software

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
      I need some sort of dj software that is free and allows me to record and
      talk and is vista compatible. Podshow is out, so is there anything else?

    • David
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
        to do what? mixing? not using vista
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
          On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Michael <MRinger@...> wrote:
          > I need some sort of dj software that is free and allows me to record and
          > talk and is vista compatible. Podshow is out, so is there anything else?

          "DJ software" doesn't record. It does things that a DJ needs to do.
          DJs play music at parties. They don't podcast or talk.

          "Podshow" was never a software package. It was a Web site (before the
          company lost its mind.)

          I _think_ you're asking for audio recording and editing software. If
          so, check out Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net). It's free
          and simple to use.

          Good luck with your podcast. It's a great way to make yourself understood.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
            Nope, Audacity won't do it for me. I run a show with music. I was using
            Pod Producer (podproducer.net) but it doesn't work on vista nor has it been
            updated in over a year. I can't seem to figure out how to mix different
            "decks" with songs like a dj would with audacity. Hence something like dj
            software with at least two decks that I can record. I know record for all is
            out there, but since this is a hobby I am not able to spend the money..

            Any ideas?

            <mailto:MRinger%40austin.rr.com> > wrote:
            > I need some sort of dj software that is free and allows me to record and
            > talk and is vista compatible. Podshow is out, so is there anything else?

            "DJ software" doesn't record. It does things that a DJ needs to do.
            DJs play music at parties. They don't podcast or talk.

            "Podshow" was never a software package. It was a Web site (before the
            company lost its mind.)

            I _think_ you're asking for audio recording and editing software. If
            so, check out Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net). It's free
            and simple to use.

            Good luck with your podcast. It's a great way to make yourself understood.

            Steve Eley (sfeley@... <mailto:sfeley%40gmail.com> )
            http://www.escapepod.org

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
              I apparently didn't explain myself well. My current podcasting computer
              has vista on it. The software I used to use doesn't work on vista. I was
              looking for something that had two or three "decks" so I can load up
              different songs and such to mix in. Kinda like college radio, but no
              college.

                If so, tracks is the correct terminology...

                waldo

                On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 22:35, Michael <MRinger@...> wrote:

                > I apparently didn't explain myself well. My current podcasting computer
                > has vista on it. The software I used to use doesn't work on vista. I was
                > looking for something that had two or three "decks" so I can load up
                > different songs and such to mix in. Kinda like college radio, but no
                > college.

                Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
                Executive Producer
                Giant Gnome Productions
                www.giantgnome.com
                MCCAIN FTW

                "...you know what? I still get out of bed
                every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
                Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
                else..."
                - Edward Morris

              • danhughes@juno.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
                  Waldo asks, "Are "decks" like tracks? If so, tracks is the correct
                  terminology..."
                • Paul Puri
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
                    On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Waldo O <americanbookmoghuls@...>wrote:

                    > Are "decks" like tracks?
                    > If so, tracks is the correct terminology...

                    Google is your friend.

                    DJ Freeware:

                    Mixxx | Free Digital *DJ
                    Software*<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mixxx.org%2F&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNHNr1Ax9CegWkr19Nqgww57oGgThA&sig2=sSGOhyq4e62WSuAfnOWyxw>Mixxx
                    is free cross-platform digital *DJ software* with professional features like
                    parallel visual displays, beat estimation, beat matching, skins, EQs...
                    www.mixxx.org/

                    Free *DJ Software* for
                    Windows<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nch.com.au%2Fdj%2Findex.html&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNFKMpci9CUou8FPk7Hqp2hYbLkW2A&sig2=Eek5zgsUHdiywYZrmMEpZw>Download
                    this free program for *DJs* to mix music live using a Windows PC.
                    Professional *DJ software* without the cost.
                    www.nch.com.au/*dj*/index.html

                    Virtual *dj freeware*
                    download<http://en.softonic.com/s/virtual-dj-freeware>Download
                    virtual *dj freeware* - Weblin 2.8.2.1: Meet new people on each webpage you
                    visit, and much more downloads.
                    en.softonic.com/s/virtual-*dj*-*freeware

