Re: [podcasters] Re: software
                                    >
                                    > download a LIve CD of Ubuntu Studio and try some of the apps on there....
                                    > http://ubuntustudio.org/
                                    >
                                    > You might even find a better solution than Vista. :)
                                    >
                                    > Rich
                                    >
                                    > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Michael <MRinger@...
                                    <mailto:MRinger%40austin.rr.com> <MRinger%40austin.rr.com>

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                      On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Michael <MRinger@...> wrote:
                                      > I just realized today as I was driving down the road why it wouldn't work.
                                      > I can't reboot into ubuntu while I am podcasting because I usual podcast and
                                      > work at the same time, and work has nothing to do with podcasting...

                                      You don't even have your full attention on your podcast at the moment
                                      you're recording it?

                                      Just curious... How are you doing for audience growth?

                                      http://www.escapepod.org
                                    • Waldo O
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                        On that subject, what is your podcast ABOUT? Is it like "Mike's HotDish"?
                                        Or similar Music podcasts?

                                        waldo

                                        --
                                        Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
                                        Executive Producer
                                        Giant Gnome Productions
                                        www.giantgnome.com
                                        MCCAIN FTW

                                        "...you know what? I still get out of bed
                                        every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
                                        Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
                                        else..."
                                        - Edward Morris

                                      • Mike Wills
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                          Wawawawawhat??? I'm awake... I'm awake... I swear it! Oh...
                                          In all seriousness, I also have been on a quest for a decent way to queue up
                                          all of the music and audio clips that I need/use for my previously mentioned
                                          show to do a live recording. It makes me feel more like a DJ. When I
                                          assemble it in clips, it just doesn't feel the same to me. I have been
                                          temped to see if I could hang out with a local DJ some evening for a little
                                          bit to see how the "pros" do it.

                                          One suggestion if you are using Gmail. Look at the ads that come up with
                                          this message. There was a couple that sound interesting... Seriously, they
                                          have some decent ads once in a while that might just solve what you are
                                          trying to do.

                                          http://register.virtualdjdownloads.com/download/index.aspx?sx=6298121a-da7c-41ea-9b73-3055f2ab6184
                                          http://www.rockit2000.com/

                                          On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Waldo O <americanbookmoghuls@...>wrote:

                                          > On that subject, what is your podcast ABOUT? Is it like "Mike's HotDish"?
                                          > Or similar Music podcasts?
                                          >
                                          > waldo
                                          >
                                          > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 22:25, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Michael <MRinger@...
                                          > <MRinger%40austin.rr.com>>
                                          > > wrote:
                                          > > > I just realized today as I was driving down the road why it wouldn't
                                          > > work.
                                          > > > I can't reboot into ubuntu while I am podcasting because I usual
                                          > podcast
                                          > > and
                                          > > > work at the same time, and work has nothing to do with podcasting...
                                          > >
                                          > > You don't even have your full attention on your podcast at the moment
                                          > > you're recording it?
                                          > >
                                          > > Just curious... How are you doing for audience growth?
                                          > >
                                          > > --
                                          > > Have Fun,
                                          > > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <sfeley%40gmail.com>)
                                          > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
                                          > > http://www.escapepod.org
                                          > >

                                          > --
                                          > Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
                                          > Executive Producer
                                          > Giant Gnome Productions
                                          > www.giantgnome.com
                                          > MCCAIN FTW
                                          >
                                          > "...you know what? I still get out of bed
                                          > every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
                                          > Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
                                          > else..."
                                          > - Edward Morris

                                          Mike Wills
                                          mike@...
                                          Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
                                          Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
                                          Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills

                                          Podcasts:
                                          Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
                                          Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

                                        • Michael
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                                            Its random music mainly industrial and techno and me trying to be funny.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                                              Yes and no, while music is going I can do other things. Its pretty much how
                                              I did things when I was doing college radio back in the 80's.