                    **DJ*-Workstation - A *Freeware
                    DJ*-Mixing-Tool<http://dj-workstation.de/English/start.html>The
                    *DJ*-Workstation is not a megabyte monster. It is small and fast. No
                    registry entrys were doing an no rubbish will be copied in windows systen
                    directory. *...*
                    *dj*-workstation.de/English/start.html

                    --
                    Paul Puri

                    My Blog
                    http://www.paulpuri.blogspot.com

                    My updates
                    http://www.paulpuri.name

                    My podcasting gear recommendations:
                    http://podsafegear.com

                    Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
                    http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                    Promotion without shame.
                    Podcasting Announcements

                  • Waldo O
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
                      Oh. Old tech! Gotcha :) jk Isn't that just like a playlist?

                      waldo

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
                        Yeah. back in the day we called them direct drive turn tables J

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
                          Thanks Paul, I will check those out.

                          <mailto:americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com> >wrote:

                          > Are "decks" like tracks?
                          > If so, tracks is the correct terminology...

                          Google is your friend.

                          DJ Freeware:

                          Mixxx | Free Digital *DJ
                          Software*<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t
                          <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.
                          mixxx.org%2F&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNHNr1Ax9CegWkr19Nqgww57oGgTh
                          A&sig2=sSGOhyq4e62WSuAfnOWyxw>
                          &source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mixxx.org%2F&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP
                          85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNHNr1Ax9CegWkr19Nqgww57oGgThA&sig2=sSGOhyq4e62WSuAfnOWyxw>M
                          ixxx
                          is free cross-platform digital *DJ software* with professional features like
                          parallel visual displays, beat estimation, beat matching, skins, EQs...
                          www.mixxx.org/

                          Free *DJ Software* for
                          Windows<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t
                          <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.
                          nch.com.au%2Fdj%2Findex.html&ei=g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNFKMpci9CUou
                          8FPk7Hqp2hYbLkW2A&sig2=Eek5zgsUHdiywYZrmMEpZw>
                          &source=web&ct=res&cd=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nch.com.au%2Fdj%2Findex.html&ei
                          =g6ndSLeLEomIsAP85oHnAw&usg=AFQjCNFKMpci9CUou8FPk7Hqp2hYbLkW2A&sig2=Eek5zgsU
                          HdiywYZrmMEpZw>Download
                          this free program for *DJs* to mix music live using a Windows PC.
                          Professional *DJ software* without the cost.
                          www.nch.com.au/*dj*/index.html

                          Virtual *dj freeware*
                          download<http://en.softonic.com/s/virtual-dj-freeware>Download
                          virtual *dj freeware* - Weblin 2.8.2.1: Meet new people on each webpage you
                          visit, and much more downloads.
                          en.softonic.com/s/virtual-*dj*-*freeware

                          **DJ*-Workstation - A *Freeware
                          DJ*-Mixing-Tool<http://dj-workstation.de/English/start.html>The
                          *DJ*-Workstation is not a megabyte monster. It is small and fast. No
                          registry entrys were doing an no rubbish will be copied in windows systen
                          directory. *...*
                          *dj*-workstation.de/English/start.html

                          --
                          Paul Puri

                          My Blog
                          http://www.paulpuri.blogspot.com

                          My updates
                          http://www.paulpuri.name

                          My podcasting gear recommendations:
                          http://podsafegear.com

                          Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
                          http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                          Promotion without shame.
                          Podcasting Announcements

                        • Rich Elswick
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                            download a LIve CD of Ubuntu Studio and try some of the apps on there....
                            http://ubuntustudio.org/

                            You might even find a better solution than Vista. :)

                            Rich

                            Rich Elswick
                            http://www.moyaentertainment.com

                          • andrew clarke
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                              On Fri 2008-09-26 21:35:38 UTC-0500, Michael (MRinger@...) wrote:

                              > I apparently didn't explain myself well. My current podcasting computer
                              > has vista on it. The software I used to use doesn't work on vista.

                              What software? What happens when you run it under Vista?

                              I remember some time ago Adam Curry promoting CastBlaster. Maybe
                              that's what you're referring to. If not, maybe it will work for you.

                              http://www.castblaster.com/

                              Although it does appear that the CastBlaster support forum has been
                              hit by some sort of trojan/virus, as currently there are spam links at
                              the top of the page:

                              http://www.castblaster.com/forums/

                              Also, the program seems quite expensive at $AUD 65.60 (I think that's
                              about $USD 50).

                              A bit discouraging really.

                              Regards
                              Andrew
                            • Michael
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                That's not an option but thanks.

                                download a LIve CD of Ubuntu Studio and try some of the apps on there....
                                http://ubuntustudio.org/

                                You might even find a better solution than Vista. :)

                                Rich

                                On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Michael <MRinger@...
                                <mailto:MRinger%40austin.rr.com> > wrote:

                                > Thanks Paul, I will check those out.
                                >
                                > From: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
                                > podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>] On
                                > Behalf Of Paul Puri
                                > Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 10:39 PM
                                > To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                > Subject: Re: [podcasters] Re: software
                                >
                                > On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Waldo O <americanbookmoghuls@...
                                <mailto:americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com> <americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com>

> [...]
                                > virtual *dj freeware* - Weblin 2.8.2.1: Meet new people on each webpage
                                > you
                                > visit, and much more downloads.
                                > en.softonic.com/s/virtual-*dj*-*freeware
                                >
                                > **DJ*-Workstation - A *Freeware
                                > DJ*-Mixing-Tool<http://dj-workstation.de/English/start.html>The
                                > *DJ*-Workstation is not a megabyte monster. It is small and fast. No
                                > registry entrys were doing an no rubbish will be copied in windows systen
                                > directory. *...*
                                > *dj*-workstation.de/English/start.html
                                >
                                > --
                                > Paul Puri
                                >
                                > My Blog
                                > http://www.paulpuri.blogspot.com
                                >
                                > My updates
                                > http://www.paulpuri.name
                                >
                                > My podcasting gear recommendations:
                                > http://podsafegear.com
                                >
                                > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.

                              • Martin McKeay
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                  Why not? Do you know what a LiveCD is? It's a Linux distro that you can
                                  boot off of without making any changes to your real system to try out the
                                  software. Most of them do have provisions for permanent installation on
                                  your drive, but it's not necessary. Another thing you can do is make it
                                  into a LiveUSB key, which enables some saving of the configuration to the
                                  USBkey, still without making changes to your Windows system.

                                  http://www.mckeay.net/2008/08/24/fedora-live-usb-creator/

                                  Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
                                  Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
                                  and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
                                  Email: martin@...
                                  YIM: mmckeay@...
                                  TwitterID: mckeay
                                  (W) 707-495-7926

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                    I'll look into it. all that arm twisting and all...

                                    Email: martin@... <mailto:martin%40mckeay.net>
                                    YIM: mmckeay@... <mailto:mmckeay%40yahoo.com>

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                      What isn't an option, running a LiveCD? It doesn't install anything on top
                                      of Vista, yet you are able to test out the applications as when it is in the
                                      CD drive and you boot up, it will boot Ubuntu and run the operating system
                                      from the CD. No effect on your currently precious Windows machine. Save
                                      the data to a USB drive.

                                      Most of those applications can also be installed on XP, not sure about Vista
                                      though.

                                      Rich

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                        doh, sorry I didn't see that Martin had replied already. I might have to
                                        check out his podcast now too. :)

                                        Rich

                                        On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Rich Elswick <painbank@...> wrote:

                                        > What isn't an option, running a LiveCD? It doesn't install anything on top
                                        > of Vista, yet you are able to test out the applications as when it is in the
                                        > CD drive and you boot up, it will boot Ubuntu and run the operating system
                                        > from the CD. No effect on your currently precious Windows machine. Save
                                        > the data to a USB drive.
                                        >
                                        > Most of those applications can also be installed on XP, not sure about
                                        > Vista though.
                                        >
                                        > Rich

                                      • Michael
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                          I just realized today as I was driving down the road why it wouldn't work.
                                          I can't reboot into ubuntu while I am podcasting because I usual podcast and
                                          work at the same time, and work has nothing to do with podcasting... SO,
                                          it's back to using my laptop so software is no longer an issue. Thanks for
                                          all the ideas though!

                                          What isn't an option, running a LiveCD? It doesn't install anything on top
                                          of Vista, yet you are able to test out the applications as when it is in the
                                          CD drive and you boot up, it will boot Ubuntu and run the operating system
                                          from the CD. No effect on your currently precious Windows machine. Save
                                          the data to a USB drive.

                                          Most of those applications can also be installed on XP, not sure about Vista
                                          though.

                                          Rich

                                          On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Michael <MRinger@...
                                          <mailto:MRinger%40austin.rr.com> > wrote:

                                          > That's not an option but thanks.
                                          >
                                          > From: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
                                          > podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>] On
                                          > Behalf Of Rich Elswick
                                          > Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:01 AM
                                          > To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          > Subject: Re: [podcasters] Re: software
                                          >
                                          > download a LIve CD of Ubuntu Studio and try some of the apps on there....
                                          > http://ubuntustudio.org/
                                          >
                                          > You might even find a better solution than Vista. :)
                                          >
                                          > Rich
                                          >
                                          > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Michael <MRinger@...
                                          <mailto:MRinger%40austin.rr.com> <MRinger%40austin.rr.com>

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                            On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Michael <MRinger@...> wrote:
                                            > I just realized today as I was driving down the road why it wouldn't work.
                                            > I can't reboot into ubuntu while I am podcasting because I usual podcast and
                                            > work at the same time, and work has nothing to do with podcasting...

                                            You don't even have your full attention on your podcast at the moment
                                            you're recording it?

                                            Just curious... How are you doing for audience growth?

                                            http://www.escapepod.org
                                          • Waldo O
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                              On that subject, what is your podcast ABOUT? Is it like "Mike's HotDish"?
                                              Or similar Music podcasts?

                                              waldo

                                              --
                                              Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
                                              Executive Producer
                                              Giant Gnome Productions
                                              www.giantgnome.com
                                              MCCAIN FTW

                                              "...you know what? I still get out of bed
                                              every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
                                              Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
                                              else..."
                                              - Edward Morris

                                            • Mike Wills
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
                                                Wawawawawhat??? I'm awake... I'm awake... I swear it! Oh...
                                                In all seriousness, I also have been on a quest for a decent way to queue up
                                                all of the music and audio clips that I need/use for my previously mentioned
                                                show to do a live recording. It makes me feel more like a DJ. When I
                                                assemble it in clips, it just doesn't feel the same to me. I have been
                                                temped to see if I could hang out with a local DJ some evening for a little
                                                bit to see how the "pros" do it.

                                                One suggestion if you are using Gmail. Look at the ads that come up with
                                                this message. There was a couple that sound interesting... Seriously, they
                                                have some decent ads once in a while that might just solve what you are
                                                trying to do.

                                                http://register.virtualdjdownloads.com/download/index.aspx?sx=6298121a-da7c-41ea-9b73-3055f2ab6184
                                                http://www.rockit2000.com/

                                                On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Waldo O <americanbookmoghuls@...>wrote:

                                                > On that subject, what is your podcast ABOUT? Is it like "Mike's HotDish"?
                                                > Or similar Music podcasts?
                                                >
                                                > waldo
                                                >
                                                > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 22:25, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Michael <MRinger@...
                                                > <MRinger%40austin.rr.com>>
                                                > > wrote:
                                                > > > I just realized today as I was driving down the road why it wouldn't
                                                > > work.
                                                > > > I can't reboot into ubuntu while I am podcasting because I usual
                                                > podcast
                                                > > and
                                                > > > work at the same time, and work has nothing to do with podcasting...
                                                > >
                                                > > You don't even have your full attention on your podcast at the moment
                                                > > you're recording it?
                                                > >
                                                > > Just curious... How are you doing for audience growth?
                                                > >
                                                > > --
                                                > > Have Fun,
                                                > > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <sfeley%40gmail.com>)
                                                > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
                                                > > http://www.escapepod.org
                                                > >

                                                > --
                                                > Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
                                                > Executive Producer
                                                > Giant Gnome Productions
                                                > www.giantgnome.com
                                                > MCCAIN FTW
                                                >
                                                > "...you know what? I still get out of bed
                                                > every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
                                                > Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
                                                > else..."
                                                > - Edward Morris

                                                Mike Wills
                                                mike@...
                                                Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
                                                Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
                                                Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills

                                                Podcasts:
                                                Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
                                                Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

                                              • Michael
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                                                  Its random music mainly industrial and techno and me trying to be funny.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                                                    Yes and no, while music is going I can do other things. Its pretty much how
                                                    I did things when I was doing college radio back in the 80's.